• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

Super-nice trog, Mike and the avocet sheet is terrfific. Nice to see the same vigour and sense of urgency in the sitting b-hg as in the bouncing wheatear. . . . . all in all, I'd say you were well and truly back in the game"!

Heading away from birds on sticks back towards something a bit more meaty now.

My Singapore trip last year was pretty visually overwhelming, and it's taken me this long to start assimilating the experience. Every bird seemed to be exotic and 'jungly' to me. Amongst the commonest birds were Black Naped Orioles, which are not only exotic in their bright yellow plumage, but also have a very loud and fantastically evocative call, so 'jungly'! Palms are also pretty exotic and 'jungly' and they make really interesting patterns in the sun so I've put the two together for a painting that looks like an '80s Hawaiian shirt fabric...

Mike

Attachments

• Black Naped Oriole low.jpg
    Black Naped Oriole low.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 92
..so I've put the two together for a painting that looks like an '80s Hawaiian shirt fabric...

Mike

No Hawaiian shirt after had the complex depth of this Mike! I think you've done a great job of combining bird and environment. I'd be very happy with this one.

It's juicy, exotic and brilliantly lit, painted with feeling and love. Cracker. And a timely viewing on my part as there was a bright gold male G oriole in Stromness this very afternoon!

Thanks all.

I'm getting back up and running with the brushes now and since I'm on a roll I needed a short project to keep me going. I had a small scrap of illustration board hanging about so I jumped in and did this. It's about 16"x6" so not too daunting!

Mike

Attachments

• Passin' through.jpg
    Passin' through.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 77
the oriole is a delight - so bright and rich in pattern. Coincidentally, I'm playing with palm fronds at the moment, but the birds in them are a little less gaudy. The pheasant is wonderful - I don't think I've ever seen such good grass.

I went out a couple of times over the weekend and got a bit of sketching done. I've put together a very small acrylic field kit from the pots from a cheap kiddies paint by numbers set, a storage tub, short handled brushes and a pair of Val's old knickers. I had a few issues with layout but I reckon with some fine tuning it ought to work. The shoveller was the first crack at using it.

BHGs have taken over the scrape for nesting this year and not a lot else is getting a look in so they went in the book.

The orchard had whitethroats flitting about, luckily despite the way they never seem to stay still for long, they did return to the same spots time and again so I got some pretty ropey sketches.

There were good numbers of swifts kept relatively low over the water because of the weather so I tried to get a feel for them but they are swift!

There are almost always lapwings and, for the moment, yellow wags are pretty much guaranteed, it was interesting watching this one spreading his tail and making little forward runs in what I assume was a territorial or breeding display.

On a different trip I got a little owl fix at last; they've been elusive of late at Elmley. This one, at Oare, was preening, quietly minding his own business, well hidden in a hedge and I managed to get a quick sketch before a magpie turned up and started running rings around him. The owl obviously decided that enough was enough and actually chased the maggie off! You've got to admire their pluck!

Mike

Attachments

• shvlr.jpg
    shvlr.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 42
  • bhgs-n-shvlr.jpg
    bhgs-n-shvlr.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 34
  • bhgs.jpg
    bhgs.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 26
  • laps.jpg
    laps.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 37
  • swfts-and-reedbunt.jpg
    swfts-and-reedbunt.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 25
More sketchbook

Mike

Attachments

• whthrts.jpg
    whthrts.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 38
  • ywagdisplay.jpg
    ywagdisplay.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 31
  • lilowl.jpg
    lilowl.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back