Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pelagic trips Chile

Old Wednesday 12th December 2012, 07:16   #1
tringbirds

Pelagic trips Chile

I have tried contacting a number of Chilean sites advertising pelagic trips out of Valparaiso, but unfortunately none reply. Either the mail does not get there or they cannot be bothered to reply or perhaps there is some other genuine reason. This is all a little frustrating as I shall be in Chile next month and am wanting to take a pelagic trip as the reports read of a fantastic experience.
Has any one experience of organising a pelagic trip or knows of a genuine company which organises such trips?
thank you
Old Wednesday 12th December 2012, 09:08   #2
toby

When I went (December 2000 I think), we didn't have anything booked. The gen we had told us to just turn up at the docks at Valparaiso the day before with binoculars and somebody will realise that there are birders after a pelagic. Must admit, I like to have these things booked in advance, but on this occasion it worked perfectly for us. Within 10 minutes or so we had negotiated a price on a fishing boat for the next day. The fishermen had obviously done it before and provided chum and the day worked out perfectly; a fantastic pelagic.

That said, the boat's engine did fail and we ended up drifting without any communications half way to Easter Island whilst they repaired it. If memory serves, they tried to charge us afterwards for the extra hours we had out at sea!

Toby
Old Wednesday 12th December 2012, 10:38   #3
hamish a

I used this Company....

http://www.fsexpeditions.com/mainlan...valparaiso.php

However I did find communication a problem although in the end everything worked out well
Old Wednesday 12th December 2012, 18:02   #4
Alan henry

I know both the owners of http://www.fantasticosur.com/en/ and can assure you they would never ignore an email.

Go with them and you will have a fantastic trip.

Cheers

Alan
www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/falklandbirder
Old Friday 14th December 2012, 08:23   #5
tringbirds

Pelagic trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan henry View Post
I know both the owners of http://www.fantasticosur.com/en/ and can assure you they would never ignore an email.

Go with them and you will have a fantastic trip.

Cheers

Alan
www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/falklandbirder
Thank you for this and others who have replied above..
Old Tuesday 18th December 2012, 13:28   #6
erizzo

Albatross Birding is also a very option for a pelagic off Valparaiso, the guide is a very experienced birder.

http://www.albatross-birding.com/bir.../tours_04.html
Old Tuesday 18th December 2012, 14:41   #7
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I could not get the dates to fit with pelagic on Fantastico Sur, but did a one day (land-based) outing in Patagonia with them and had a fantastic day.

My Chile report from 2009 is here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161985 At that time, we used Aconcagua Birding for the pelagic, but their website seems not to work at least today.

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 08:28   #8
tringbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I could not get the dates to fit with pelagic on Fantastico Sur, but did a one day (land-based) outing in Patagonia with them and had a fantastic day.

My Chile report from 2009 is here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161985 At that time, we used Aconcagua Birding for the pelagic, but their website seems not to work at least today.

Niels
Hi Sorry for delay in responding. Aconcagua appears to be now Chileanbirding with whom I am arranging a trip, but communication is painful.
Both have similar sites and same leaders. Just hope it works out as I have sent my deposit. They appear to be genuine but until I get there...?
cheers
Doug
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: