• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bewick swans ? (2 Viewers)

As they appear to not have the nostril extensions how do you tell please ?

Now Mutes are my speciality but to my eyes these swans look just too big and bulky to be Bewick's and the yellow on the bills is actually very extensive it just doesn't look like it from the angle that the photo was taken.

Steve.

Dont they say something like Wedge of Cheese for Whooper Swan

A lot of Black for Bewick's Swan.

For me Whooper Swans, as size and the amount of yellow on the bill is too extensive.

Another picture which seems to show no extension ?
Can they be young whoopers ?

Attachments

• DSC_1060.jpg
    DSC_1060.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 121
Whoopers for me too.. long neck, bulky and on the last picture you can see the nostril cutting into the yellow.

Another for Whoopers. The yellow bases, although individually variable, all seem to come to a sharp point at the cutting edge. I know its subjective but Whoopers always look more 'swan-like' in flight, Bewicks / Tundra are more like geese.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back