• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx joins with Cornell (1 Viewer)

Yes; this, printscreen just now:

That's odd. I get Grey Plover and I'm based in Portugal. I get the "Grey Plover" result either by searching directly on ebird (as you did) or by entering Grey Plover + ebird on Google.
I get two options for Portuguese as well, for Portuguese of Portugal and Portuguese of Brazil (common names differ between both for a number of species), respectively Tarambola-cinzenta and Batuiruçu-de-axila-preta (which Portuguese birders don't use and find dreadful etc... similar "problem" to what you have between the UK and US...).

That's odd. I get Grey Plover and I'm based in Portugal. I get the "Grey Plover" result either by searching directly on ebird (as you did) or by entering Grey Plover + ebird on Google.
I get two options for Portuguese as well, for Portuguese of Portugal and Portuguese of Brazil (common names differ between both for a number of species), respectively Tarambola-cinzenta and Batuiruçu-de-axila-preta (which Portuguese birders don't use and find dreadful etc... similar "problem" to what you have between the UK and US...).

I get different results depending which browser I'm using, all on Windows. Searching for Grey Plover works fine with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Opera but does not with Chrome or Firefox.

By the same original logic, I suppose I should complain about the agony of having to see the word "encyclopaedia" at the top of Bird Forum every time I log in. Its amazing that a British-based website would not cater immediately and automatically to my U.S. spelling preferences!

I know that some will try hard to find problems no matter what, but there are 450,000 users and over 34 million checklists in the system from those who are able to overcome their quibbles with it. I'm not saying eBird is without its faults - it must continue to improve as it has since the early 2000s - but frankly there are much bigger problems than this one, which I think the majority of users would believe is practically solved already.

The spellchecker does.

I get different results depending which browser I'm using, all on Windows. Searching for Grey Plover works fine with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Opera but does not with Chrome or Firefox.

As Opera these days is built on top of chrome, even stranger.

Niels

Yes; this, printscreen just now:

I get the same thing from Microsoft Edge while not signed in; but if I start typing "Pluvialis", for example, I get a lot of possibilities. So it's only accepting scientific names for the query. But if I'm signed in then I can type Clements names into the box.

As for Firefox, it works the same way whether I'm signed in or not. But I usually use Firefox so maybe there's some cookies lying around which are confusing the issue.

And Chrome works like Edge for me.

I'm in Canada by the way, maybe if I lived in the US it would be different.

Broadly: all the tea-leaf reading here about "works in one browser or another" is pretty much absent any analysis of why it might work in one place or another or what's really happening. So:

When the eBird map looks up a bird name, it's sending a request that looks like:

https://ebird.org/ws2.0/ref/taxon/find?key=[REDACTED]&locale=[YOUR LOCALE]&q=grey+plover

(The key is easily discoverable by examining HTTP requests, but didn't want to put it in this doc.)

With that request above, if locale=en ("English"), you get nothing. If locale=en_UK ("UK English), you get Pluvialis squatarola.

So where's the locale come from? It happens to be generated in the HTML for the originating page, back on the eBird servers. (View source for the eBird map page, and search for "sppLocale".)

Now, I can't look at their source code, but I can experiment a bit. And what's pretty clear is:
- If you're logged-in to eBird, they take the species name display at https://ebird.org/prefs and use that.
- If you're not logged-in, it's using the "Accept-Language" header to figure out what language you'd most like to see. (It's possible they look at some other settings too in the absence of or in preference to Accept-Language; I can't know that.)

This page has a pretty good overview of per-browser settings that effect this https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-lang-priorities . I was able to verify (in Chrome) that changing my preferred language from English to English (UK) made the map suddenly find results for Grey Plover.

So when people are seeing "I get different results in different browsers", it's entirely one of:
- You are logged-in with one browser and logged-out with another, and the eBird preferences are different than your browser's language preferences, OR
- Those browsers have different language preferences

Broadly: all the tea-leaf reading here about "works in one browser or another" is pretty much absent any analysis of why it might work in one place or another or what's really happening. So:

When the eBird map looks up a bird name, it's sending a request that looks like:

https://ebird.org/ws2.0/ref/taxon/find?key=[REDACTED]&locale=[YOUR LOCALE]&q=grey+plover

(The key is easily discoverable by examining HTTP requests, but didn't want to put it in this doc.)

With that request above, if locale=en ("English"), you get nothing. If locale=en_UK ("UK English), you get Pluvialis squatarola.

So where's the locale come from? It happens to be generated in the HTML for the originating page, back on the eBird servers. (View source for the eBird map page, and search for "sppLocale".)

Now, I can't look at their source code, but I can experiment a bit. And what's pretty clear is:
- If you're logged-in to eBird, they take the species name display at https://ebird.org/prefs and use that.
- If you're not logged-in, it's using the "Accept-Language" header to figure out what language you'd most like to see. (It's possible they look at some other settings too in the absence of or in preference to Accept-Language; I can't know that.)

This page has a pretty good overview of per-browser settings that effect this https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-lang-priorities . I was able to verify (in Chrome) that changing my preferred language from English to English (UK) made the map suddenly find results for Grey Plover.

So when people are seeing "Ihttps://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/pint1.gif get different results in different browsers", it's entirely one of:
- You are logged-in with one browser and logged-out with another, and the eBird preferences are different than your browser's language preferences, OR
- Those browsers have different language preferences

That makes sense, apart fron the code bit......B :)

Back to the take over of HBW by Cornell...

I've not seen any information thus far on how sensitive records will be handled in the data migration ?

I've just added a list my HBW account that includes a sighting yesterday that me and my Finnish birding mentor would not place in the public domain (he has entered it to our "Tiira" recording system as a locked item only we can see (for valid reasons).

HBW doesn't let me mark it as sensitive as far as I can tell but my sightings are only visible to me at present. If this is migrated to eBird how will this be taken care of?

Whilst some species may be review species in eBird for same, sensitivity, reasons, this sighting is only hidden at a local level by us because we know the local situation: we could equally have entered it as an open view record to the Tiira system if we chose to.

So the question is what control do I, as the user, have over such events in eBird? Both in terms of the migration of bulk data and then at the list imput level in future should I choose to use eBird?

You can always choose to change a checklist or a sighting to private in ebird. The system is not perfect but there is one.

You are for example asked to do that if you for list building purposes enter you life list for an area as a list instead of entering the individual sightings with correct time for each.

Niels

As Niels says, you can mark a checklist in eBird as "Hidden". This means that it's not visible to the public in any way. And eBird has a long list of species which are "sensitive". Sightings of these species are also not visible to the public in any way, this happens automatically and you can't avoid that. The list of sensitive species is here:

Sensitive Species List

These sensitive species are automatically hidden no matter what form of data entry was used to put them into eBird, so if your bird is on this list then it's taken care of. Otherwise since HBW doesn't allow you to flag it to be hidden then I would assume that it won't be hidden when it gets into eBird. You'd have to go in after your data is moved into eBird and mark all sightings of it as hidden.

As Niels says, you can mark a checklist in eBird as "Hidden". This means that it's not visible to the public in any way. And eBird has a long list of species which are "sensitive". Sightings of these species are also not visible to the public in any way, this happens automatically and you can't avoid that. The list of sensitive species is here:

Sensitive Species List

These sensitive species are automatically hidden no matter what form of data entry was used to put them into eBird, so if your bird is on this list then it's taken care of. Otherwise since HBW doesn't allow you to flag it to be hidden then I would assume that it won't be hidden when it gets into eBird. You'd have to go in after your data is moved into eBird and mark all sightings of it as hidden.

Not found that "hidden" feature so one concern addressed...thanks...it does mean that those of us having our records migrated from HBW to eBird will have to adjust their status after migration I suppose but it should only be a fraction of the total data...

Sensitive Species List

Given that we are speaking about (mostly?) UK data from UK individuals, doesn't that mean if data that an individual wanted hidden, under the Data Protection Act it cannot be revealed intentionally, unintentionally or due to a data-processing system change without the express prior permission of the data owner for each individual item that is revealed...?

If that be the case, then this switch of Lynx database to Cornell would be illegal under UK and (until the possible implementation of Brexit) EU Laws...?
MJB

Given that we are speaking about (mostly?) UK data from UK individuals, doesn't that mean if data that an individual wanted hidden, under the Data Protection Act it cannot be revealed intentionally, unintentionally or due to a data-processing system change without the express prior permission of the data owner for each individual item that is revealed...?

If that be the case, then this switch of Lynx database to Cornell would be illegal under UK and (until the possible implementation of Brexit) EU Laws...?
MJB

I have a feeling that there will be small print covering this, you probably waived any rights unknowingly unless you're the type to read such minutiae and who saw this coming anyway?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back