• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

Is anyone else struggling with the apparent delight by the media in saying that it is not working and vague statements without any attempt to quantify the progress that seems to have been made? It also now seems to be a well kicked political football.

I know that many are now working from home. A lot of the images that they show with less delight show areas being deserted (though many will shortly be closed). Pictures of lines of cars doesn't mean social distancing has not been met. I cannot help but think that limiting opening times and limiting open spaces concentrates people.

Clearly that said, there are people ignoring the guidance in some locations - a group of seven teenage boys walking back from a kickaround in a tight group engaging in horse play this afternoon looked like a good way to ensure the spread across seven families but every chance one of those families will go to the same supermarket as us........

Has anyone got a site with daily UK deaths? I was interested in Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday separately.

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
It does seem with a Prime Ministerial announcement at 8.30pm that the media's desired police powers and additional restrictions may be forthcoming?

Stay safe.

Is anyone else struggling with the apparent delight by the media in saying that it is not working and vague statements without any attempt to quantify the progress that seems to have been made? It also now seems to be a well kicked political football.

I know that many are now working from home. A lot of the images that they show with less delight show areas being deserted (though many will shortly be closed). Pictures of lines of cars doesn't mean social distancing has not been met. I cannot help but think that limiting opening times and limiting open spaces concentrates people.

Clearly that said, there are people ignoring the guidance in some locations - a group of seven teenage boys walking back from a kickaround in a tight group engaging in horse play this afternoon looked like a good way to ensure the spread across seven families but every chance one of those families will go to the same supermarket as us........

Has anyone got a site with daily UK deaths? I was interested in Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday separately.

Good luck everyone.

I took the baby out this afternoon and there was a marked increase in people applying the social distancing. On one occasion, we passed through a small alleyway where people would usually just pass each other fairly closely and a mother and daughter waited at the end for us to pass rather than get too close.

At least in the UK, most of the party political crap has been put aside for the moment. Sadly, the same cannot be said in America where another, vulgar, partizan standoff seems to be ongoing in congress where an emergency aid package is being held up. Justifiably, I don't know but from the tiny bit I've seen, it has Trumps, shady fingerprints all over it.

Profiteering too as individual states, try to outbid each other in the quest for medical equipment which is pushing up prices.

Last edited:
My note of Boris this evening:-

“From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction. You must stay at home because the critical thing we must do is to stop the disease spreading between households. That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:-
(i) Shopping for basic necessities as infrequently as possible;
(ii) One form of exercise a day for example a run, walk or cycle alone or with members of your household;
(iii) Any medical need;
(iv) To provide care or help a vulnerable person; and
(v) Travelling to and from work but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.
That’s all. These are the only reasons you should leave your home.”

All the best

At least in the UK, most of the party political crap has been put aside for the moment. Sadly, the same cannot be said in America where another, vulgar, partizan standoff seems to be ongoing in congress where an emergency aid package is being held up. Justifiably, I don't know but from the tiny bit I've seen, it has Trumps, shady fingerprints all over it.

Profiteering too as individual states, try to outbid each other in the quest for medical equipment which is pushing up prices.

It has McConnell's reptilian paws all over it. Trump is incapable of strategy.

Having watched Boris’s speech ,I find myself not really wiser on what we are allowed to do re “exercise “. Are we still allowed a short drive into the surrounding countryside as long as we are vigilant about keeping our distance from others ? That’s what I did today. Or are we restricted to a walk from our house , which for most of us means passing many others along the way ?

“From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction. You must stay at home because the critical thing we must do is to stop the disease spreading between households. That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:-
(i) Shopping for basic necessities as infrequently as possible;
(ii) One form of exercise a day for example a run, walk or cycle alone or with members of your household;
(iii) Any medical need;
(iv) To provide care or help a vulnerable person; and
(v) Travelling to and from work but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.
That’s all. These are the only reasons you should leave your home.”

For anyone engaged in business, there is a key difference from Boris Johnson's speech and the guidance (attached) albeit both shades of opaque:-

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons.

● Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
● One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
● Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
● Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others (1).pdf
    129.9 KB · Views: 18
Re post 609 by Cheshire Birder, my wife and I posed exactly the same question. It must surely be safer to drive a short distance to the countryside if possible rather than walk from your home, particularly if you live in a built-up area. How can you practise social distancing on a narrow, crowded pavement?

Dave W

Nice and dry now and we are not allowed out ?

"● One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household."

Re post 609 by Cheshire Birder, my wife and I posed exactly the same question. It must surely be safer to drive a short distance to the countryside if possible rather than walk from your home, particularly if you live in a built-up area. How can you practise social distancing on a narrow, crowded pavement?

Dave W

Having watched Boris’s speech ,I find myself not really wiser on what we are allowed to do re “exercise “. Are we still allowed a short drive into the surrounding countryside as long as we are vigilant about keeping our distance from others ? That’s what I did today. Or are we restricted to a walk from our house , which for most of us means passing many others along the way ?

I believe that legislation will follow and the devil will be in the detail. It certainly needs more precision than currently but I suspect that it will be starting and returning from home or work without allowing additional car travel.

All the best

That pretty much covers 90% of my normal birding even pre-virus! On my bike, on my own. So it'll affect me surprisingly little. Some hides being closed will be the worst downside.

Looks like the garden/yard listing forum’s readership might just attract a few more players, as it looks very much like life listing will be on the back burner for the foreseeable future?

Cheers

Looks like the garden/yard listing forum’s readership might just attract a few more players, as it looks very much like life listing will be on the back burner for the foreseeable future?

Presume you mean year listing ... yes and general twitching. And get those moth and other invertebrate books out too ;)

It has just struck me that this doesn't cover schoolchildren of key workers going to school......

More holes than answers so far. Hopefully, it will be fleshed out a bit.

All the best

I have said previously that the World cannot just stop, indefinitely. There may have to come a time when politicians have to make the brutal choice of restarting the World economy and coming to terms with 'acceptable losses'?

It's almost certainly, going to be Trump then.

'New York Governor Andrew Cuomo appeared to suggest the president was putting the country's economic well-being ahead of its public health, tweeting: "You cannot put a value on human life."

It's far too early to do it now but this is exactly what has to happen at some point, politicians have been putting a price on human lives for centuries, every time they start a war and send their men to fight.

I'd love to know how much Trumps worth has dropped in this mess?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back