Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

East London Birders Lee Valley Birders?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 23rd December 2007, 15:56   #1
streatham

East London Birders Lee Valley Birders?

Hi All,

I am going to be based with my family in the Old Street area for a couple of weeks. Apart from the Lee Valley is there anywhere else nearby that I should consider birding. Also anybody got a likely species list for Lee Valley in winter. I am going to probably be limited to the lower part of the area. Preferably accessible by public transport. I have one day actually birding planned but want some suggestions of where I can just go for a walk locally each day. If I can see a few interesting passerines (not just titmice and the common breeding finches) and maybe a gull or two that I can ID with my bins I'll be happy (can't be bothered to lug the Swarovski).

Luke

my blog: www.underclearskies.com
Old Sunday 23rd December 2007, 16:43   #2
dbradnum

Hi Luke

I'm pretty local to the area, so I'll send you a PM with an annotated species list shortly. In the mean time, you might want to check out the following two sites which will give you an idea of what's about currently:

http://editthis.info/londonbirders/LatestNews
http://www.elbf.co.uk/birdsightings.htm

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 23rd December 2007, 16:50   #3
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

Hi all, Does anybody know whether or not the Biiterns are still at Lee Valley CP because I went there a few years back and had stunning views and now that I have a decent camera I would go and have a look if they were there.
Many Thanks,
Lee
Old Sunday 23rd December 2007, 16:54   #4
dbradnum

Lee - the Bitterns have been very difficult to find in the valley over the last couple of winters. As far as I'm aware, there's only been a handful of records this winter. Hopefully one or two will have come in with the recent cold snap and easterlies...

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 23rd December 2007, 18:26   #5
streatham

Thanks for the link David - I might go chase that Ring-billed Gull Seriously though useful sites.

Cheers - Luke

Old Monday 24th December 2007, 14:25   #6
Xenospiza
Undescribed

There has been a Bittern at Amwell (in November), but I failed to see it. It seems to have disappeared anyway... Smew (4 drakes now - but tricky!), Water Rails out in the open, Little Egret roost, and usually some birdwatchers who may have more gen. Amwell is easy enough to reach from St. Margaret's (East Hertford line).
Rainham Marshes is one of the sites that may well be worth your efforts to reach (15 minutes walk from Purfleet station: Bearded Tit, Short-eared Owl, harriers and geese possible).
Southend Pier has a nice collection of confiding Med Gulls at its head, but that may be stretching it a bit?
Old Monday 24th December 2007, 15:22   #7
Grousemore

Hi Luke,

Some good suggestions above.

You'll be near Liverpool St station, so a train to Leigh on Sea would be easy enough and the station is right by Two Tree Island, which is a good spot.
The Southend RSPB site gives directions to the site and others locally, link below:-
http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/

Have a good trip and Happy Xmas,

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th December 2007, 16:41   #8
Charles Letterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousemore View Post
Hi Luke,

Some good suggestions above.

You'll be near Liverpool St station, so a train to Leigh on Sea would be easy enough and the station is right by Two Tree Island, which is a good spot.
The Southend RSPB site gives directions to the site and others locally, link below:-
http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/

Have a good trip and Happy Xmas,
I think Liverpool Street Station is closed this holiday, so beware! Also, some other lines really badly affected by engineering works.
Old Monday 24th December 2007, 16:55   #9
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Luckily, trains to Leigh-on-Sea depart from Fenchurch Street!
Old Monday 24th December 2007, 18:55   #10
MarkHows
Mostly Mammals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
There has been a Bittern at Amwell (in November), but I failed to see it. It seems to have disappeared anyway... Smew (4 drakes now - but tricky!), Water Rails out in the open, Little Egret roost, and usually some birdwatchers who may have more gen. Amwell is easy enough to reach from St. Margaret's (East Hertford line).
Rainham Marshes is one of the sites that may well be worth your efforts to reach (15 minutes walk from Purfleet station: Bearded Tit, Short-eared Owl, harriers and geese possible).
Southend Pier has a nice collection of confiding Med Gulls at its head, but that may be stretching it a bit?
Amwell Smew are very reliable but not much else in the Lee Valley at the moment, but agree Rainham good and if you want Bittern, then Barnes WWT has one currently.

Mark

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th December 2007, 00:10   #11
streatham

Thanks for all the info guys. I am probably limited to just hiking the canal towards Hackney Marches for a couple of days but hopefully I'll get further afield after that. Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Luke

Old Sunday 6th January 2008, 18:26   #12
Xenospiza
Undescribed

As always, a reliable (but distant!) Bittern is at Amwell now (flying into roost at dusk).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: