Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New to the pond

Old Friday 4th January 2008, 13:51   #1
jonhlane

New to the pond

There has been a couple of new birds in our local millpond lately, I've looked in the books I have and can't find out what they are. I'm also trying to get some photos and if I do I'll post them here.
They are small and brown all over, slightly smaller than a moorhen. I couldn't see any outstanding markings but it dives, it's very quick and it came near to where I was standing a few times and I could see it flying underwater. Brilliant to watch and something I've never seen before. Does any one know what this might be? I'm in the far southwest of England in Hayle. Thanks, John.
Old Friday 4th January 2008, 13:54   #2
MattM

Sounds like they could be Little Grebes - they appear pretty much all brown at this time of year, and dive a lot.
Old Friday 4th January 2008, 14:04   #3
jonhlane

Yes, I've found that in the book and it does look a bit like that. Thank you. I'll try again tomorrow to get a photo, if the weather gets a bit better.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: