• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-throated Tit (Aegithalos concinnus) which sub-specie is this? (1 Viewer)

Happy New Year to all!!!

I have just returned from my 10-day trip up to Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand. This is bird of the trip and I have a question for you.

This small bird was photographed at ca. 1500m at Doi Pha Hom Pok where it is a locally common resident. The Thai name of this bird is Red-headed Tit, which came from its rufous crown.

According to Craig Robson's A field guide to the bird of Thailand, the sub-specie to be found here is A. c. pulchellus which has grey crown, completely against the local name. The bird in picture also has wider black mask, more rufous on belly and faint grey behind eye-brow.

Which sub-specie is this? Thank you very much for your comments.

Attachments

• Black-throated-Tit.jpg
    Black-throated-Tit.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Black-throated-Tit-03.jpg
    Black-throated-Tit-03.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 233
Hi Suppalak,
Happy New Year!!!
I'd say it is a Black-throated Tit of the sub-species manipurensis. "Aegithalos concinnus manipurensis ". This sub-species is found in eastern India which is not far from Thailand and shows the deep rufous breast and white belly evident in your image. You can see a different looking bird at:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14474&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Hope that helps. Sure the more knowledgeable will confirm the ID for you.
Cheers!
Sumit

Stunning bird!

According to Harrap & Quinn (Tits, Nuthatches & Treecreepers), this species in northern Thailand is "presumably" represented by race pulchellus, but your pics look most like race talifuensis (NE Burma to SW China).

The tree is Pinus kesiya.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back