• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

New garden touchdown

Had a Woodcock touch down briefly in the garden yesterday. Have regular flyovers especially when roding but this was a first on terra firma

Also like your House Finch Jeff, sounds like a great variety, I have many of the same as you minus the Warbler, WW Doves( I have Mourning Doves), or the Mockingbird.

Hi, Linda.

We used to get a lot of Mourning Doves but the White-winged Doves have moved into our area in the past 8-10 years and they seem to be displacing both Mourning and Inca Doves.

Another winter bird appeared in our yard yesterday afternoon - Yellow-rumped Warbler. So the only regular winter visitor that hasn't turned up yet is my favorite, Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Of course, there's always a chance that some less-common species will arrive. Pine Siskin and Red-breasted Nuthatch are in our area this year so I'll be hoping!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Broken Feeder

I have a standard RSPB feeding pole with seed feeder at top of the pole. This week I noticed the feeder on the ground and on investigation, the plastic screw fitting in the base of the feeder that fits in the pole had been completed sheared off. It looks like something has hit the feeder with some strength to completelely snap the plastic fitting in two. Could this have been a Sparrowhawk? Even at full speed thats some hit and it must have been badly hurt (no signs of dead bird in garden.) Has anyone else had something similar happen to their pole feeder?

From a human act viewpoint I suppose there are plenty of things that could have happened here but I have a pretty sheltered garden and I doubt whether anyone bothered to get over the fences just to do something like this and leave everything else untouched.

Any clues out there?

A sprinkling of snow this morning and the feeders were buzzing. Blue, Great, Coal and Long-tailed Tits, Goldfinch two squabbling Robins, Blackbirds, Woodpigeons and Dunnocks.:t::t:

Copy of first snow 002.jpg

Last edited:
Well, woke up to some wonderful snow this morning, Here is a picture of the little smattering we would get over night, 6" in the garden
051.jpg

053.jpg

They were taken this morning. Bird wise, Song Thrush paid a visit, first in a while, plenty of blue tits and great tits, coal tit put in an appearance as did around 20 chaffinches, have heard Redpolls flying over, but none visiting the garden yet.

An inch or so of snow overnight meant a busy day in the garden. Visitors included marsh (or willow) tit, pied wagtail, song thrush, sparrowhawk plus usual tree sparrows, house sparrows, great / blue tits etc etc.

Also lots of activity outside the garden, including big flocks of fieldfare, lapwing and goldfinch over surrounding farmland.

Keeping fingers crossed for some "special" visitors over the coming few days.

I had a solitary Goldfinch pass through, too brief to get a snap of it. I guess it was looking for the flock.

Their song reminds me of when you've rung a fax machine by mistake :)

One bird worthy of special mention - a humble Great Tit, as of late summer always comes into the kitchen to take peanuts (and coffee beans, which it doesn't eat but just scatters round the floor). If I don't open the door, it now peeks in through the cat flap!

He is bringing his buddy now, two of them in and out non-stop - even if I am sitting in the kitchen! (a stash of peanuts on the table might be encouraging them ;) )

Had to refill the feeders again this week,as soon as I had finished these 4 Goldfinches arrived within minutes,plus many others on the other feeders.

Attachments

• 4GFs.jpg
    4GFs.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 87
Managed a bit of garden watching this morning after i'd topped up the food and defrosted the water dish!

Plenty of activity as soon as I went back inside. Starlings, Blackbirds, Goldfinch, 2 fighting Robins, 3 Dunnocks, Coal, Blue and Great Tits. Magpie and Crows in the trees. Plus for the first time in a while a m & f Chaffinch - they were around quite a while on top of the shed, where i'd put some food. Then some Sparrows tried chasing them off.

At Mum and Dads, they also had the Tits, Goldfinch, Starling, Robins, Dunnocks and also Jackdaws. They have around 25 Starlings around at the moment. Also a pair of Lapwings flew overhead!

Don't forget to try and keep the birdbaths/water supplies available during the freeze.:t::t:

Though it is sure a kindness, birds should be able to cope without, especially if you have snow - I never provide water during the winter months, simply because it would be an unwinnable battle - water freezing within minutes of being provided. There is also concern, whether true or not I do not know, that providing water in extreme low temperatures may lead to unfortunate consequences - wet plumage freezing, etc.

Temperatures here stay way below freezing for months, frequently in the minus 10 to minus 25 bracket, and there is generally no standing water available to birds. When there is snow, there simply eat that. When it is frozen, but snowless, I have no idea how they obtain the water required.

PS as the human population of the UK usually comes to a whimpering halt when it snows, maybe the birds are softies too - in which case, ignore this post and get out there to fill the bird bath (and bird jacuzzi) :-O

I have a standard RSPB feeding pole with seed feeder at top of the pole. This week I noticed the feeder on the ground and on investigation, the plastic screw fitting in the base of the feeder that fits in the pole had been completed sheared off. It looks like something has hit the feeder with some strength to completelely snap the plastic fitting in two. Could this have been a Sparrowhawk? Even at full speed thats some hit and it must have been badly hurt (no signs of dead bird in garden.) Has anyone else had something similar happen to their pole feeder?

From a human act viewpoint I suppose there are plenty of things that could have happened here but I have a pretty sheltered garden and I doubt whether anyone bothered to get over the fences just to do something like this and leave everything else untouched.

Any clues out there?

I guess keep watching for Sparrowhawks, but dogs chasing cats??? welcome to the thread rubble :t:

Well, woke up to some wonderful snow this morning, Here is a picture of the little smattering we would get over night, 6" in the garden
051.jpg

053.jpg

They were taken this morning. Bird wise, Song Thrush paid a visit, first in a while, plenty of blue tits and great tits, coal tit put in an appearance as did around 20 chaffinches, have heard Redpolls flying over, but none visiting the garden yet.

Always great to see Song Thrushes anywhere, one of the great winter visitors to gardens that I look forward too

Well done with the images, I think they add loads of character to our thread :t:

Visitors included marsh (or willow) tit, pied wagtail, song thrush, sparrowhawk plus usual tree sparrows, house sparrows, great / blue tits etc etc.

Also lots of activity outside the garden, including big flocks of fieldfare, lapwing and goldfinch over surrounding farmland.

Keeping fingers crossed for some "special" visitors over the coming few days.

Willow / Marsh tit & Pied Wagtail are pretty special already, your just greedy :-O

This thread resembles the gardens at the minute... very busy. Good work peeps :t:

6 Redpolls here again plus a lovely juvenile Woodpigeon. It must have been from a very late brood. GSW male on the suet and lard
Very cold again but NO SNOW! on the ground at all.
Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back