• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What lives here? (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
There have been holes in the mortar of my back wall for years. At first I thought they were made by Bees, then I thought Fungi, now I'm thinking Spiders.

I've never seen anything enter or leave the holes, nor did I see the holes being made. Curiosity finally got the better of me, hence this post.

I've attached 2 pictures, hopefully they are clear enough. If it helps, there are more than 10 sets of these holes in the wall.

Oh, in case you didn't notice, I'm in London, UK.

Attachments

• Holes.JPG
    Holes.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Holes2.JPG
    Holes2.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 58
I used to get these similar holes in an old brick wall at my previous address, and it was spiders...not sure what species though. I assumed it was the spiders that had made the holes and they weren't taking advantage of something that had been made by something else.

I used to get these similar holes in an old brick wall at my previous address, and it was spiders...not sure what species though. I assumed it was the spiders that had made the holes and they weren't taking advantage of something that had been made by something else.

Thanks for replying Dave, yeah I think it's Spiders. I'm just curious what species, as I've never actually seen them.

Just had a quick look in one of my wildlife books and I think it could be Amaurobius similis (no common name) . It looks like the little blighters we used to get and it also says 'A fairly common and widespread spider usually found in walls, bark and fences where it constructs a rather tangled web of bluish white silk leading back to a crevice, it is to this that the spider retreats for much of the time'. Probably why you don't see them.

Thanks Dave, maybe I'll set up a Camera and try to catch one spinning the web around the hole. Although I have a feeling they could do it at night.

EDIT: Common name might be Lace weaver spider. (I checked here)

Last edited:
You can sometimes get them to emerge by lightly tickling the web with a blade of grass or feather. No guarantees though...

You can sometimes get them to emerge by lightly tickling the web with a blade of grass or feather. No guarantees though...

I'll ask my Wife (who is terrified of spiders) to tickle the web while I prepare to take a picture...

Well I asked her, I think I misheard her answer, it sounded like she said she had a cough.|=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back