• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Warbler (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Any thoughts on this one? Unfortunately this is the only shot I have as the bird was very active and spent all of it's time either skulking very deep amongst brambles or occasionally 'flycatching' over a pond. Taken today.

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 317
I thought Willow Warbler - a bit of a funny head shape but that could easily be 'explained away' by the way it's holding its feathers. The bill looks funny as well, a bit long and almost 'decurved', but maybe that's just the picture. Still looks like a Willow Warbler to me though, albeit a slightly funny one.

Come on Chris.. how did it move, what did it sound like?

I'd have an inlking... inlking only mark you towards Iberian Chiff

Inlking based on the facial pattern and belly, but I need to hear it call or better still sing.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
Either a Willow Warbler or possibly an Iberian Chiffchaff,though impossible to say really based on this photo.Would go for former...unless calls and/or song suggested otherwise!
Harry

Do you want to know yet or should I let you carry on discussing? You'll notice, I didn't say that I took the photo or where it was taken. Just that it was the only shot I had.
But for what it's worth, the bird wasn't heard to call and had a "fairly long" primary projection.

If the projection was long enough to rule out Chiff/Ib Chiff then its simple, if it was just a little on the long side for Chiff...well..without calls you/they are stuffed. Its about time someone threw in Willow/chiff hybrid too, though my prejudice is that a lot of theose are actually unidentified Iberian Ciffs.

It appears ro have a bit of a bridging super which I have found to be a feature of birds which I believe to be Iberian chiff - though note that this might just be a self supporting fallacy!

Do you want to know yet or should I let you carry on discussing? You'll notice, I didn't say that I took the photo or where it was taken. Just that it was the only shot I had.
But for what it's worth, the bird wasn't heard to call and had a "fairly long" primary projection.

Chris, you old tease you!!

Malky @ Westhill

Alright alright, it was a Willow Warbler. I just posted the photo 'cos it illustrates just what a 'snapshot' can do to a bird's i.d. features.
In particular, Jason's comment about the hippo-headshape was very pertinent.

Talking of possible Willow W/Chiff hybids, there is a bird just down the road from me at Frampton on Severn which starts it song as a Chiffchaff but ends it like a Willow Warbler. While checking the gulls/terns over the sailing lake I thought that there were two birds singing nearby as my attention was on the lake but it was pointed out to me that it was one bird and eventually I managed to see it singing. I have checked the literature and there is a suggestion that the North African population of Iberian Chiffchaff may sing like this but I have yet to track down an example of the song which is somewhat different to the Iberian peninsula Iberian Chiffchaffs or so the literature leads me to believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back