• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone know what this is? (1 Viewer)

Nikon_Boy

I have no clue what this little birdie is called.

It apparently found my screen door and flew into it. It was knocked out for awhile so I took him in for the night so he could rest up. I let him go this morning. He is one cute fellow and is pretty chubby when he is all curled up. He could easily fit the size of an adult palm.

Does anyone have a guess what this pic is? Sorry for the blurriness and this little critter kept hopping around.

Attachments

• dscn2593.jpg
    dscn2593.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 501
We'd call it a Firecrest over here, but across your side of the Pond I think it is a Golden Crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)

They are about the size of a wren - they are the smallest bird we have over here and always nice to see. They are usually seen looking like a flying mouse darting around the base of fir trees before flitting to another trunk.
Not quite the same species but still a Regulus and the only shot I have ever managed.
Firecrest

Last edited:
It looks like a White-crowned Sparrow to me. I have a photo of one in my Gallery at Bird Forum. Have a look and see what you think. My bird's breast is gray.

I can see where it might be identified as a GOLDEN CROWN KINGLET it looks very much like one with the gold patch on it's head and being all fluffed up like that....it also could be due to area frequented... but a gck is 4" in length. Smallish and you said that this bird would nicely fit into a adult palm...
I believe that you may have a First winter White Crowned Sparrow... they are more common in your particular area and this is the exact colouring of them... the WCS is a 7 " bird:t:

Gaye

Nice photo, Ian! And yes, I agree with you, it def looks like a Firecrest, even although I'm not up on my birds on the "far side of the pond"!

B :)

IanF: Your picture looks identical to the one I took. Mine just chubbier adn preparing to sleep.

Marysan: I cant seem to find youyr picture in the gallery.

Yes, your bird looks a lot like Ian's with that fluffy looking breast. My White-crown is on page 1 of my Gallery. I would attache it here but at the moment, I don't see an option here to attache a photo.

Well Lee and discussed this bird and looked up many variations of both and HE thinks it is a kinglet(firecrest) and that is his decided opinion....

Kinglet or Sparrow

Hi all,

I would have to agree with my countryman IanF on this one, definately a Golden-crowned Kinglet (regulus satrapa). A quick look at the bill rules out a sparrow as it is nice and slender and not robust as a sparrows would be. Also note the bill colour, black not pale as the sparrows would be.
The new Fieldguide by David Sibley "the North American bird guide" is excellent if you need to check the above details.

Mark.

David Sibley has the "Sibley Guide to Birds" and the companion book "Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behaviour".. these are certainly books that we highly recommend.
It is there that I was able to agree that the Golden Crowned Kinglet was the bird in need of identification.

Marysan said:
................. My White-crown is on page 1 of my Gallery. I would attache it here but at the moment, I don't see an option here to attache a photo.

Nice photo Marysan.

The 'quick reply' box is a useful facility, but if you want to post a link or attachment then use the 'post reply' button which then allows you to use all of the extra features.

Gaye Horn said:
David Sibley has the "Sibley Guide to Birds" and the companion book "Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behaviour".. these are certainly books that we highly recommend.
It is there that I was able to agree that the Golden Crowned Kinglet was the bird in need of identification.

Thanks Gaye. I may have to look into it getting one of those books.

Definitely a Golden-crowned Kinglet,no questions!Very like Firecrest,but a little duller on the upperparts etc.
Wonder if these are a possibility over here during arrivals of American passerines?Doubt it,but will double-check every Firecrest just in case.....;-)
Harry

This is definitely a Golden-crowned Kinglet. The features match Peterson and Kaufman guides. Golden-crowns are also very twitchy, much like the behavior you described.

Yes, the brd is definitely twitchy. It seems ike it has been on a "sugar high" for some while before it calms down to sleep. Quite the furball when it sleeps.

Definitely a Firecrest and a female at that too courtesy of the Yellow crown stripe, the male has a orangey red stripe.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back