Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pond Minibeast

Old Saturday 22nd May 2004, 21:19   #1
Sleeper

Pond Minibeast

I have recently added a small (6'x5') pond to the garden.

I have been intrigued to find a few minibeasts arrive some of which I have been able to ID

including a rat tailed maggot.

One which i cannot find a reference to is a small (2mm) dark coloured critter which moves around along the edges and surface of the pond. it moves in a S squiggle movement which happens when you touch the waters surface.

Could anybody provide any info or maybe recommend a book which contains good pond info relating to creatures contained in a pond.

Thanks in advance.
Old Monday 31st May 2004, 15:36   #2
pauco
Старлинг фан

Wink Old but still useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
I have recently added a small (6'x5') pond to the garden.

I have been intrigued to find a few minibeasts arrive some of which I have been able to ID

including a rat tailed maggot.

One which i cannot find a reference to is a small (2mm) dark coloured critter which moves around along the edges and surface of the pond. it moves in a S squiggle movement which happens when you touch the waters surface.

Could anybody provide any info or maybe recommend a book which contains good pond info relating to creatures contained in a pond.

Thanks in advance.
Stepen, one that i used to have when we had a pond and found informative was the observers book of pond life. There will be loads more up to date one's no doubt, but a good starter.
bert.

Paul.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st May 2004, 20:47   #3
Sleeper

Thanks Bert

I will be looking through many a book at the BBWF and so I will keep my eye open for this one. Thanks again.
Old Tuesday 1st June 2004, 01:19   #4
RichUK
Flying Nerd

Stephen,

It could be a Whirlygig Beetle. Take a look here - www.bugguide.net/node/view/3646

Rich.

Old Wednesday 2nd June 2004, 21:13   #5
Sleeper

Thanks Rich

Great site to wander through and I think it is one which seems to be growing. Thanks again.
Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 06:34   #6
Joern Lehmhus

Just a remark: An adult beetle can´t grow any more; and the larvae which are the growing stage, do look extremly different from an adult beetle (not only in whirligig beetles, but in all of them- that´s different in bugs (Heteroptera)).

To Identify your minibeast more infos would be usefull: under water or on the water surface? does it have a tail? How big exactly?

Other possibilities would be for example a moskito pupa; or a water mite? but for a safe id more info is nessecary

Jörn
Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 12:08   #7
RichUK
Flying Nerd

Stephen,

No problem! Although the site seems to deal with North American stuff, it is very interesting, and the pic of the Whirlygig beetle is pretty good.

Jörn - I obviously agree with what you said. Although from the description Stephen gave it so has to be a Whirlygig beetle - on the surface making 's shape' movements and all. They are very common too. I guess really the only definite way is a picture (and then I guess that isn't always clear-cut').

Rich.

Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 12:32   #8
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

I want a pond but my parents dislike the idea I don't know why they don't want one its very important for wildlife.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 13:21   #9
Charles Harper
Régisseur

... Got a shovel in the shed, Euan? It's a moonlit night tonight...

Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 14:12   #10
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Mebe get some dianamite and when midnight strikes KABOOM har har

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 20:41   #11
Sleeper

Thanks for all the info

I think that Jorn is nearest as regards fly larvae.

They are about 5-7mm long have tubes that they use to put against the surface of the water. There are thousands of them which all dissapear when I go near(but I am trying not to take it personal) They seem to hang in this position for quite a time.

I have to say i have been amazed at the extra bit of something which the pond gives the garden. I tried in vain for numerous years to offer an attractive bird bath in all shapes size and in various places in the garden but it never really happened.

I am really pleased as the amount of birds which have used the pond to bathe and drink is staggering. the first bird I have seen using the pond was a siskin and from there on in it always seems to be used by numerous birds. the Starling young use it all day to bathe in so I do agree with people that say a wildlife garden is not quite right without a pond.

PS It's getting dark enough now Euan!!! PPS if it says ACME on the packet beware!!
Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 21:06   #12
RichUK
Flying Nerd

Mosquito / Gnat larvae maybe?

Rich.

Old Friday 4th June 2004, 06:41   #13
Joern Lehmhus

Yep, that´s sounds like it
-these are clearly moskito larvae; if something comes near them from the surface they go into deeper water with a squiggly movement, as you describe; also the breathing tube at the rear end is characteristic.
Old Friday 4th June 2004, 14:56   #14
Goat

identification

For good indentification try the Field Studies Council guides, these ones are A4 sheets which fold up neatly. they have them for a range of animals and plants including a pond guide

http://www.field-studies-council.org...ons/index.aspx
Old Wednesday 4th January 2006, 16:13   #15
willowa

Rat tailed maggots are hoverfly larva. They breed in stagnant ponds as they breath through the long tail like tube. A helpful web site is WWW.smallpond.org.uk I found a few on google.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2006, 17:02   #16
willowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan Buchan
Mebe get some dianamite and when midnight strikes KABOOM har har
Hi Euan,
Tell them it`s a pond or an ear ring!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: