• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BF lives! (1 Viewer)

Curtis Croulet said:
I regret that my deathless prose has gone into a bit bucket, but life goes on. Glad to see BF return.

It's, nevertheless, more than just a bit frustrating to have lost the most recent discussions. It would have mattered less the other way around, maybe. But any decent search should allow a full spectrum of articles. Electronic storage, QUO VADIS?

Oh, you're so correct!

Swissboy said:
It's, nevertheless, more than just a bit frustrating to have lost the most recent discussions. It would have mattered less the other way around, maybe. But any decent search should allow a full spectrum of articles. Electronic storage, QUO VADIS?
That is so true that it is frustrating to have lost those recent binocular discussions. But I'm sure that you and some of other members will be adding some 'good stuff' soon.
Are you out there Bawko?

Marcus,

Yeah - I'm still here. Very busy lately - I didn't have much time to post even before the server crash, I'll probably be pretty scarce for the next few weeks. Thanks for asking!

Best wishes,
Bawko

I have read good things in ALULA about the Nikon 8x30 EII, it would appear to be a good mid-priced binocular for birding at less than $300, good enough not to discourage neophytes. I was especially interested in buying one to replace my Binuxit, as the EII has similar specs, only it has a wider field, which is suspect. The Nikon certainly has better contrast and light transmission because of multicoating. The following posting in Cloudy Nights Forum might be of intererst

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...w&olderval=4&oldertype=d&bodyprev=#Post325734

I must add the following warning: I seem to notice that when I carry a Porro glass I become invisible to other birdwatchers.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Pinewood said:
I must add the following warning: I seem to notice that when I carry a Porro glass I become invisible to other birdwatchers.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Arthur,

Is that bad?

Elkcub

Pinewood said:
I have read good things in ALULA about the Nikon 8x30 EII, it would appear to be a good mid-priced binocular for birding at less than $300, good enough not to discourage neophytes.

Or oldo-phytes (like me) for that matter, Arthur.

I have yet to think, "Damn, if I only had a more expensive roof-prism binocular I could have identified that little sprite before it flew off." The E2's lack of waterproofing aside, I remain decidedly unconvinced of the need for something else, be it Ultravid, EL, FL, or LX.

As for being invisible to other birders when using a porro-prism glass (especially a little one like the E2), who cares?

-Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back