• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2016 edition) (1 Viewer)

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
You are invited to join in the third annual Birdforum joint lists for 1st January. The idea is that those who want to take part provide a list of what they've seen or heard on 1 January and we produce joint lists for areas such as the UK, the USA, Europe, Australia, or wherever we get enough people interested.

The rules are simple - birds can be seen or heard, as long as the ID is firm. "Cat C" birds (that's UK jargon for introduced species with self-sustaining breeding populations) are OK as long as the bird was from the self-sustaining population. No escapes or captive birds, obviously. Birds must be encountered between midnight and midnight on 1 Jan.

Both years we've done this, we've had some surprising relatively common omissions, so there's scope for everyone to contribute, even if you're only going out for a short walk. The aim is to use the wide spread of Birdforum members around the various countries to increase the total by seeing species where they're easy.

It's supposed to be a bit of innocent fun, so don't abandon your planned 1st Jan bird-race just to find us a Great White Egret. But if we can tempt you to abandon your plan for a day in front of the TV and go birding...

Last year's totals (thread here): USA 158, Europe 175 (UK 145, rest of Europe 119), Australia 89.

2014 figures (thread here): USA 185, UK 155.

Whatever you see on 1 Jan, please post a list either of everything you've seen or (easier for me) everything you've seen that you think may not have been reported yet. I'm hoping to be out and about most of the day so if anyone's online during the day and fancies doing some running totals, that would be great. If not, I'll catch up once I'm back online.

So Team UK now has a secondary target - to see if the rest of us put together can see as many species as John does... :eek!: ;)

Personally I'll be happy if I get decent weather and beat my personal best for 1 Jan, which is 55.

Happy birding everyone!

So who's going to add the first bird? Tomorrow has already started in New Zealand and various other Pacific islands, so any time now . . .

So far in central Brisbane:
Tawny Frogmouth
Australian White Ibis
Pied Currawong
Welcome Swallow
Rainbow Lorikeet
Spotted Dove
Australian Magpie
Torresian Crow
Feral Pigeon
Magpie-lark
Pied Butcherbird
Noisy Miner
White- throated Needletail
White-breasted Woodswallow
Masked Lapwing
Eastern Cattle Egret
Blue-faced Honeyeater
Little Black Cormorant
Common Myna
Straw-necked Ibis

I'm in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland now. Hopefully a few more to add to the Aussie total for today later!

From this afternoon (sadly walking with my family, so birding was very limited!)

Spangled Drongo
Grey Butcherbird
Australian Brushturkey
Crested Pigeon
Black-faced Cuckooshrike
Caspian Tern
Great White Egret
Great Cormorant
Australian Pelican
Dusky Moorhen
Laughing Kookaburra
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
White-browed Scrubwren
Fairy Martin
Brown Thornbill
Grey Fantail
Lewin's Honeyeater
Variegated Fairywren
Eastern Whipbird
Large-billed Scrubwren
Rufous Fantail
Australasian Figbird
Topknot Pigeon

That's probably it for me today!

So that's an excellent start by Gregor in Australia, with 43 species. thank you ! :t::t:

Good morning and Happy New Year to all in this thread. o:)
Late start today, for us.
We have frost on the ground, for the first time this winter, here in South Norfolk, England.
Rob and I were lying in bed. Had we predicted the first bird we would hear this morning, we would not have laid odds on a mallard.
The second was much more predictable... a woodpigeon .
Best wishes, to all , Carol

From the drive home from Rheine via Osnabrück to Paderborn, Germany:
Western Jackdaw
Common Blackbird
Great Tit
Common Wood Pigeon
European Blue Tit
Carrion Crow
Common Buzzard
Common Magpie
Northern Goshawk
Black headed Gull
Great Egret
Grey Heron
Common Starling
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Common Chaffinch
Feral Pigeon
Mallard
Common Pochard
Eurasian Coot
Rook
Eurasian Wren

A large skene of geese probably Greater White Fronted, but they were to high to see clearly and we were on the Autobahn at the time, so no stopping possible.

All seen along the road/Autobahn from the car. The weather is not so good, but I'm hoping to get out to one of the lakes tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back