• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding-Place in Scottland (1 Viewer)

Christoph

Hi everyone,

next May I think I wonna go up to Scotland for a view weeks holiday. I know there already two or three good places for birders - most at the sea from earlier trips in 1999 & 2000. So traveled throw quiet a big part of the country and I was so faszinated that I wonna come back an other time.
But can you recomend my places for special interest??? maybe unusuall sightnigs???
Thank you very much.
Christoph

Last edited:
Hi you could go to The Scottish Seabird Centre in North Berwick. Its a great place or you could go to the RSPB Vane Farm Nature Reserve in Fife.

@Euan:
- the one in Fife is new to me.. thank you for the tip..
- I already know the one in North Berwick.. you may havn't seen my Bass Rock in the Gallery... but doesn't matter...

on other place that I know ist near the Lighthouse at John O'Groats (Duncansby Head)...
and Staffa (for Pufins)

Thank you
Christoph

Christoph,

Have a look back through the Trip Reports Forum, there are two or three in there for Scotland.

I suppose a lot depends on when you travel, but like most places, March up to mid June is pretty good. The area around Aviemore is exceptionally good and the Tourist Information Centre has loads of leaflets about reserves to visit all within a few miles of the town. Such delights as Capercaillie, Crested Tit, Osprey, Crossbill, Ptarmigan, Siskin, Slavonian Grebe, various Divers (Loons), Golden Eagle, Buzzard to name but a few.

Where to Watch Birds - Scotland by Mike Madders ISBN 071365693X is an excellent guide, though I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions from the trip reports and the members.

Hej Ian, that's great.. thanks a lot... and a good thing, I don't know Aviemore - havn't been there til now...

Christoph

Christophe,

The best places to go depend on when yopu are going.

If you are in the Edinburgh area then try the ash lagoons at Musselburgh for really close up views of Common Eider, Long-tailed Duck and Velvet Scoter in winter and for roosting gulls and waders in almost all months. Aberlady Bay between Musselburgh and North Berwick is good too.

Vane Farm is in Perth & Kinross not Fife but is a good place on the road north from Edinburgh. In Strathspey you can explore the mountains, lochs and forests for all sorts of special birds. The islands off the west coast are good too, I would recommend Mull for a variety of raptors including White-tailed Eagle, and for Corncrake on Iona.

@david:
I think I wonna go this May.. and I'm traveling by car, so open for all of scotland.. or be realistic: the most.. I don't think that I wonna go climbing..

Thank you for this Informations

Christoph

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back