• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2019 edition) (1 Viewer)

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
You are invited to join in the sixth annual Birdforum joint lists for 1st January. The idea is that those who want to take part provide a list of what they've seen or heard on 1 January and we produce joint lists for areas such as the UK, the USA, Europe, Australia, or wherever we get enough people interested.

The rules are simple - birds can be seen or heard, as long as the ID is firm. "Cat C" birds (that's UK jargon for introduced species with self-sustaining breeding populations) are OK as long as the bird was from the self-sustaining population. No escapes or captive birds, obviously. Birds must be encountered between midnight and midnight on 1 Jan, local time.

Each year we've done this, we've had some surprising relatively common omissions, so there's scope for everyone to contribute, even if you're only going out for a short walk. The aim is to use the wide spread of Birdforum members around the various countries to increase the total by seeing species where they're easy.

It's supposed to be a bit of innocent fun, don't change your plans specially. Having said which, if we can encourage one or two people to go out rather than stay in, great.

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can see how it works. Each thread has a link to the previous year in its first post.

Last year's totals: Europe 194 (UK 163, Rest of Europe 115), USA 120

2017 figures: USA 172, Europe 197 (UK 156, Rest of Europe 127), East Asia 87, Canada 16 (North America 180)
2016 figures: USA 205, Europe 167 (UK 150, rest of Europe 94), Australia 43.
2015 figures: USA 158, Europe 175 (UK 145, rest of Europe 119), Australia 89.
2014 figures: USA 185, UK 155.

Whatever you see on 1 Jan, please post a list either of everything you've seen or (easier for me) everything you've seen that you think may not have been reported yet. I'm hoping to be out and about most of the day so if anyone's online during the day and fancies doing some running totals, that would be great. If not, I'll catch up once I'm back online.

I'm also going to be in Norfolk, for once. The key thing with this game is it's not about seeing hundreds of species, but about seeing things which are easier in your part of the country than elsewhere.

Well, yes. However, I once did a 1 January in North Norfolk and got 112 species - but missed Grey Heron!

So define easier......

John

I'll be giving it a go as usual, but (also as usual in recent years!) I'm down with some bug or other, so suspect it won't be very much :-C

Well, yes. However, I once did a 1 January in North Norfolk and got 112 species - but missed Grey Heron!

So define easier......

John

Was in a team once that got 114 on a bird race in Norfolk in mid-January and Pied Wagtail was our most notable absentee! First bird I saw next morning on UEA campus...

I'm your man for Desert Wheatear this Jan first...but I didn't see him in a fifteen-minute quick look yesterday.

Last year I chased around south Devon all day, contributed 3 species to the UK joint list, but didn't see greenfinch, long-tailed tit or collared dove. Firmly expecting to somehow miss pink-footed goose this year...

Last year I chased around south Devon all day, contributed 3 species to the UK joint list, but didn't see greenfinch, long-tailed tit or collared dove. Firmly expecting to somehow miss pink-footed goose this year...
Lol. In North Norfolk! The only way you couldn't tick them was if you didn't get out of bed all day and wore noise cancelling headphones :-O

Robin, started singing at around 2:55am and still singing intermittently now.

How could I have guessed they'd be the first bird of 2019?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back