• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA sprint year (1 Viewer)

jurek

Suppose a birder would try to clean up all REGULAR species of the ABA area as fast as possible, starting 1 January. How long could it take? Are there any regular ABA species not gettable until late autumn?

Or a variant - clean up all regular species of the ABA area in a shortest period of time (minimum number of continuous days of one calendar year). How long might it take?

I believe that some of the Socal pelagic species, notably some storm-petrels, are unlikely before the Autumn.

Are there any regular ABA species not gettable until late autumn?

Seabirds.

I think several species not very gettable till autumn and, more, as one participant is experiencing this year, not all the regular seabirds are even guaranteed in a given year - Least Storm Petrel.

Last edited:
Seabirds.

I think several species not very gettable till autumn and, more, as one participant is experiencing this year, not all the regular seabirds are even guaranteed in a given year - Least Storm Petrel.

I may be missing something here, but doesn't that make them a little bit irregular? 8-P

John

I may be missing something here, but doesn't that make them a little bit irregular? 8-P

John

It is an irregular regular. In as much as they are regular most years, but on an irregular basis they can be less than regular :)

Bit like Painted Ladies in Lithuania.

Last edited:
Or like Little Auk in UK - recorded every winter, and in some winters possible to get 20,000 in a day, but in other winters, very hit-and-miss and not at all easy to get.

Presumably we're meaning they occur annually, but any individual birder may not connect in any given year (esp. a poor one) despite appropriate effort put in. A bit like some scarcities in UK.

Suppose a birder would try to clean up all REGULAR species of the ABA area as fast as possible, starting 1 January. How long could it take? Are there any regular ABA species not gettable until late autumn?

Or a variant - clean up all regular species of the ABA area in a shortest period of time (minimum number of continuous days of one calendar year). How long might it take?

You wouldn't start on 1st January would you? Wouldn't you probably start on 1st March and hope to complete by 31st October so 8 months?

All the best

Birding the "ABA area" as a foreigner is particularly weird because, unlike WP, it's defined politically not based on the actual birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back