• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 2020 at Gramborough (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

22: Barn Owl.
21: Hen Harrier (ringtail).
17: Dunnock.
16: 1+ Dunnocks.
15: Dunnock.
[11: Red-necked Grebe (on sea - RBA).]
4: 2 Snow Buntings (Yay !).

Attachments

• DSC05551 Snow Bunting Gboro.jpg
    DSC05551 Snow Bunting Gboro.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC05665sm Dunnock.jpg
    DSC05665sm Dunnock.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Morris around the UK.jpg
    Morris around the UK.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 40
I’d hoped the New Decade hadn’t begun as it meant to go on: I could’ve done with better than a pair (?) of persistently brave Wrens. In fact, as you can readily see from the post below, there were more words than birds. I kept on scanning the bare shingle for wintering wheatears and simply succeeded in seeing . . . . . stark shingle. The first Dunnock re-appeared in the middle of the month; they had been absent since mid-November. Sadly, around about this time, only the female Stonechat remained on site. Perhaps the male hadn’t found her obvious charms alluring enough. (All was not ‘lost’ - as will be related in February.)

I had a minor thrill on 22nd, when I entered the Bowl too precipitately, only to flush a lovely Barn Owl, roosting serenely (until then) in a Willow. This was the first time I’d seen a Strigid of this species perched in the trees (joining Long-eared and Short-eared). It flew off silently and unhurriedly towards the Quags - taking with it the last interesting record for the month ! I checked much more carefully the next day - to view an empty branch.

All-in-all, though, a dreary month; another one to follow - if the past is any guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back