Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dark feathers on wren

Old Wednesday 4th March 2020, 22:31   #1
RuthieP

Dark feathers on wren

Can anyone explain why a wren that feeds daily in my garden has very dark feathers on its belly,almost like a waistcoat...they seem slightly shorter than the rest of the plumage.It moves too quickly for me to get a photo.
Old Wednesday 4th March 2020, 22:57   #2
Lisa W
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Hi Ruthie and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. There could be a couple of reasons. The wren may have some abnormal feather coloration, or it may have somehow stained the feathers in some way.

My birding photos

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th March 2020, 22:58   #3
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2020

Hi RuthieP and a warm welcome to you from me too.

I moved your post to the ID forum as I feel they may be better placed to help you with your question. I also subscribed you to the thread so you will be able to find it easily; you will get an email notification of any replies and can click on the link provided.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

My Lockdown List report - 2019 Down Under Trip Report

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81 Last Patch tick: Magpie (locally scarce)

To live in hearts we leave behind
Is not to die - Thomas Campbell (1777–1844)

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th March 2020, 08:37   #4
RuthieP

Thanks for your welcome and response...I had wondered about staining ( creosote or similar) but throughout weeks of heavy rain the colour has remained constant.It helps me identify movement around the garden and frequency of visits and the bird is active and healthy...and quite confiding when live meal worms are on offer.
Old Thursday 5th March 2020, 10:17   #5
JoeRawles
Feathers Wild Bird Care

As Lisa says, it sounds like a case of abnormal plumage. The BTO have more information you might find interesting: www.bto.org/our-science/projects/gbw/about/background/projects/plumage
Old Thursday 5th March 2020, 11:24   #6
nartreb
Speak softly and carry a long lens

In many species of birds, the belly feathers are very dark at the base, with the normal color only occupying the tips of the feathers. So any unusual wear, or simply messiness, of the feathers, will show black in that spot.

If your bird has been scratching at a tick, or has been brooding eggs or chicks (uh, where are you located? I've been in the southern hemisphere a lot lately...) or simply has been roosting someplace uncomfortable, you may see a black "lining" that's normally hidden below the normal color.

Where are you located? (edit 2: Hampshire - I assume that means the one in England. I'm not having a good day for reading comprehension...)

What species of wren? (If you don't know, we can guess based on your location.) (edit 2 1/2: and I think in England there's only one "wren" to choose from...)

Edit:

I didn't read your post #4 very carefully, did I? If it's been unchanged for weeks, it's not likely to be a temporary ruffling of the feathers. I suppose heavy wear is still possible, but that would call for some kind of explanation that I can't think of. So I agree "abnormal plumage" (likely genetic in origin) is the most likely.

Last edited by nartreb : Thursday 5th March 2020 at 11:32.
Old Thursday 5th March 2020, 13:21   #7
WalterRayle
Emeritus Professor at the University of the Bearded Clam

I had a female House Sparrow in the garden a few years ago in the summer that showed a dark 'band' across the belly rather like the description of your Wren. I had photos and sent these to the BTO who suggested it was feather wear due to the bird squeezing in and out of a tight nest hole and wearing off the feather tips. I wonder if this is similar with your Wren which could have been squeezing in and out of a tight roost hole every evening/morning. Hope this helps.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: