• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Birdforum Lockdown List - April and May (4 Viewers)

An absolute cracker - two Oriental Pratincoles migrating north about 1.5 km out while I was scoping the rocks out in the bay in near perfect light conditions this evening.

From the US list, taking out Canada Goose, Red-breasted Merganser, Common Merganser, Turnstone, Osprey, Merlin, Raven, Barn Swallow, House Sparrow, Starling (And I assume Great Egret, Herring Gull and Whimbrel?) =13

Europe + N America + Bangladesh (-13, -7 for overlaps)

166 +124 + 35 -20 = 305 Combined?
IOC has European and American Herring Gulls as separate species; ditto Eurasian and Hudsonian Whimbrels :t:

Stung into action! I've pen and papered them just now. Do you need them in some sort of taxonomic order? There's about 40 species.

Blue-bellied Roller
Abyssinian Roller
Black-shouldered Kite
Hooded Vulture
Yellow-billed Kite
African Harrier Hawk
Lanner
African Palm Swift
Lavender Waxbill
Red-cheeked Cordon-bleu
Grey-headed Sparrow
Western Plantain-eater
African Grey Hornbill
Beautiful Sunbird
Brown Babbler
Four-banded Sandgrouse (heard only)
African Thrush
Cattle Egret
Tawny-flanked Prinia
Great White pelican
Black-headed Plover
Senegal Wattled Plover
Double-spurred Francolin (heard only)
Speckled Pigeon
Red-eyed Dove
Laughing Dove
Senegal Coucal
Senegal Parrot
Piapiac
Pied Crow
Common Bulbul
Purple Glossy Starling
White-billed Buffalo Weaver
Village Weaver
Red-browed Firefinch

Stung into action! I've pen and papered them just now. Do you need them in some sort of taxonomic order? There's about 40 species.

;) Assume that isn't a particular taxonomic order?!? Absolutely fine. Only seen 7 of that list myself I think (Morocco/W Sahara my limit in Africa)

;) Assume that isn't a particular taxonomic order?!?

Yes, it's 'the order I remembered them in taxonomic order'. :t: I did ask, but I figured you'd missed post 178 above after you posted late yesterday evening. I'm now trying to help out with Willow Tit from my garden in north-east England (first bird I saw upon return last December) but it's turned distinctly chilly out there today so I won't be out long.

Linnet seen here in France this morning (can’t remember if you’re doing a Europe without UK list Dan, if not, apologies as Linnet is on the latter already). Still waiting for Alpine Chough to show from here, they’re still down in the nearby town, couldn’t see any when I scoped the mountains the other day.

Yes, it's 'the order I remembered them in taxonomic order'. :t: I did ask, but I figured you'd missed post 178 above after you posted late yesterday evening. I'm now trying to help out with Willow Tit from my garden in north-east England (first bird I saw upon return last December) but it's turned distinctly chilly out there today so I won't be out long.

Yes - busy day y'day and didn't see your post. I'm guessing the Gambia was a tad warmer ... !!

Linnet seen here in France this morning (can’t remember if you’re doing a Europe without UK list Dan, if not, apologies as Linnet is on the latter already). Still waiting for Alpine Chough to show from here, they’re still down in the nearby town, couldn’t see any when I scoped the mountains the other day.

Wondered how you'd got on. Just doing a UK, Europe and eventually/less frequently a World List (other continents delegated out), and we'll keep tags on birds seen under non-lockdown too. (So not a 'Europe Without' - more work anyway)

I know you've already got Ring Ouzel, but finding one on my patch in Bristol this morning has made my day ����

This thread is very biased against those of us who

a) live in big cities and have tiny gardens
b) are quarantined for 12 weeks minimum
c) are terrible bird(watch)ers.

Being serious, dantheman, this has been an excellent thread, and although I unsurprisingly have nothing new to add, it's been fun seeing the wintering blackcaps have their final hurrah before heading back whence they came, goldcrests mucking about in the front garden, and the world's biggest mistle thrush staring out the neighbourhood cat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back