• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Birdforum Lockdown List - April and May (5 Viewers)

A very early Garden Warbler from the balcony today

Interesting you say 'early'. I notice there was already one on the UK news yesterday 1000km further north. Though personally I haven't seen many before first week of May in past years, I'm aware approx 20 April is the date they usually first turn up in UK.

Interesting you say 'early'. I notice there was already one on the UK news yesterday 1000km further north. Though personally I haven't seen many before first week of May in past years, I'm aware approx 20 April is the date they usually first turn up in UK.

One was reported Cornwall on the 12th from someone's cycle ride. Bit annoyed as I have 2 very local sites to me and was hoping to get a first spring arrival for the county ... ;)

Quite a few particularly early migrants in Cornwall reported the last week - Spot Flys from the 6th, Honey Buzzard passing through on the 7th, then Hobbys etc etc There are always outliers ... But v few hirundines - I've seen more Willow Warblers than Swallows so far this year ...

Last few days I've added Killdeer, Yellow-breasted Chat, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Snowy Egret, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Sora, Bonaparte's Gull, Gull-billed Tern, Scarlet Tanager, Cattle Egret, Common Loon,and Northern Waterthrush.

North American total at 139, updated list below:

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Red-breasted Merganser
Common Merganser
Common Loon
Brown Pelican
Anhinga
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
White Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture
Osprey
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Swainson's Hawk
Bald Eagle
Sora
Clapper Rail
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Ruddy Turnstone
Lesser Yellowlegs
Willet
Whimbrel
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Bonaparte's Gull
Laughing Gull
Franklin's Gull
Herring Gull
Forster's Tern
Royal Tern
Caspian Tern
Least Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Mourning Dove
White-winged Dove
Eurasian Collared Dove
Eastern Screech-Owl
Chuck-will's Widow
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Merlin
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
American Crow
Common Raven
Barn Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Tree Swallow
Purple Martin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Bewick's Wren
Marsh Wren
Sedge Wren
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Wood Thrush
Northern Mockingbird
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
American Pipit
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Worm-eating Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
Black-and-white Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Northern Parula
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Harris's Sparrow
Seaside Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
American Goldfinch
House Finch
House Sparrow

Last edited:

I was a little hyperbolic, that's true. The ringing station on Ventotene caught their first on April 7 this year. Still, this is very much a May migrant in Italy, with the standard quip upon sighting the year's first Garden Warbler being "spring is over". Passerine migrants are very thin on the ground near my house, and I was quite surprised to see such a 'late' migrant when I haven't even seen a Subalpine Warbler, a Pied Flycatcher, or a Yellow Wagtail yet!

I've seen more Willow Warblers than Swallows so far this year ...

One day I heard 39+5+2 Willow Warblers and 15+ Chiffchaff. Saw some of them + a fair few non-singing birds too, same day saw my only flock (3) Swallow so far, plus seen 5 other scattered singletons over last week or so, all records above at 4 nearby close locations. If that is interesting at all ;)

Today's the first day since I got back that I ventured further than the back garden on my designated 2km walk. Came across half-a-dozen singing Willow Warblers in a short space of time; double the number I recall seeing up here this 'ear;y' in years gone by - though admittedly, it could be twenty years since I birded this area in April. (Mind you, warbler arrival dates are something I pay particular attention to so even if it's only in my own mind, I think the number is significant 8-P) Will check with one of the local oracles later today.

This thread is very biased against those of us who

a) live in big cities and have tiny gardens
b) are quarantined for 12 weeks minimum
c) are terrible bird(watch)ers.

Being serious, dantheman, this has been an excellent thread, and although I unsurprisingly have nothing new to add, it's been fun seeing the wintering blackcaps have their final hurrah before heading back whence they came, goldcrests mucking about in the front garden, and the world's biggest mistle thrush staring out the neighbourhood cat.

.....You have a Stone Curlew in your front garden? :eek!:

Fair to middling ... ;)

Will happen soon ... but prob not tonight.

When you do Dan, you can finally add Alpine Chough ( unless others have beaten me to it) - 22 wheeling around the higher slopes just now, visible thanks to my trusty old Kowa ‘scope.
I had a Singing Bonelli’s Warbler on my once a fortnight shopping expedition this morning, but that doesn’t count as it was a car trip of course...

More goodies as migration continues, with north winds keeping birds piled up on the coast: Eastern Wood-Pewee, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-billed Cuckoo (state bird for me and flagged as a rarity on ebird), Prairie Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Black-bellied Plover, Least Sandpiper, Acadian Flycatcher, and a stunning Golden-winged Warbler.

148 for North America.

Has anyone gotten a Feral Pigeon yet? Or Mallard?

Not on my garden list, but my partner just messaged me a photo of a willow tit on her sunflower seed feeder today...from Wideopen, Newcastle on Tyne

I can't remember if it is on the list, a shorted toed eagle glided over the house this morning.

Nice. Already on from the Pyrenees - France (rosbifs)

Not on my garden list, but my partner just messaged me a photo of a willow tit on her sunflower seed feeder today...from Wideopen, Newcastle on Tyne

Now there's an interesting one. I'm not sure it can count (unless she's on BF?) Needed for both UK and Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back