• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds not returning to birdbox..is it dirty? (1 Viewer)

BabySparrow101

We've had 2 wooden birdboxes near our fence for the past few years. We've had sparrows nesting in them. I noticed this year that no one is interested in them. I dont know why, perhaps we are supposed to clean them out? We have never cleaned them out..could there be something bad or hazardous inside and the birds know they shouldn't nest there?

Thanks !

Ideally nestboxes should be cleaned at the very end of the breeding season or during the winter months in readiness for Spring foraging. Have they been painted or treated this year? Alternatively try resisting them somewhere quieter or safer.

Ideally nestboxes should be cleaned at the very end of the breeding season or during the winter months in readiness for Spring foraging. Have they been painted or treated this year? Alternatively try resisting them somewhere quieter or safer.

Predictive text has undone you Pat, 'resisting' = re-siting is what you intend?

And yes, clean boxes when each season is done, they get filthy, could be full of fleas or similar and maybe why it's not been used. I have also, occasionally found dead chicks which quickly become maggot ridden.

Predictive text has undone you Pat, 'resisting' = re-siting is what you intend?

Yep, thanks Andy. I've a woodcrete nestbox that hasnt been used for the first time in over 10 years ( same location from the start ) but was inspected by both Blue and Great Tits earlier this year.

Yes always best to clean boxes after use though having said that I've had Great Tits use my Camera Nestbox though past 2 years they've not nested but sometimes use it to sleep in.

We have a couple on the side of our barn. The sparrows have started to make nests on several occasions but never finish or stay in there. I am curious if the entry hole is too large or perhaps the abundance of other species interested in the house is driving occupants away. Sorry if I hijack the thread with this comment.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back