• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who lives here?? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Lately I've been seeing lots of these little holes opening up all over the place on my local patch, not actually seen anything coming out of one but I suspect it's bee's or wasp's? In the last two days there has been a good number of bee's floating around and thought they might be coming out of their underground hibernation chambers?, the almost perfectly round holes measure about an inch and a half across.

Matt

Attachments

• mattspics 076 (Custom).jpg
    mattspics 076 (Custom).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
matt green said:
Lately I've been seeing lots of these little holes opening up all over the place on my local patch, not actually seen anything coming out of one but I suspect it's bee's or wasp's? In the last two days there has been a good number of bee's floating around and thought they might be coming out of their underground hibernation chambers?, the almost perfectly round holes measure about an inch and a half across.

Matt

Hello Matt,

Holes that size are a little too large for Bee or Wasp holes, they tend to be less that half this size.

I would suggest your looking at holes dug by Voles or Mice. A little silent observation for an hour or so on these holes may reveal the culprit.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Matt,

Holes that size are a little too large for Bee or Wasp holes, they tend to be less that half this size.

I would suggest your looking at holes dug by Voles or Mice. A little silent observation for an hour or so on these holes may reveal the culprit.

Harry

LOL

Thanks Harry, might try and see what pops out as you suggest, would love to get the record shot of the holes ''owner''

Matt

harry eales said:
Hello Matt,

Harry

I agree, this time of year you find queen bumblebees and wasps searching for nest sites, a mouse hole often makes an ideal site-hence your views of bees floating around.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back