Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dragonfly ID please

Old Friday 13th July 2007, 03:33   #1
AJDH

Dragonfly ID please

Could anyone help with the ID of the attached dragonflies. These were taken yesterday at Dammam, eastern Saudi Arabia.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AJD_3115_800w.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	94019  Click image for larger version

Name:	AJD_3117_800w.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	94020  Click image for larger version

Name:	AJD_3122_800w.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	94021  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th July 2007, 18:04   #2
wint

Very nice pics - although sometimes it's better to get a bit further away and (try to!) get pics from above and the side.

I have no knowledge of Arabian dragonflies so these are guesses from looking in my (limited) books (English names from Dijkstra)

1 & 2 ? Trithemis annulata (Violet Dropwing) female

3 Diplacodes lefebvrii (Black Percher)

On your web page the one with green eyes is Orthetrum sabina (Slender Skimmer), the one being eaten looks like Crocothemis erythraea (Scarlet Darter) and the one with yellow wings could be Trithemis kirbyi (Orange-winged Dropwing)

HTH
Old Friday 13th July 2007, 18:20   #3
AJDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wint View Post
Very nice pics - although sometimes it's better to get a bit further away and (try to!) get pics from above and the side.

I have no knowledge of Arabian dragonflies so these are guesses from looking in my (limited) books (English names from Dijkstra)

1 & 2 ? Trithemis annulata (Violet Dropwing) female

3 Diplacodes lefebvrii (Black Percher)

On your web page the one with green eyes is Orthetrum sabina (Slender Skimmer), the one being eaten looks like Crocothemis erythraea (Scarlet Darter) and the one with yellow wings could be Trithemis kirbyi (Orange-winged Dropwing)

HTH
Wow, thanks for all your time and effort Paul and thanks for the tip on photographing dragonflies. I only started when there were no birds around and the bug bit. (pardon the pun)

Old Friday 13th July 2007, 19:08   #4
wint

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDH View Post
Wow, thanks for all your time and effort Paul and thanks for the tip on photographing dragonflies. I only started when there were no birds around and the bug bit. (pardon the pun)
I should have added "for identification purposes" when I mentioned the angles for photographing - I'm pretty sure there are some suggestions in the sticky at the top of the forum.

With the light you have in Saudi you will get excellent shots of the wing venation - here we are struggling to get enough light to take a picture :-).

What camera set up do you use?
Old Friday 13th July 2007, 23:24   #5
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

I don't think it's Trithemis annulata. The body seems tapered, whereas Trithemis is wider in the middle than either end. Also it's missing the bar on 8-9. My guess would be scarlet skimmer - crocothemis erythraea
There's a photo here: http://ja.treknature.com/gallery/Mid...hoto113109.htm
Old Saturday 14th July 2007, 02:29   #6
AJDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wint View Post
I should have added "for identification purposes" when I mentioned the angles for photographing - I'm pretty sure there are some suggestions in the sticky at the top of the forum.

With the light you have in Saudi you will get excellent shots of the wing venation - here we are struggling to get enough light to take a picture :-).

What camera set up do you use?
Sorry for the delayed reply but I'm two hours ahead and had gone to bed. For the pictures I used a Nikon D200 with a Nikon 105 micro VR lens. On some of the pictures I also used the built-in flash which would help in bringing out the veins of the wings. I think my next purchase will be the R1C1 close-up speed light. I saw one demonstrated at last years Bird Fair was was very impressed. A friend has one and gets very good results with it.

Old Saturday 14th July 2007, 06:26   #7
wint

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarassedDad View Post
I don't think it's Trithemis annulata. The body seems tapered, whereas Trithemis is wider in the middle than either end. Also it's missing the bar on 8-9. My guess would be scarlet skimmer - crocothemis erythraea
There's a photo here: http://ja.treknature.com/gallery/Mid...hoto113109.htm
I think you're right - I found a few images of f Trithemis annulata (if they're correctly labelled!) and they're not much like the AJ dragon :-)
Old Saturday 14th July 2007, 06:39   #8
AJDH

Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Old Saturday 14th July 2007, 08:31   #9
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Incidently, the dragon photo in your blog for 06/07/07 is a slender skimmer, Orthetrum sabina.
Old Saturday 14th July 2007, 08:43   #10
AJDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarassedDad View Post
Incidently, the dragon photo in your blog for 06/07/07 is a slender skimmer, Orthetrum sabina.
Thanks again, I've got quite a bit of editing to do when I get the time.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: