• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID this Bird for me (1 Viewer)

Hi i just spoted a weird Bird in my garden it moves like a wader, its the size of a blackbird it has a bluish grey head it has a chest like a songthrush but most of the chest is pure cream only in the centre ,surounding area is speckled its body is brown.

I videod it for a few minutes before trying to catch it as it seemed injured , it didnt fly 2 well.

Billy

" its a blue headed white bellied speckled Thrush Probably "

I can pos upload a video image to someone if they realy need it

Hi Billy,

As it's your first post to Bird Forum, on behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome aboard :t:

If you can save the video still as jpeg then you can upload the image onto the site using the browse button. Just hit the green 'post reply' button bottom right which brings up a new page containing the 'browse' button at the bottom.

My ID skills aren't good enough to make an ID from the description you give, but someone may hazard a guess. I'd hazard a young female Blackbird that has had a close encounter with something nasty and losng some plumage off it's chest as a wild guess.

A photo would I'm sure be the biggest help.

Hi Billy, welcome to Birdforum.
I'd guess from the description that it's a Fieldfare, here's a photo of one....does it look familiar?
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• fieldfare14.jpg
    fieldfare14.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 341
Hi Bilbo,

Just had a look at your video, and yes, it is a Fieldfare. They vary a bit in how 'spotty' they are on the breast, which is why yours is spottier than Andy's pic above.

They breed in Scandinavia, and come here for the winter. With the east winds over the last few days, a lot have been arriving just now; many of them will be very tired (and hungry!) just after the long sea crossing, which is probably why you thought it looked unwell.

Michael

Apples are the traditional lure to get Fieldfares feeding in your garden, but this bird maybe better with something more substantial like worms.
Water wouldn't do any harm but out of the many hundreds of Fieldfares in my garden over the years, I've never seen one have a drink.....though they get plenty of water from the apples I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back