• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something is digging up our lawn (1 Viewer)

Angelface

Hi everyone,
For the past few weeks we have been waking up to find holes in our lawn. Some are quite big and others are small and whatever it is went quite mad last night and dug everywhere. My husband thinks it is squirrels but we have had them for years so why have they only just started doing it. I once saw a badger in my neighbours garden during the night but if it is a badger I don't know how it is getting in and out. Any suggestions?:h?:

Hi Chrissie,

Squirrels WILL dig holes to bury food (nuts, bulbs, etc) but only quite small ones and they cover the item over afterwards; if the holes are large and/or have nothing in them then it's unlikely to be Squirrels. Jays do much the same but even smaller and not at night. Both of these are seasonal, i.e. Autumn, so that's why now.

You should be so lucky to have a Badger (I know that Rose has them) and they DO dig quite large holes looking for food (worms etc) and don't refill them.

What else? A fox I suppose but why? Moles you'd know from the spoil-hills. Don't think Hedgehogs would (someone?). Not much help am I?

Take some photos and ask on the Wildlife Board.

Bill

I think hedgehogs will dig to look for worms and slugs and other yummy items as the other critters mentioned. Here's a question Chrissie ... Have you seen any poo in the garden near the holes? We are sometimes fairly accurate poo-ologists on the board. As Bill suggested, can you take some photographs?

Lydia

Hi Chrissie,

It sounds more likely that you have a Badger to me.

I have hedgehogs in my garden on a nightly basis and they do not make any holes in my lawn at all. The only evidence they leave is there Black Poo!;)

I hope you get to the bottom of this and please keep us updated.

I think they can scrabble under quite small gaps, so search your boundary for any gaps, and see if it looks as though a route has been worn.
If there are any hairs caught on twigs or a fence, roll them in your fingers...I think badgers have flat hairs.
Take photos of poos and scrape areas and post on the mammals board.
Sprinkle a few unsalted peanuts if you want to do a stake out from the house.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think it is definitely looking for worms as on close inspection of one of the holes you could actually see another hole the size of a worm where it had pulled it out from (hope that makes sense). We covered the holes up and I can see this morning that we had no visitor during last night. I will go out later and look for some of the clues that have been mentioned and play detective. I can't understand why it only digs up my lawn as neighbours each side of me have lawns and have never seen theirs in the same state. If it is a badger is there food that I could put out for it that would discourage it from digging up the lawn.
I am now off to poo hunt. ;)

It could be Squirrels Chrissie?
We spent last weekend laying 50 sq metres of turf at my sons house and he rang last night to say that Squirrels are digging it up!!:eek!:

Hi Chrissie

I think a bit of detective work for the 'holes' will be your answer.

I would be inclined to keep a look out at night too, and see if anything appears which might be seen as the the culprit.

The wet weather may be a good time also - to keep a look out for the culprit, as the worms will come to the suface of the ground

It could be Squirrels Chrissie?
We spent last weekend laying 50 sq metres of turf at my sons house and he rang last night to say that Squirrels are digging it up!!:eek!:

Hi Ruth

Squirrels: Annoying little *****'a are they not :C

They make things very costly for us :eek!:

I hope that they are not continuing the mass destruction of your son's lawn.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Hi Ruth

Squirrels: Annoying little *****'a are they not :C

They make things very costly for us :eek!:

I hope that they are not continuing the mass destruction of your son's lawn.

He's coming here to find his old super-soaker water pistol for the weekend to hopefully discourage it!! :-O

He's coming here to find his old super-soaker water pistol for the weekend to hopefully discourage it!! :-O

:t: That is right, give them a good soaking to spoil their good looks o:D

Go for the tail as that is their pride and joy LOL ;)

Regards
Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back