• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with binocular choice (1 Viewer)

I'm sure I will Steve. I'm quite sure the quality of optics could not possibly be an issue, but we'll see how they 'fit' ergonomically my hands. But, I have confidence this should be fine as well. The mid-size glasses are usually comfy to me compared to full size (in general). Plus, it helps Diane P. at BW.com states they feel great to her. I've tolerated some pretty junky glasses when I first started BWing. Got rid of a couple pairs that I used for a while before I realized they just are not up to par for viewing birds and other wildlife. My inexpensive (for beginners and kids) Leupold Yosemite 6x30 do fit me like a glove. I just love them...very clear and feel great to me (fit like a glove). I purchased them like 4 years ago or so when the bug bit me and will never part with them.

Annabeth, The first Leupold Yosemite 6x30 I bought, my Brother-in-Law took one look through it and wanted it bad. I sold it to him and then posted on here I missed the little 6x30, FrankD on here sold me his pair for cheap. I still have it and will never sell it. So these little Yosemite binoculars are not just for beginners.;) Good luck with everything.

Annabeth, The first Leupold Yosemite 6x30 I bought, my Brother-in-Law took one look through it and wanted it bad. I sold it to him and then posted on here I missed the little 6x30, FrankD on here sold me his pair for cheap. I still have it and will never sell it. So these little Yosemite binoculars are not just for beginners.;) Good luck with everything.

Annabeth,

In my case is was my BROTHER who took one look through my original (Ivory colored) Yosemite 6 x 30 and took it and won't give it back. In order to keep peace in the family I have not had him arrested.;)

It would be a different story if he were my BROTHER-IN-LAW though. At least Steve got paid for his.

Bob

Steve, trust me I'm done and happy with my choice. I was only asking about Porro vs roof for my own edification. The focus wheel issue is something joe brought up about his new Binocular. I drove myself a little nuts comparing the different models at first but it came down to just a few requirements for me and this purchase will fit the bill I'm sure. Good advice regarding " friends with faults" :)

Well if anything I didn't want to sound "preachy" ;). The thing is that there are lots of posts like yours, seeking advice on "which binocular". These tend to bring out all sorts of various negatives about many things, sometimes confusing the issue. I wasn't sure whether or not that was starting here. So I leave you to enjoy the new binocular purchase.

I like my Yosemite's too. Although technically they are not "mine" anymore. I gave them to my nephew's wife, but she lets me use them whenever I want.

Last edited:

that was nice of "Frank D". yes, just like 'trix' they aren't just for kids. I read a review before I purchased the yosemite from some expert birder guy and he mentioned how nice they were and that a birder of any level will enjoy them. The got the top spot for mid-sized porro in the birdwatcher's digest review from dec 2010 mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm glad I have the original model too...the new ones changed the design a bit and I like the old design better.

Annabeth,

In my case is was my BROTHER who took one look through my original (Ivory colored) Yosemite 6 x 30 and took it and won't give it back. In order to keep peace in the family I have not had him arrested.;)

It would be a different story if he were my BROTHER-IN-LAW though. At least Steve got paid for his.

Bob

that bastard ! ;) I hope he lets you use it from time to time.

Well if anything I didn't want to sound "preachy" ;). The thing is that there are lots of posts like yours, seeking advice on "which binocular". These tend to bring out all sorts of various negatives about many things, sometimes confusing the issue. I wasn't sure whether or not that was starting here. So I leave you to enjoy the new binocular purchase.

I like my Yosemite's too. Although technically they are not "mine" anymore. I gave them to my nephew's wife, but she lets me use them whenever I want.

no, you did not come off preachy at all. It's all very good advice ! I appreciate your comments...I like to learn as much as I can.

Why would Joey make it up?

Alright Dennis. I will explain this to you.

This is a play on a quote of a response the great social critic and Canadian Mounted Policeman Dudley Do Right made after being verbally chastised by his Commander, Inspector Fenwick, on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show for giving credence to an unproven allegation. In reality what he said was: "But if it's in the Newspaper it must be trooo!"

Got it now Dudl 'er, Dennis?

Bob

Last edited:
Alright Dennis. I will explain this to you.

This is a play on a quote of a response the great social critic and Canadian Mounted Policeman Dudley Do Right made after being verbally chastised by his Commander, Inspector Fenwick, on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show for giving credence to an unproven allegation. In reality what he said was: "But if it's in the Newspaper it must be trooo!"

Got it now Dudl 'er, Dennis?

Bob
OOOOOOOH! NOW I got it.

Brother-in law, brother, nephew's wife - what's with these Yosemites? I have a clone of it, a Kowa YF 6x30, and gave it to my 12-yr-old nephew for a cricket match (it was a big hit with him and several friends there - a nice commmendatin of DOF, FOV, clarity, ease of use). All these stories seem to show up its wonderful optics-ergos-price combination, but also that it's non-essential if you have higher-x bins. Annabeth, I think you won't regret keeping it - at least for relatives extant or future! BTW, Bob, your indignation establishes that he's Junius Ceaser (we're pretty sharp here at BF).

ok so I finally used the new Viper's yesterday for a little bit. I had the day off for doctor's appointments, but squeezed in some time. My primary doc is located in Hillsborough right accross from Dukes Farms. For the edification of those unfamiliar...Dukes Farms is the estate of the late Doris Duke, tobacco empire heiress, and I believe at one point the richest woman in the world. Well, the estate is an amazing example of conservation; rich in extensive gardens, 300+ acres of protected land and avifauna as well as other wildlife; a shining example of environmental management. Well, I didn't have time to go to Dukes Farms, as I had another appointment to make (not even sure if it was open or not), but the point is that you will see interesting birds in and around this area. Right next to the medical office complex is a small field, so I tested the Viper there. After I adjusted the diopter (which I always feel challenging...eyes are not what they used to be) I focused on the field. A handful of birds flew above me and landed on the small patch of trees on the perimeter of the field just above me. The first bird I saw with the new glasses was a Blue Bird. Pretty cool right? Shortly thereafter quick movement caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. Two raptors were flying low in the field and one was chasing and harrassing the other. It was a male Northern Harrier chasing away a Red-Tailed Hawk. The Harrier is a lifer for me and I didn't know what it was until I consulted the Sibley guide. I knew it was surely an uncommon bird (to me) the second I saw him with his conspicuous markings...first thought was 'whoa' ...what is it ! After a few minutes he flew across the highway over to the Dukes Farms. It's a very distinct bird and amazing looking hawk and also counts as a rare bird sighting on e-bird, so that made my day right there. Nobody from e-bird has contacted me yet which is odd since they usually do right away when you get a rare bird sighting.

Well, I'm not going to give an in-depth technical review of the new Vipers and this is b/c I really don't know what the heck I'm talking about ;) But, I can say that I noticed quite quickly that these are superior in almost every way to the last 8x32 I owned which was the Leupold Katmai (which I sold). The Viper has much better/wider fov and it's noticeable at first glance. It has a large sweet spot. It is very bright and has great crisp clarity and the colors and contrast are excellent. It was a bright sunny agreeable day, so we'll see how they do on a cloudy gray or white-ish day. They feel very nice and, at first I felt they were heavy, but that changed over time. They are relatively light. I really like the thumb indentations which fit me well. It has the locking diopter which is nice. Online I felt they were not very attractive, but in person they are actually a very nice looking instrument. I did not expect to like them as much as I do. I really like the wide clear view. The close focus of 3 ft is accurate and it's very cool to have this ability for the insects and butterflies.

Only one thing I noticed that was weird. It sort of had a minor 'rolling ball' (I think) effect when panning moderately fast. I noticed it later in the day when I had a chance to go to the town park around 3pm. I panned the bank and noticed this effect. When panning slowly it's not really noticeable and , overall, it's not too bothersome ultimately to me.

Does this rolling ball effect happen when the glass is a bit flatter?...flatter field ?

In a nutshell I really like these binoculars. I'm glad I made a great choice and happy for the support and advice of all the kind people on the BF :)

Congratulations!
You made a purchase you´re happy with and didnt break the bank. On the first outing you saw a bird new to you. What´s more to want?

Only one thing I noticed that was weird. It sort of had a minor 'rolling ball' (I think) effect when panning moderately fast. I noticed it later in the day when I had a chance to go to the town park around 3pm. I panned the bank and noticed this effect. When panning slowly it's not really noticeable and , overall, it's not too bothersome ultimately to me.

Does this rolling ball effect happen when the glass is a bit flatter?...flatter field ?

This "rolling" effect is caused by different types of edge distortion / curvature. The exact cause depends on the binocular and the specific type of distortion. I don't think ANY binoculars have a perfectly flat field, and different manufacturers will utilize different compromises in terms of edge distortion.

There are two basic types of distortion you are going to see -- pincushion/barrel distortion (which is where horizontal/vertical lines visibly curve out or in) and then field curvature (the FOV actually curves away or towards you). Unlike barrel/pincushion distortion, field curvature won't cause lines to bend visibly (because the axis of the curvature is towards/away from you) but you can tell it's there because you can focus it out (the whole image isn't in the same focal plane).

Most binoculars have at least some pincushion distortion, so if you look at a straight line and then move it towards the edge of the FOV, you will see it start to bend outwards. You can see this very easily looking at a telephone pole or building and moving it from side to side in the visual field.

The traditional "rolling ball" that you read about with Swarovski's and other flat field binoculars is due to a specific phenomenon called "angular magnification distortion" -- in this case it's actually caused by the *lack* of distortion ironically enough. You can read a lot about it on this forum (brocknroller has written at least 100,000 words on the topic :p) in threads like this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226304

And here's a good link from that thread on visual distortions, even if you skip the math stuff the moving pictures are helpful: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/distortion.html

That is almost certainly not what you are seeing with the Vipers, which don't have a flat field. It's probably a combination of some mild pincushion and field curvature. In my experience there are very few binoculars that don't exhibit some sort of "rolling" feel when panning. If it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't start obsessing about it and go looking for trouble :D

The traditional "rolling ball" that you read about with Swarovski's and other flat field binoculars is due to a specific phenomenon called "angular magnification distortion" -- in this case it's actually caused by the *lack* of distortion ironically enough. You can read a lot about it on this forum (brocknroller has written at least 100,000 words on the topic :p) in threads like this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226304

That is almost certainly not what you are seeing with the Vipers, which don't have a flat field. It's probably a combination of some mild pincushion and field curvature. In my experience there are very few binoculars that don't exhibit some sort of "rolling" feel when panning. If it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't start obsessing about it and go looking for trouble :D[/QUOTE]

This is all very confusing to me lol. I did read something a while back about the flat lenses causing this globe effect or rolling ball and that pincushion distortion sort of corrects it?
anyhoo...yeah, I guess it's the pincushion distortion I'm seeing. It just seems more subtle in my other binoculars. Next time I try my other pairs I'll look for it. oh no...I'm not obsessing haha...I figure we only have one main instrument in our hobby and I'd like to learn more about it. It's both interesting and somewhat confusing at the same time.

A., as said v. recently in some thread/s here by several people - probably not to you, afraid I've lost track! - for many the effect of pincushion distortion, which is "rolling bowl" - like the effect of a.m.d. (above), which is "rolling ball" - diappears after a few days' or few weeks' use of the bin.

Beth, forget all this 'rolling' stuff! |^|

Each binocular has it's own optical formula, and parameters, which combined with your eyes make up the view. It'll be a little bit different through each one, and your eyes will take some time (variable) to adjust. This is normal. The view may not necessarily be this or that - just "different".

The important thing is to make sure that you have it set up correctly, IPD, Dioptre, and ER (you may be able to adjust the eyecups to find an intermediate spot mid-way between two positions closest to your preference, and secure them with rubber bands or such - there should be a few threads on it on Bf)

So don't worry about this curved line or that, just enjoy what you're looking at in the central view, and concentrate on the viewed subject. You have to give yourself a chance to become accustomed to them. Plenty of time for learning all the jingo later!

btw, did you manage to check out Jupiter and it's moon's yet? Not sure if it's visible in the northern hemisphere at a reasonable time, or where, but after the Moon, and Venus, it's the next brightest thing in the sky - if you see something brighter ........... duck !!
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

Jupiter's moon's should look fantastic through the 8x.
They're real, and they're spectacular! =)

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back