• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The truth about binocular warranties (U.S.) (1 Viewer)

That is an non issue.
There are no freight costs. It's all calculated within the purchage price.
Tell me if the things are different in Singapore, but as far as I know everything is organised the same world wide.
Fort example: The former importer/agent for Leica in Holland bullshitted his customers from Amsterdam to Tokyo and backwords. When a retailer sends in a broken bin to him he billed for inspectioncosts. "Oh, Gjee yes it's broken I have to send it to Solms. For that inspection I have to charge you 12.50 euro's. And now I have to send in on insurance freight and that costs you even more. And when it comes back I have to do the same vice versa".
What in fact happened: He collected once in a month a box and send it to Solms.
Thank God these days are over with the new distributor. No inspection and/or freight costs.
The distributor, who collects the broken bins, has to send them anyway and it is on a bulk strategy and not one by one.
I can imagine that the purchage price of an Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski are different in the continents, because they have to consider the different cost rates, but in the end it is all in that purchage price for that continent.
Jan

The Leica distributor used to be a firm called schimt but recently Leica took the distributorship back and since then it has been run by Leica itself but things hasn't changed when I asked them about 6months back they told me I had to pay for shipping back to germany. What is worst is when my friends sent his lens for servicing it when there for about 3-4 months and came back with the same issues and it was then sent back to germany again for anothe few months. When my Leica mp had some dust in the view finder while under warranty, they wanted to charge for shipping both ways plus extra for gluing the view finder window down which was done free in most countries. For Swaro in singapore it is a very small firm that has the distributorship, and I would not blame them for charging shipping as I think the maket for sport optics in singapore is non-existent. We don't hunt and the birding crowd is very small though most of the birders are using swaro.

I must admit, if I were in the market for an Alpha, these were my guidelines:
-optics are all great,
-if it fits me ergonomically, its a good one for me.
-how are the mechanics, since this seems to be an area where lots of things are not that
much alpha
-how is the service? Only a good company in that respect will get my money over all
others. After all, thats the one important thing in years to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back