• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird song like brass mouthpiece? Texas USA (1 Viewer)

Guys I was out the other day in The hills region of Texas. I heard a bird I had never heard before. It sounded like brass mouthpiece. It was a clear buzz. There were 5 beats total. the first note was the lowest. The second was a note higher. The third was a note higher than the second. The fourth note was the same as the second, and the fifth was the same as the first, except it was held twice as long as the rest of them. So that's 1, 2, 3, 2, 1.

If that doesn't make sense Im sorry, but I don't know any other way of describing what I heard.

White-crowned sparrows can have a buzzy song with a stair-step pattern. Can you provide more details, like habitat, location of the sound (the ground or a tree), if it was a powerful sound, etc?

I was on a hilltop under a radio tower, so it was pretty high ground. The sound came from pretty close to the ground. There were some downed trees around the source of the sound. I don't know what you mean by a powerful sound, but the wind was blowing pretty hard and there were other birds singing. It was not the most profound found but I heard it from around 40 yards away throughout all those factors.

Clay-colored Sparrow has an all-buzz song. It doesn't seem to me it would fit your description, but it can't hurt to give it a listen.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back