• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappearance of Leupold GRHD? (1 Viewer)

lulubelle

I am interested in getting some GR 8x32, HD or not. I have been looking for a little while now and have noticed that I pretty much can't find the non HD for under $500 and am actually having a hard time finding the 8x42 or 10x42 HD. Many of the sites say that any of the formats I pick are discontinued. Don't get me wrong, I find the 8x & 10x here & there, but for what I thought were new products, they are few & far between. The very few pairs of non HD 8x32 I have found are almost as expensive as the new HD's. Is lepupold discontinuing this line?

As I understand this, yes the current Leupold GR line is being discontinued. I do not think they will produce any more. They do have a replacement but we won't see if for a year.

Thanks Steve! This may be common place in the world of bins, but it doesn't seem like their HD line was out very long or perhaps I just wasn't paying attention!

Thanks Steve! This may be common place in the world of bins, but it doesn't seem like their HD line was out very long or perhaps I just wasn't paying attention!

lulubelle .... For years I never gave leupold bino's much attention until I read a write-up here, then I took a chance & purchased a pair of the 8x32 HD. I sold all my other 8x32's, even the leica. I paid $514 new. I really like them alot, before you spend more, I would try these first ...... gwen

For years I never gave leupold bino's much attention until I read a write-up here, then I took a chance & purchased a pair of the 8x32 HD. I sold all my other 8x32's, even the leica. I paid $514 new. I really like them alot, before you spend more, I would try these first ...... gwen

I thought the views through the Leupold 8 x 42 HD were remarkable when I bought the binocular new with rebate last year, and the more I use it, the more I am impressed. The weight is a little daunting for a day in the field (although the supplied harness strap helps a lot), but the images are right up there with the alphas and always amaze everyone who takes a look. If the GR HD line has been discontinued, I would encourage anyone looking for a top quality bin to give these a try while some are still available.

I thought the views through the Leupold 8 x 42 HD were remarkable when I bought the binocular new with rebate last year, and the more I use it, the more I am impressed. The weight is a little daunting for a day in the field (although the supplied harness strap helps a lot), but the images are right up there with the alphas and always amaze everyone who takes a look. If the GR HD line has been discontinued, I would encourage anyone looking for a top quality bin to give these a try while some are still available.

You dont see many on the websites but they are still available on that other auction site. I would buy the 10x32 HD if the prices drop down to around $550. The x42's are still floating around $700 with a 8x32HD I see just below $600 which is right in line with comparable Nikon 8x32 HG's & the 8x32 ED Pentax which can be had in the $600-$700 price range. I still would purchase the Leupolds over the Nikon & Pentax. I think Nikon & Pentax make some really nice glass ,to my eyes the Leupold's veiw & feel just seems better .... gwen

I have been looking on that auction site as well! I guess I thought the prices would be a touch lower, but I will keep an eye on those posted there. I am hoping these also have a faster focus than the Pentax - I don't mind the view (wish it were a little better), but the slow focus is skilling me!

These Leupold Goldrings seem heavy for the size, 27 oz. for the 8 x 32 and 33 oz for the
8x42.. How are the edges on these? And what makes these so special. How do they compare to the Minox HG, Pentax, Meopta, etc.

The weight alone is a drawback, just watch, the new model will be more like the typical in this range, minus around 5 oz.

I am thinking there are many other midrange models that would fit in this area quite easily.

Now when being discontinued, they are being hyped, so tell us more.

Jerry

The 8x32 GR (non HD) have been discontinued for quite some time, and I was lucky enough to snag a several pairs from CDNN Sports when they were dumping them out for $299 (8x32) & $349 (10x32) back in early fall.

There is a new pair of 8x32 at auction now and the pair the guy sold last week only went for $353

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEUPOLD-8x32-GO...987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af7e9063

They are a very fine bino but as pointed out, very heavy at 27 + oz, and the position of the strap lugs will dig into the web of your hand. I find them very uncomfortable for extended periods of viewing. Sweetspot is large, but I much prefer the new 8x36 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD to my GR's.

or:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-Golden-...281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560adedc1

Last edited:
Jerry, my GR HD has maybe a little bit more field curvature than the Nikon SE, and virtually no astigmatism when you get the edge to focus. As a result, the view is almost sharp edge to edge. CA is not present in most viewing condition, either. I've sensitive to CA (the 8x32 SE has too much CA in a lot of situations for me), and am a big sucker for the low curvature + low astigmatism combination, so the GR HD has worked well for me. Granted, I've not tried the offerings from Minox, Meopta, and Pentax, but I am not aware of any binoculars under $1000 that has ED glass, a flat field and low astigmatism at the edge. What's lacking optically in my GR HD is the vibrancy of the view that I'm used to in the Nikons I have. Objects seen through the GR HD always seem just a tad less contrasty than the SE or the EDG. For this, I'd rate the optics to be 90% of the SE, or the EDG. Which, IMO, definitely put the GR HD in the league of the 'alphas'.

The weight stopped to be a problem after I got the Op/Tech pro strap. Now, the GR HD is more comfortable to wear for a long time than my 8x32 SE with the stock Nikon strap. The build quality is excellent. The ergonomics is ok for me. The focuser is very fast (overall about 300 degrees, and most of it is from the 5-feet minimum focus distance to 10 feet), and can be slippery when it's raining or if you have gloves on.

I've always been shopping on the "value" side. For $500, the GR HD provides almost as good a value as the Nikon SE, not to mention Leupold's life-time warranty for the GR line.

I've had my 10x42 GR HD for about 9 months now. I'm still very impressed with it, and I echo spacepilot's post about CA, crispness edge to edge, etc. In fact, it is just as good optically as my SLCneu (2010 version) and that's saying something. I've been using them both in the field to verify that. They are just as well built also. The weight is an advantage to me as I can hold them steadier than a real lightweight, and the harness makes them feel barely noticeable. Incredible glass for the $599 I paid.

The 8x32 GR (non HD) have been discontinued for quite some time, and I was lucky enough to snag a several pairs from CDNN Sports when they were dumping them out for $299 (8x32) & $349 (10x32) back in early fall.

There is a new pair of 8x32 at auction now and the pair the guy sold last week only went for $353

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEUPOLD-8x32-GO...987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af7e9063

They are a very fine bino but as pointed out, very heavy at 27 + oz, and the position of the strap lugs will dig into the web of your hand. I find them very uncomfortable for extended periods of viewing. Sweetspot is large, but I much prefer the new 8x36 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD to my GR's.

or:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-Golden-...281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560adedc1

Its amazing how we all see things so different, I think the Leupold HD 8x32 are the best x32's overall, that I have owned ,while others rate them as so-so. Thats why its so important to look thru a pair before you purchase. We all see a diiferent picture ..... gwen

NDH,

Not hyped, I was just surprised that they were seemingly unavailable now (even the HD) that I had made the choice to purchase! I had read reviews on them here before, the few, and thought they might be a worth a look.

I use a Pentax 10x42 pretty much all the time and am used to the weight, though less wt would be good! I was thinking that an 8x32 might be a good format for wooded areas and am wanting something with a fast, smooth, easy focuser. The Pentax focuser is horribly slow always; the Zen becomes horribly slow when it is cold; my EO Ranger SRT is ok, but I wanted something optically better than the Rangers offer.

I am considering the Bushnell Elites & Legends as well, but reviews on them are very much a mixed bag.

lulubelle, I think the Leupold GR 8x32 will fit you. The focuser on mine stays fast and smooth down to 10*F. The only thing that I don't like is that Leupold made the focus knob rubber with metal ridges. So when it's wet the friction goes away fast, and the knob can be slippery. If you are going to mostly use it in the woods where the distance is short and contrast is low, the HD version may not offer that much benefit over the standard version. The optics of the HD is excellent, but the non-HD should be very good as well. I've seen reviews of the 8x32 GR of both versions, and I don't remember anyone said they didn't like what they saw in the non-HD version. I'm only mentioning this because there seem to be fewer HD on that auction site.

I own a 8x42 GR HD.

The only aspect of this binocular that's truly a flat-out negative is the interpupillary distance lock, which is extremely difficult to manipulate and just plain doesn't work right. This has been mentioned in almost every review for this model that I've read.

If they're being discontinued, it's on account of that feature, I assure you.

It's too bad, as it's an outstanding binocular in every other regard. One of my hunting buddies uses a $1k+ Steiner model, and my Leupold simply leaves it twisting in the wind.

I talked to Leupold the other day, and they have a successor to the GR line in the works. It will not be on shelves for maybe a year. I think the interpupillary lock is certainly one of the issues, but there were far more negative comments about the weight. Sounds kind of like a dispute with the current manufacturing process. Why would you discontinue your high end glass with its successor a year away from replacing it? Leaves a year long marketing and sales gap to play catch up in.

I would not use hyped either. The Leupold GR has always gotten pretty good reviews. The exception to the good is the complaints about the weight. It's main problem is perception, after all it does not come from Germany or Austria.

Last edited:
I talked to Leupold the other day, and they have a successor to the GR line in the works. It will not be on shelves for maybe a year. I think the interpupillary lock is certainly one of the issues, but there were far more negative comments about the weight. Sounds kind of like a dispute with the current manufacturing process. Why would you discontinue your high end glass with its successor a year away from replacing it? Leaves a year long marketing and sales gap to play catch up in.

I would not use hyped either. The Leupold GR has always gotten pretty good reviews. The exception to the good is the complaints about the weight. It's main problem is perception, after all it does not come from Germany or Austria.

Steve ... I have the 8x32 HD & have no issues with any of the features, they all work correctly. The weight actually makes it easier to hold steady. If they come out with a updated 8x32 HD, I hope they dont screw it up. I like them better than any 8x32 zeiss or 8x32 Leica I have owned in the past(90's). You wont find a better quality built 8x32 in their present price range ...gwen

Last edited:
I have no issues with the Leupold GR either. I was set to buy one when the Zen stuff showed up. That took care of what I needed, and I haven't bought a binocular in quite a while. If I was seriously looking for a binocular the GR would be on the short list. They are heavy buy well balanced and do not feel as heavy as they are. I agree they give up nothing to a Swaro.

I own a 8x42 GR HD.

The only aspect of this binocular that's truly a flat-out negative is the interpupillary distance lock, which is extremely difficult to manipulate and just plain doesn't work right. This has been mentioned in almost every review for this model that I've read.

If they're being discontinued, it's on account of that feature, I assure you.

It's too bad, as it's an outstanding binocular in every other regard. One of my hunting buddies uses a $1k+ Steiner model, and my Leupold simply leaves it twisting in the wind.

I agree emphatically as to the optical and mechanical excellence of the 8 x 42 GR HD but I have never been troubled by the interpupillary distance lock. I agree that it's not a feature I would have specified if asked, but it works fine for me, i.e., I set it and forget it knowing that there is still some play for small hinge adjustments. The theory of the device, as I understand it, is that a hunter could use the binocular one handed without worry of that the IPD would change and need adjustment. In reality, the GR HD is simply too heavy for one handed use and the hinge is tight enough to make the need for the device redundant and unnecessary. If the model is being discontinued, my guess as to the reasons would be excessive costs of manufacture (especially since it is assembled in the USA) and lack of sales, probably because as noted earlier it lacks the cachet of being made in Germany or Austria. As I have said before, its a great binocular and, if discontinued, a real shame.

Last edited:
I played with the interpupillary lock today, and this is what I found. When the center hinge is open all the way (and the interpupillary distance is greatest) the lock works flawlessly, leaving absolutely no "play". If you close the hinge slightly, the "knob" for the lock becomes harder to twist, and leaves some "play" once set. When the hinge is closed about halfway (or more) the knob becomes extremely fickle, sometimes simply refusing to twist, sometimes twisting with almost no resistance at all (leaving some "play" as before).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back