• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Redstart, Common Redstart or Dunnock? Slovenia, August 2015 (1 Viewer)

BrockwellBee

Which species is this? And is it possible to age and sex this bird? I am also curious to know about the developing black patches on its chest. Juvenile moulting? Many thanks in advance. Seen in rural Slovenia in August. On roof. Finally, It would also be fantastic if you don't mind explaining the ID features of this bird!

Attachments

• Black Redstart 1.jpg
    Black Redstart 1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 206
Which species is this? And is it possible to age and sex this bird? I am also curious to know about the developing black patches on its chest. Juvenile moulting? Many thanks in advance. Seen in rural Slovenia in August. On roof. Finally, It would also be fantastic if you don't mind explaining the ID features of this bird!

From my experience of rural Slovenia, the bird has been in a muddy/cows**t puddle that has almost dried out before it flew up on to the roof. Rural Slovenian villages still have byres in the village centres, and it isn't that rare to see stained passerines!:eek!:
MJB

Dunnock is a shy, hedgerow bird, they don't often sit on roofs, at least not where I live but not saying never!

I see them often from my kitchen window, feeding quietly on the ground but always hugging the edge of the bush line. They sing from high in a bush or tree in spring maybe a roof but not what I usually expect?

Do B Redstart winter in Slovenia? I've certainly seen them in Central Italy in December.

I don't think this bird is stained, I think it's moulting.

Andy

Last edited:
It's an odd one, I think I see a pronounced gape line suggesting a juvenile, but here in France where they're very common I've never seen a plumage in this state, the juvéniles just become grey by August. So, it's either a 2nd year male moulting into the adult male plumage, or as MJB suggests, it's been s**t stirring;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back