• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland autumn rarity thread 2019 (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

As I do this from July to October just to say I haven’t forgotten and will update when back in the country in a week and a half. I will also remind people of the scoring then.

Hopefully it’s as productive as the spring.

Stephen

As I do this from July to October just to say I haven’t forgotten and will update when back in the country in a week and a half. I will also remind people of the scoring then.

Hopefully it’s as productive as the spring.

Stephen

Woo hoo! Less than three months to go - bring it on!

John

'Rules'

Right I need to get into gear on this. A reminder of the way it works before I then immediately contradict that in the next post:-

Medal table:-

Gold - BBRC rarity
Silver - Scottish rarity
Bronze - Shetland rarity

Only birds for which all individuals need to be supported by a description / photograph are included. So Little Bunting isn't included despite being a Scottish rarity as Shetland birds don't need descriptions, and Marsh Warbler isn't included either.

As it comes up from time to time I am aware that, for example, a Magpie is a better bird in Shetland than a Siberian Rubythroat but at Harry Hill would say 'you've gotta have a system'.

Two-Barred Crossbills

We've been here before. Some people think July is too soon to start a thread on the Shetland autumn thread, but then the Two-barred Crossbills beg to disagree. I have no idea how many birds have been recorded in the exceptional influx this year, so I am not going to include them unless I see an analysis of the records.

As far as I am aware all the different islands / island groups had at least one TBC, other than Papa Stour where I don't think there has been any meaningful coverage.

July to date

The SBC website isn't up to date so there may be some birds missing from the list below but this is what I think is qualifying so far, errors or omissions feedback welcome. Where birds definitely (tern) or probably (some of the RC Starlings) arrived in June I have included them.

BBRC

Great Reed Warbler - Unst (today...)
Gull-billed Tern - Mainland

Scottish

Arctic Warbler - Fair Isle
Blyth's Reed Warbler - Unst

Shetland

Rose Coloured Starlings - Mainland, Foula, Fetlar, Unst (one apiece)
Hobby - Mainland
Black-throated Diver - Mainland

July totals

Unst 1,1,2
Mainland 1,0,3
Fair Isle 0,1,0
Foula 0,0,1
Fetlar 0,0,1

With Yell, Skerries, Bressay and Papa Stour yet to score though they all had Two-barred Crossbills reported except Papa Stour.

TBCs

And of course just to note that Two-barred Crossbills continue to be seen. A group in Lerwick yesterday peaked at nine, there was another elsewhere on Mainland today and one on Fetlar.

Omission

There was a Little Egret on Unst at the beginning of the month (Shetland rarity). Not sure if I forgot to include this or I was previously unaware.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back