• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sumatran Ground-cuckoo photographed (1 Viewer)

Hi Hidde,
Yep, always nice to see an item like this. I just saw the alert myself. The pretty good pic is just icing on the cake!

Tim,
Gazing optimistically out of my rose-colored glasses, I would hope a lot of people. My darker side is pretty sure it will be extinct within a few decades...

Amazing photo, totally gripping! Found out about this photo a couple of weeks back, been biting my nails until yesterday when I saw it, whow!

This bird puzzles me, it appears to occur in habitat that contradicts what Bornean Ground-cuckoo occurs in. Unless Sumatran does prefer lowland forest on floodplains but due to the deforestation it's been pushed into the Barisan Mountain range, strange bird.

One day someone will nail this bird, but not unless its calling....

Hi James,
I read about your absolutely dismal luck in Kinabatangan - only four times! I doubt there are many that can say that about the Bornean Carpococcyx!!

Hi Steve,

Yes, they were outstanding! I've never been shaking so much looking for a bird, really was mindblowing when I finally found the purple and green pheasant in the murky undergrowths just sitting there, slowly pumping its tail, certainly up there will my best birding moments. Just so frustrating though not being able to get a single pic, despite seeing them over and over again, I've never come across such a wary bird, I can't imagine how anybody would find them without calling them in, thats why I doubt the Sumatran will be located quickly.

The most annoying part of my last Borneo trip was at Danum I finally got one feeding along the trail, but my camera broke the day before so when I finally had the opportunity I had no camera with me, I guess I should just be grateful with seeing the beauty. So won't complain too much!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back