• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

did everything wait to turn up knowing I'm not there?

Just counted all the birds I have missed for my annual count its 13 in the last 60 hours plus Otter with cubs and snow, WHAT a time to be ill, keep up the posts and photos.
possible sighting of the osprey before Upton my lad said there was a very large bird of pray bigger then a buzzard over Gaudet Luce golf club yesterday afternoon,Have fun Tim

No, it was present when Alan arrived at 0930 - could easily have been there at first light (I would have gone straight to the Flashes but for Mike's Gropper sighting yesterday).

Roe buck behind east hide and Whimbrel at flashes.

Attachments

• 7D2_013025.jpg
    7D2_013025.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 7D2_013038.jpg
    7D2_013038.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 138
Quick visit to the flashes after work 6.00pm until 7.00pm.

3 possibly 4 Common Sandpiper (3 flashes, 1 on Sailing Pool), 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Willow Warbler, 3 Chiffchaff, 1 Blackcap, 1 Water Rail, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Linnet, 4 LRP. Lots of Swallows and House Martins on the wires and over the Sailing Lake.

Ravens in Worcestershire

Hi All as you all probably know we have Ravens nesting at Upton Warren this year. They are in a private protected area and the land owner is aware and enthusiastic about them being on their land.
A birder Friend has been studying them in recent years and if you have any info regarding Ravens breeding, could you PM or text me. This will be handed to the person doing the study in confidence.
Below is the requestB :)John

I've been trying to survey the number of active raven nests across Worcestershire to get a better estimate of the county population this year. This is no longer for the course, but a personal interest, and I want to publish results in the Worcestershire Record, to follow up a previous article. Most of this involves visiting known sites, and picking up as much information as I can from local birders or residents. I'm up to 11 nests (probable or confirmed) already, but there are bound to be more and I wanted to ask UW forum members for any news of breeding ravens in their home areas. I can then check these places.

Monday 18th April 0615-1145

There seemed to be a lot of passerines across the reserve but the biting westerly wind kept them both down and quiet.

NORTH MOORS
1 Teal, 8 Tufted Duck, 2 Moorhen, 2 Coot, 1 Little Grebe, Water Rail, no sign of Grasshopper Warbler, Goldcrest, 2 Yellow Wagtail flew north calling

MOORS POOL
4 Oystercatcher (birds now sitting in both Broadmeadow and Amy's Marsh), 2 Lapwing, 2 Shelduck, 8 Shoveler (4 pairs), 4 Gadwall (2 pairs), 4 Teal, 83 Tufted Duck, 3 GC Grebe, 6+ Little Grebe, 2 Cormorant, 41 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swans +3 interlopers, 30 Coot, 8 Moorhen, Water Rail, 2 LBB Gull, 9 BH Gull nests, Jay, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Pheasant, Raven, Mistle Thrush, 1+ Lesser Redpoll, Nuthatch, 4 Willow Warblers singing, notable increase in Blackcaps, Sedge Warbler considerably outnumbered Reed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat south of East Hide, 3+ Cetti's Warbler
Alan H had a Yellow Wagtail over the east path.
Roe Deer in the A38 field as I arrived; 2 later ran round the southern edge of the Moors Pool towards the Education Reserve and Alan had them walk passed the back of the East Hide.

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, 20 Canada Geese, 3 GC Grebe, 5 Coot, 12 Tufted Duck, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 2+ Willow Warbler, singing Goldcrest, female Redstart in scrub between southern shore and climbing frames (only 10 foot from the location of last week's bird)

FLASHES
6 LRP, 23 Avocet, 2 Oystercatcher, 1 Whimbrel until 10:05 when flew off north, 2 Common Sandpiper, 6 Shoveler (5 males and 1 female), 4 Shelduck (2 pairs), 3 Gadwall (pair and male), 3 Tufted Duck, 10 Moorhen, 4 Canada Geese, 3 LBB Gull, hybrid Med x BHG still sitting, 1 Grey Heron, Kestrel, Buzzard, 1 Cetti's Warbler

A total of 65 species.

Last edited:
Yesterday's Grasshopper Warbler and today's Whimbrel took the year list to 118 species and the monthly list to 99. With a dozen days remaining in April there the opportunity still to add (year ticks in bold):

Garganey, Pochard, Hobby, Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Wood Sandpiper, Ruff, Turnstone, Greenshank, Bar-tailed Godwit, Yellow-legged Gull, Arctic Tern, Black Tern, Tawny Owl, Barn Owl, Cuckoo, Swift, Wheatear, Stonechat, Whinchat, Garden Warbler, Coal Tit, House Sparrow, Yellowhammer

A series of shots of Saturdays common tern. for ID purposes
courtesy of Lee Hudson
At this time of year common terns are fresh and unless seen well and in good light can create a problem. As I witnessed for myself on Saturday.

The main feature when Identifying common against arctic in flight is the dark wedge on the the inner primaries. This feature only occurs on common on the upper wing and this can vary with individuals and gets darker as the summer progresses.
In flight Arctics are more buoyant usually have long tail streamers, translucent primary feathers and a darker coverts that in some lights and at a distance can contrast markedly.
Saturdays bird showed several features of both birds whilst watching from the Bittern channel. Admittedly the sun was behind the bird and its flight feathers appeared all white and translucent contrasting with the greyer coverts. No dark wedge was apparent from this distance and angle, however its tail streamers were short. Its body was also very grey looking , all this could all be due to the poor back light.
In isolation common terns can appear more buoyant especially flying alongside BHG's.
These pics were taken from the East hide in good light.

Pic 3 shows parts of the inner vane of primary feathers 6,7 and 8 darker than the rest....this is the 'wedge' so if whenever looking for an arctic you see a hint of dark in these 3 primaries then it isn't an Arctic.

Attachments

• 1V8A0392.jpg
    1V8A0392.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 1V8A0401.jpg
    1V8A0401.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 1V8A0403.jpg
    1V8A0403.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Easy with good pictures, less so in less than optimal light with brief views. These early Commons may only be starting to develop the primary wedge, so closer views seem to be needed than might be the case later in spring/summer.

whimbrel just flown out north..at Flashes 1st winter / summer Med and Green sand. 3 Common sand.

replaced pics
whimbrel x 2, green sand , med gull and comparison between common and green sand

Attachments

• 1 whimbrel Apr 16 DSCF4172.jpg
    1 whimbrel Apr 16 DSCF4172.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 99
  • whimbrel apr 16 DSCF4194.jpg
    whimbrel apr 16 DSCF4194.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Green sand Apr 16 DSCF4200.jpg
    Green sand Apr 16 DSCF4200.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Med apr 16 DSCF4196.jpg
    Med apr 16 DSCF4196.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 86
  • com and green sand DSCF4205.jpg
    com and green sand DSCF4205.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Just been contacted by Paul Bowerman who runs the excellent Severnside Birds website - http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/page4.html - who advises of huge numbers of waders gathering lower on the River Severn at Severn Beach - Whimbrel, Grey Plover and particularly Bar-tailed Godwit (nearly 800 there this evening). Well worth keeping an eye out over the next few days and trying to ensure there is decent coverage of the reserve.

Last edited:
Flashes today.
Gadwall 3. shoveler 6. Shelduck 4. Mallard 2 broods. Greylag. tufted 6. Little egret. grey heron. cormorant. water rail.
Avocet 28. Whimbrel. Green sand. Common sand 5. LRP 6. Snipe overhead late on. lapwing 14 -6 sitting and 1 scraping. Oystercatcher 2.
Med Gull 1st Summer. BHG 1100. Herring gull 3. LBBG 5.
kestrel. Buzzard 4. Sparrowhawk. raven 2 feeding young. stock dove 16. Green woodpecker. swallow 15. sand martin 12. house martin 6.
song thrush. willow warbler 2. chiffchaff 5. blackcap 2. lesser whitethroat. Sedge warbler 3. Cetti's Warbler. starling. pied wag. Linnet pr.

On nights where the sailing pool car park gets locked at around 8pm, where is the best place to park please? I noticed barriers and cones have gone up recently outside the entrance.

some pics from yesterday (Monday):

1 Common sandpipers
2 Avocets scraping
3 Grey wagtail on sailing pool pontoon
4 Goldcrest singing for its supper by metal gate to moors east hide

Attachments

• IMG_2760a.jpg
    IMG_2760a.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2803a.jpg
    IMG_2803a.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 98