• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't be a MOURNING Dove (1 Viewer)

rutipz2

This guyrrrgirl flew into the yard while I was BBQing. Caught the attention of the Mourning Doves and Me, but we both knew he was not like the others.

Attachments

• IMG_0909edit.jpg
    IMG_0909edit.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 578
The spots on the wings are typical of mourning, but the big pink cere and the dark tail makes me wonder if its a hybrid with a pigeon of some type. Does anyone know if that happens?

Scott

Interesting looking bird. I can only think of a hybrid with Rock Dove (Pigeon). The only other pigeon like bird with any similar coloration was the Passenger Pigeon. Personally I think the odds are better for a hybrid. Mourning Doves have been captive bred to include come color mutations but those are generally lighter or white. Not blue-gray at all.

I think I'll print htis off and take it ot the local wild bird store.

Maybe they will have some insight.

In all honestly you'll find more info here. Bird stores, well, first of all wouldn't have Mourning Doves, and second of all, don't know jack compared to most birders. I can say that your bird definitely has Mourning Dove in him - maybe even just a pure, but weird one. It's not a young MODO, as they look scaly. Would like to see more discussion on this (experts? dove breeders?).

Im going to theWILD bird store. They have been really good at answering my questions.

...you mean like a binoculars store? Or a pet store? (Which is what I thought you meant.) Because if it is a pet store, I don't know how much information they can give you on a bird (Mourning Dove) that is illegal to possess under the migratory bird act.

I would say it is a normal mourning dove with an infection on its cere or a tumour of some sort. Don't think it's a hybrid or anything rarer.

Cheers James

Couldn't it have some Common Ground-Dove elements in there? Whitish head, pink cere... I agree it doesn't look too good, but "tumours" or "deformities"? Hmmm... wouldn't be completely out-of-range either. Just a thought.
:hippy:

Attachments

• grounddove.png
    grounddove.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 124
...you mean like a binoculars store? Or a pet store? (Which is what I thought you meant.) Because if it is a pet store,

I'm referring to "Wild Bird Center". They sell all sorts of supplies, food and books for wild birds. They do not sell birds, but they do have free advice; usually pretty good advice.

I didn't make it up there today, hopefully tomorrow.

Couldn't it have some Common Ground-Dove elements in there? Whitish head, pink cere... I agree it doesn't look too good, but "tumours" or "deformities"? Hmmm... wouldn't be completely out-of-range either. Just a thought.
:hippy:

Not a Ground-Dove, for a number of reasons. No scaling, long tail, etc. Ground-Dove is a Kansas review species. I think a growth on the cere is the most plausible.

Went to Wild Bird Center. They think it is an immature Mourning Dove, but looking at pics on net, can't find one that looks like that.

Last edited:
Went to Wild Bird Center. They think it is an immature Mourning Dove, but looking at pics on net, can't find one that looks like that.

Young MODOs (as I said above) are scaley-looking. I've seen numerous in the wild.

By the mature plumage on your bird, this physically can't be an immature MODO. That's the beauty of molt.

I'm a novice with this stuff, but I've been seeing loads of mourning doves... and my first reaction to seeing that first photo was that the bird is very sick in some way, and that other than being disfigured by some type of illness, it looks like a mourning dove. But that's just a gut feeling I got from the photo, not based on much knowledge about bird diseases.

When I saw the pic my first impression was an unfinished bird, as if it reached a certain point in its growth and just stopped half way through. Just a theory, but we raised chickens ( I know it's not a dove , but it's still a bird)when I was growing up and occasionally we would get a sickly looking one that just reached a point in it's development and stopped growing, but continued to thrive. It just looked unfinished. They even maintained some of the downy feathers, which this bird seems to have, around their heads, even into adulthood.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back