• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 was on my bucket list. (1 Viewer)

Arthur,

We know by omission that this particular 7x42 does not have phase-coated prisms. If it did, we would have been told so with no uncertain terms as soon as the question came up.

Kimmo

Arthur,

We know by omission that this particular 7x42 does not have phase-coated prisms. If it did, we would have been told so with no uncertain terms as soon as the question came up.

Kimmo

Hello Kimmo,

Yes, I am drawing attention to the obvious but I refuse to be used.

I am also going to infer that the Dialyt in question did not have the closer minimal focussing of the later ones. I think that the improvement was rather more than 1 m, but I am uncertain.

Happy bird watching [and I do bird watch],
Arthur

P.S. Kimmo your private message box is full.

Last edited:
...The great thing about the 7x42 BGATP is that it's so simple - no funky focuser (that may go wrong or requires springs and the like in its mechanism to work properly)...

I'm a huge fan of the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP but I regret having to report that for me, the focusing is not perfect despite its simplicity. In my experience, it can have problems at both high and low temperatures. The bridge/yoke holding the oculars on my unit changes shape slightly according to temperature, thus requiring a slightly different diopter setting to compensate. In addition, the focusing becomes quite stiff at high (yes, high) temperatures. I've had it back to Zeiss three times to service to try to fix these problem with only partial success.

--AP

Last edited:
Hi guys! I was just wondering which 7x42 Dialyt version is the most advanced/modern? The long line of letters after the bin's name confuse|:S| me...

Hi guys! I was just wondering which 7x42 Dialyt version is the most advanced/modern? The long line of letters after the bin's name confuse|:S| me...

As far as I know, the last BGATP always have the T* P* labeling, but I'm not sure if there is a way apart from perhaps serial number to tell one of those from the mid 1990s from one made later, when they started calling it the "Classic".

--AP

As far as I know, the last BGATP always have the T* P* labeling, but I'm not sure if there is a way apart from perhaps serial number to tell one of those from the mid 1990s from one made later, when they started calling it the "Classic".

--AP

So I guess the T stands for LotuTec coating, and the P for phase coating? What does BGA stand for?

So I guess the T stands for LotuTec coating, and the P for phase coating? What does BGA stand for?

No, we are talking about the "Dialyt" or "Classic" model prior to the FL. There was also a 7x45 "NightOwl" or "DesignSelection" model prior to the FL, but there was never a 7x Victory or Victory II model to my recollection.

T* stands for Zeiss' multicoating, P or P* is for phase coating, B is for high-eyepoint (i.e. long eye relief) and GA is for rubber armor. LotuTec came much later, part-way through the production life of the FL line, and is indicated on those bins with a domed-drop icon which looks like a little arc over the format (8x32, 7x42, 10x42 etc) label under the hinge.

--AP

Last edited:
No, we are talking about the "Dialyt" or "Classic" model prior to the FL. There was also a 7x45 "NightOwl" or "DesignSelection" model prior to the FL, but there was never a 7x Victory or Victory II model to my recollection.

T* stands for Zeiss' multicoating, P or P* is for phase coating, B is for high-eyepoint (i.e. long eye relief) and GA is for rubber armor. LotuTec came much later, part-way through the production life of the FL line, and is indicated on those bins with a domed-drop icon which looks like a little arc over the format (8x32, 7x42, 10x42 etc) label under the hinge.

--AP

Thanks Alexis!

High North, the German Expression reads like this:

BGAT/P

B for Brillenträgerokulare/Oculars for eye glass bearers

GA for GummiArmierung/rubber armor

T* for T-Vergütung

P for Phasenkorrektur

By the way - I have the same pair of binos which were my first real one. I bought them brandnew in 1997 and it has the P-layers.

Once I wanted to sell it or trade it in for an newer one but I always hesitated not only due to sentimental facts because my family brought up the larger part of the sum I had to pay for. Official price was around 2,000 DM/Deutsche Mark and I got it for 1,600.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/data/520/Kat_93_94_d.JPG

Unfortunately I can't place a picture right here, just a link to the gallery. The pic is an excerpt of a 1993/1994 catalog of a German hunting equipment shop.

Last edited:
How about the contrast and color saturation? How did they compare?

Brock

Sorry Brock, only just seen your post.

At the time I was more interested in looking through Dialyt 7x42s for the first time and I didn't A / B them against the SFs, which in any case were being passed around from person to person. So the situation wasn't condusive to detailed comparisons and this wasn't on my mind at the time.

Lee

The Zeiss T marking goes back to the early days of WW II and means Transparenzbelag (Transparent Covering) indicating the presence of anti-reflective coated optics. The T* marking goes back to the late 1970's or early 1980's and indicates anti-reflective multi-coated optics. The B means Brille (eyeglasses) i.e. the binocular is suitable for eyeglass wearers and the GA means Gummiarmierung (rubber armoured).

The Zeiss T marking goes back to the early days of WW II and means Transparenzbelag (Transparent Covering) indicating the presence of anti-reflective coated optics. The T* marking goes back to the late 1970's or early 1980's and indicates anti-reflective multi-coated optics. The B means Brille (eyeglasses) i.e. the binocular is suitable for eyeglass wearers and the GA means Gummiarmierung (rubber armoured).

Nice to know for us not so well versed in binocular lore! :t:

Last edited:
Sorry Brock, only just seen your post.

At the time I was more interested in looking through Dialyt 7x42s for the first time and I didn't A / B them against the SFs, which in any case were being passed around from person to person. So the situation wasn't condusive to detailed comparisons and this wasn't on my mind at the time.

Lee

Thanks for replying. I'd be very surprised if the SF didn't have better contrast since that's the primary characteristic I find different in binoculars with newer coatings.

Color saturation is a bit trickier to evaluate because it gets mixed up with color bias. Someone wrote that the Dialyt's image was "warm" vs. the FL's image being "cold," which makes me wonder if Zeiss at one time didn't make AR coatings with a dromedary hump in the middle and steep drop off in the red like the FL, HT and presumably, the SF. Zeiss bins usually have red reflecting off them, perhaps for this reason.

Thanks for replying. I'd be very surprised if the SF didn't have better contrast since that's the primary characteristic I find different in binoculars with newer coatings.

Color saturation is a bit trickier to evaluate because it gets mixed up with color bias. Someone wrote that the Dialyt's image was "warm" vs. the FL's image being "cold," which makes me wonder if Zeiss at one time didn't make AR coatings with a dromedary hump in the middle and steep drop off in the red like the FL, HT and presumably, the SF. Zeiss bins usually have red reflecting off them, perhaps for this reason.

Brock, I would be lying if I said I could remember much about the colour of the Dialyt's view, but I do still retain the memory of the ease of view.

HT is a definite step up in the red compared with FL, but I haven't A/B'd SF and HT yet.

Lee

Here is the Zeiss lineup for 1984. Note that there is no reference to "Classic," and none were P-coated. The later P and P* models have armored axels with two ribs. I own and use the P-model. Very nice, but not as bright at the current 8x42 SLC-HD, and with slightly smaller AFOV (~60˚). I don't know where the "immersive" quality comes from, but that's a subjective reaction. Mine is a keeper.

Ed

Attachments

• Zeiss binoculars 1984 scaled.jpg
    Zeiss binoculars 1984 scaled.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I paid over $900 for the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and I am asking $900 so I am not looking to pump and dump and make a profit. The optics are excellent on it but I just prefer using the SV 8x32 and the 28 oz. of the Zeiss is a little heavier than I prefer. I came to the realization that I really only use my SV 8x32 95% of the time so I decided to get rid of the binoculars I don't use that much. I am actually selling three of them if you look at the items I am selling. I am going down to one binocular because that is the one I use. Many of these other binoculars are excellent but as I have said before " Once you have Alpha it is hard to go Backa". It is kind of stupid to use a $500 binocular when you have a $2400 just sitting there collecting dust. I really don't care what you think of my selling and trading binoculars. It is my business what I do.

Last edited:
Here is the Zeiss lineup for 1984. Note that there is no reference to "Classic," and none were P-coated. The later P and P* models have armored axels with two ribs. I own and use the P-model. Very nice, but not as bright at the current 8x42 SLC-HD, and with slightly smaller AFOV (~60˚). I don't know where the "immersive" quality comes from, but that's a subjective reaction. Mine is a keeper.

Ed

Ed:

Good of you to post that photo, what a size difference between these
models.

There is a very good explanation of phase coatings on an older thread,
from 10-1-2008, started by Kevin Purcell. There are quotes from many
members of the forum on this one.

As far as the Zeiss BGAT series, what is brought out, is that,
T* makes a small difference. P* makes a big difference.

I will try to bring it to the top.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back