• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal F-ED65 (1 Viewer)

Kristoffer,

What would you like to know about the 80 mm model?

You are basically looking at a longer and heavier version of the 65 mm with all of the same optical characteristics but with the benefit of slightly better brightness and apparent resolution (magnification increase/objective size). That previously posted picture of the purple flowers was taken with the 80 mm version.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Same scope but bigger lens. Just wanted to make sure it was the case. :)

Kristoffer,

What would you like to know about the 80 mm model?

You are basically looking at a longer and heavier version of the 65 mm with all of the same optical characteristics but with the benefit of slightly better brightness and apparent resolution (magnification increase/objective size). That previously posted picture of the purple flowers was taken with the 80 mm version.

FrankD:

"The Plano zoom (Baader Hyperion clone) will not reach focus at infinity."

At what point in the zoom range does the BH clone fail to reach focus at infinity? Accross the entire mag range of the zoom (16-48x), at the low mag range (16-24x) or at the high mag range (40-48x)? I'm guessing that it's mainly at the low end as the ep's focal length increases towards 24mm. The WO zoom is 7.5-22.5mm. Might not be a problem? Then again...

bctd,

I have the Promaster packed up at the moment but I can unpack it and try to determine at what point in the zoom range the Promaster zoom does not reach focus at infinity with the Celestron scopes. I am sure I checked it at the lower end of the magnification range but not at the higher end. I have typically found that if a zoom will not focus at infinity at the lower powers then it typically will not at the highe powers. I will, of course, go back and check it and let you know.

For what it is worth the Baader Hyperion 21 mm will just barely reach focus at infinity with either of the Celestron Regal scopes. I have no room to "play" at end of the focus range with this eyepiece. Otherwise this eyepiece performs beautifully with this scope.

As per earlier comments I was on a camping excursion all of this past week. I took the Celestron ED-F 65 with me and used it at several locations. One of these locations was a wildlife "blind" setup on the edge of one of the lakes. I took some pictures through the Celestron of a Great Blue Heron hunting (about 60 yards away) and of a Bald Eagle on a nest approximately 350 yards away.

The Bald Eagle photo was taken at max zoom on the scope (48x) and at max optical zoom (3x) on the camera. The Heron picture was taken at 2x on the camera (ISO 200, F10.8, 1/250) and 20x on the scope. Nothing was done to the pictures except to resize them to fit in the forum.

Attachments

• eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 634
FrankD:

Nice photos. Your camping trip was timed perfectly for my next questions.

The Celestron Regal 65F-ED is both heavier and longer than the little Pentax PF-65ED. So, how did you like the handling of the Regal 65? Did the extra weight and greater bulk (due to length) become a pain or was there little practical difference between it and the Pentax? Any set-up or take-down issues? How fast does it come to focus with the course/fine focus? In the field has the resolution accross the magnification range remained acceptable? Has brightness been acceptable given various light conditions? How's it's reach into shade? Have you noticed any problems, any regrets? After living with it for five days of camping has love flourished or is it time for a divorce?

The Celestron Regal 65F-ED is both heavier and longer than the little Pentax PF-65ED. So, how did you like the handling of the Regal 65? Did the extra weight and greater bulk (due to length) become a pain or was there little practical difference between it and the Pentax? Any set-up or take-down issues? How fast does it come to focus with the course/fine focus? In the field has the resolution accross the magnification range remained acceptable? Has brightness been acceptable given various light conditions? How's it's reach into shade? Have you noticed any problems, any regrets? After living with it for five days of camping has love flourished or is it time for a divorce?

BCTD,

Lots of questions. I will do my best to answer them honestly.

In general I did not have any problem with the weight/handling of the 65. If someone were buying this scope and did not have familiarity with something like the Pentax 65 or the Promaster 65 then I do not think weight or length would be objectionable at all. The problem here is that I am not only familiar with both of the other scopes but I own them as well.

As for setup/takedown issues....none at all. I was carrying the scope in the factory provided softcase and the tripod in their respective soft case. Taking them both out and setting them up at various locations took under a minute.

I have not checked to see how fast/slow the course and fine focus are but I can do so shortly. The course focus seems, from a practical perspective, to move fast enough for me not to miss anything. The fine focus is a nice addition that really allows me to dial in the smallest detail.

I have no issues[/B with the apparent sharpness across the entire focus range in actual field use. This is one of the scope's strong points in my opinion.

One of the other strongpoints is the scope's level of apparent brightness. The combination of exceptionally low CA and excellent contrast make lowlight viewing easier than I expected. For someone looking for a lowlight 65 mm scope I would recommend it. Excellent reach into shaded areas even with backlighting.

There are two issues I want to mention to answer your last two questions. One, though I do not find it objectionable I did notice a bit more field curvature during "in the field" usage. It is most noticeable when panning across a large, open area. During stationary viewing it is barely noticeable.

The second is....I have decided to return the 65 mm Celestron and keep the 80 mm. My reasoning is fairly simple. The 80 mm model does everything tghe 65 mm will do and is actually a bit better in a few notable optical areas. The only downside to the 80 mm is the size and weight. Neither I find objectionable as I plan on using it as a primarily stationary scope for shorebird/waterfowl watching and the occasional mobile hawkwatch excursion during the winter.

I am going to keep the 65 mm Pentax ED instead because of its lighter and more compact package. I would/have been using the 65 mm models for a stationary hawkwatching activity which requires some hiking and narrow quarters. I can accept the compromise of slightly less image quality (contrast primarily) in comparison to a notably lighter and shorter package....especially with the tripod I just purchased.

As I mentioned earlier, if someone is looking for a "do everything" 65 mm ED/FL style scope then I would certainly put the Celestron 65 F-ED at the top of my list of recommendations. I have not found anything under $1000 that betters it optically in the 60-65 mm objective size.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Same scope but bigger lens. Just wanted to make sure it was the case. :)

Though doesn't one find that the 80mmish scopes are faster (have a smaller f number) than the 60mmish scopes. People don't like hauling those longer scopes around.

But I see for the Regal

65mm is f/5.94 (386mm focal length)
80mm is f/6.0 (480mm focal length)
100mm is f/5.4 (540mm focal length)

So not that much difference between the 65 and the 80 (with the 80 having the edge).

Interesting. That's not like say the Pentax PF65 and PF80.

Interesting. That's not like say the Pentax PF65 and PF80.

If I am not mistaken though the 65 and 80 mm Pentax utilize two different optical designs. I remember taking a look at the internal diagrams of each after Henry Link made a similar comment.

Frank..No wonder you find the 80mm even better than the 65...At F/6 is slightly (nominally really)slower than the 65mm,and with the larger aperture,and longer focal length ,it is going to resolve more detail and be brighter.I suspect that the weight difference is not much either...These scopes must have SUPER large prisms..I dont see How can the be so hefty otherwise...my Vixen Geoma ED 80mm,is a really nice scope,better corrected than the pentax 65 units that I have owned..Sharper,too..and although I dont complain about IQ,I suspect that the lightweight,sleek design,(42 Oz.) besides the fiberglass/composite body,compromises a little by using a fairly small prism system...I bet a larger,oversized prism ,would be brighter by comparison

Manuel,

I do believe you are correct about the prism size. I do also think though that the chassis construction has alot to do with it. I originally assumed they were magnesium but as per the earlier comments in this thread it would seem they are made out of aluminum. I think that, in and of itself, would explain a large percentage of the heavier weight.

As for the Pentax, I think I have a decent specimen. Othere than the contrast difference between it and the Celestron I have never really found it "wanting" in any optical or mechanical area.

I am interested in what you said about the Vixen Geoma scopes though and will look into them.

Thanks

FrankD:

You hit the nail on the head. Things are often different in the field. Bins that grade higher on an optical chart in a store are often not noticably sharper in the field. In the field weight counts. The little Pentax PF65 w/ep is a full pound lighter than the Regal 65
I will not carry bins over 24 oz. The field parameters for spotting scopes are different from those of binoculars, but weight and bulk still count - big time.

The big advantage of the Regal 65 is the added contrast. Any discussion of "color" benefits is so very subjective as to be meaningless. Contrast also counts - big time.

So it comes down to: small, light and more expensive vs big, heavy and contrasty. Also with a minor modification (replacing the compression ring), the WO zoom works with the Pentax 65. And you can get away with a lighter tripod for the Pentax 65. I know that's not a good idea, but - lighter weight is very seductive for field use. But, so too, is higher contrast...

Kristoffer,

No, the Regal does not appear to show any color bias whatsoever. It is very color neutral and represents color in much the same way as the Zeiss FL line of binoculars.

BCTD,

And therein lies the dilemna. Slightly better optical quality vs. portability. For now the Pentax is the winner...for this specific application. If it was an issue of just being able to have one scope then I would probably choose the Celestron 65 as it is a compromise between the Celestron 80 and the Pentax 65.

The 80mm version is out of stock here now http://www.adorama.com/CNR80.html?searchinfo=Celestron+Regal

Any other store got it?

2 kgs for the 80 mm version.. Hope my 128rc head can manage it.

http://www.google.com/products?&q=Celestron+Regal+80+F-ED

B&H has it (and will ship internationally, IIRC).

But Adorama has the best price so waiting for a restock might be a good idea.

Or

http://www.spottingscopes.com/spott...tron_Regal_80_F_ED_Spotting_Scope&TID=CELE324

spottingscopes.com are a branch of netshops.com and they often have a 10 or 15% discount coupon if you time your buy right (and free shipping) that would make theirs the best price.

See http://retailmenot.com and look up netshops.com coupons

Last edited:
Even before the coupon option the spottingscopes.com price is only $10 more than Adorama. With the 10% coupon though that would put it at $539. At 15% off that would be $509. What a steal!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back