• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits - Issen, Morocco (1 Viewer)

Mehdi S

Seen the day before yesterday, there were quite some Meadow and Tree pipits but I have no idea what this one is. All the pictures are of the same individual and were taken at Issen, Souss-Massa, Morocco.

I'm sorry in advance for the pictures quality, these buggers were very fast in flight and hard to photograph.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

Attachments

• Pipit1.jpg
    Pipit1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Pipit2.jpg
    Pipit2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 56
  • Pipit3.jpg
    Pipit3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Pipit4.jpg
    Pipit4.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Pipit5.jpg
    Pipit5.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 71
@FaroeRagnar: Possible but to be honest Richard's pipits are a rarity (considered as vagrant in Morocco) here so not that it's not possible but quite unlikely.

Thanks for your input!

Impossible to identify on just these flight shots. You need a selection of images of a Pipit on the ground plus the call it makes to start the process of identifying a bird in this family. Many can initially be identified by the flight or alarm call.

Impossible to identify on just these flight shots. You need a selection of images of a Pipit on the ground plus the call it makes to start the process of identifying a bird in this family. Many can initially be identified by the flight or alarm call.

Is the right answer.

@FaroeRagnar: Possible but to be honest Richard's pipits are a rarity (considered as vagrant in Morocco) here so not that it's not possible but quite unlikely.

Thanks for your input!

Yes, Richard’s Pipit is still a rarity in Morocco, but becomes more regular during the last few years. Moreover, a small numbers of birds are wintering regularly now in the Souss region.

So far, 21 records – involving more than 50 birds in total – have been accepted by the Moroccan Rare Birds Committee (MRBC). To these, we have to add some birds that have not been submitted to the MRBC.

You can have a look at the birds submitted to observation.org since 2000 (most of them are accepted).

Thank you a lot for your input, I most definitely thought those would be unidentifiable but who tries nothing gets nothing.

@Acrocephalus: Heard about the small numbers of birds overwintering in Morocco and I do use (and upload regularly to) observation.org but you can never be weary enough with these kinds of uncommon birds, especially when my pictures are so mediocre.

By the way, unrelated but I LOVE MaghrebOrnitho, very useful and interesting blog. :)

I don't really see what's reminiscent of Richard's Pipit here. To me this looks like a Tree Pipit, even though I wouldn't committ myself to this ID

We found Richard's Pipit fairly common in winter in Morocco in the early 1990', before we created Moroccan Rare Bird Committee. As records increased in Western Europe, notably migrants in France, I guess it is now even more common.

OP photos are not identifiable, but it is a small pipit (tree, meadow, red-throated...), not Richard.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back