• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID please - Hummer in So Arizona (1 Viewer)

Geni3

There are four hummer species here this summer, about 12 -15 total.

Two of these are male black-chinned (have seen no females) ... and the rest are [male, female, and juvenile] Anna's, Costa's, and broad-billed, in about equal numbers.

I only saw this bird once. (Photo below.) And I only had time to take this one picture. It was here for a few seconds -- and then gone.

At the time I saw it (just a quick glance) I thought it was a juvenile broad-billed. My impression was that it was larger than the Anna's, Costa's and black-chinned hummers and moved and acted like the broadbills do.

After seeing the picture though, I don't know what it is. Somehow it doesn't look like a juvenile at all -- more like an adult female. But which species? It's not an adult female broad-billed. Maybe a f. black-chinned?

I think it's probably a hummer that was just passing through and stopped to eat, since I haven't seen it again. But I'd really like to know what it is.

Help, anyone? Thanks!

Attachments

• 2330.Who.jpg
    2330.Who.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 85
Did you mean broadtail? If it was a female broadtail you'd know by hearing the shrill of the wings. To me looks more like a first yr. female Anna.

It's that time of year again! This is a juvenile male Black-chinned as indicated by broad tawny edges on the crown and nape feathers plus a triangular tip on R5. A juvenile female Anna's would usually have dark mottling on the throat similar to this bird, but she would also have rounded outer tail feathers, more mottled underparts, a thicker neck, and a proportionally shorter, straighter bill.

Only adult male Broad-taileds have the modified outer primaries that create the wing trill, plus they're up in the mountains this time of year.

It's that time of year again! This is a juvenile male Black-chinned as indicated by broad tawny edges on the crown and nape feathers plus a triangular tip on R5. A juvenile female Anna's would usually have dark mottling on the throat similar to this bird, but she would also have rounded outer tail feathers, more mottled underparts, a thicker neck, and a proportionally shorter, straighter bill.

Only adult male Broad-taileds have the modified outer primaries that create the wing trill, plus they're up in the mountains this time of year.

Thank you. I appreciate your help. I've never seen female or juvenile Black-chinned hummingbirds here during the summer before -- only adult males.

There were several B-c females (and probably juveniles?) here during the migration last fall, but that migration was pretty busy and confusing (understatement) -- with many more birds than normal. (I probably thought the juveniles were adult females and may have some photo file names to correct now! )

Last edited:

Great informative answer. But what is an R5 and where is it located in the picture?

There are four hummer species here this summer, about 12 -15 total.

Two of these are male black-chinned (have seen no females) ... and the rest are [male, female, and juvenile] Anna's, Costa's, and broad-billed, in about equal numbers.

I only saw this bird once. (Photo below.) And I only had time to take this one picture. It was here for a few seconds -- and then gone.

At the time I saw it (just a quick glance) I thought it was a juvenile broad-billed. My impression was that it was larger than the Anna's, Costa's and black-chinned hummers and moved and acted like the broadbills do.

After seeing the picture though, I don't know what it is. Somehow it doesn't look like a juvenile at all -- more like an adult female. But which species? It's not an adult female broad-billed. Maybe a f. black-chinned?

I think it's probably a hummer that was just passing through and stopped to eat, since I haven't seen it again. But I'd really like to know what it is.

Help, anyone? Thanks!

Great picture by the way !!! :t:

Great informative answer. But what is an R5 and where is it located in the picture?
Hi, going to try and answer this without getting it wrong. the R stands for rectrice - tail feather. Hummingbirds have 10 numbered on each side from 1, innermost, thru 5, outermost. R5 is the last one in the picture that can be seen on the left side of the bird.
Hope this helps. Lisa

Hi, going to try and answer this without getting it wrong. the R stands for rectrice - tail feather. Hummingbirds have 10 numbered on each side from 1, innermost, thru 5, outermost. R5 is the last one in the picture that can be seen on the left side of the bird.
Hope this helps. Lisa

I learn something new everyday. :t: I tried doing a Google for this information to learn more. Does anyone know of a site that would show the parts of a hummingbird?

Great picture by the way !!! :t:

Thanks, Bobbo. That bird was in and out of here so fast that I thought I was lucky to get a picture at all! I was amazed that any of it was in focus and pleased that some of the tail feathers were visible and not too blurred for help with ID. (Usually I have more motion blur in wings and tail.)

Good explanation, Lisa. Thanks.

Backyard Sanctuary, I've looked on the Internet for a picture showing parts of a hummingbird too and haven't found one. There's some descriptive text about anatomy here:http://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/anatomy.php

Everything that I know about the parts of a hummer is from one of Sheri Williamson's books. There's an excellent illustration with parts labelled in her Hummingbirds of North America. Check her post above and :

http://tzunun.home.mindspring.com/ and
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618024964/southeasternariz

I think Geni3 is spot on with her recommendation:
Everything that I know about the parts of a hummer is from one of Sheri Williamson's books.

My copy of Sheri's book gets a lot of use, and is the only reason I knew about the rectices.

Lisa

Backyard Sanctuary, I've looked on the Internet for a picture showing parts of a hummingbird too and haven't found one. There's some descriptive text about anatomy here:http://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/anatomy.php

Everything that I know about the parts of a hummer is from one of Sheri Williamson's books. There's an excellent illustration with parts labelled in her Hummingbirds of North America. Check her post above and :

http://tzunun.home.mindspring.com/ and
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618024964/southeasternariz

Thanks for the information. |=)|

Hope this helps. Lisa

Thank you! and I just thought they were called tail feathers! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back