• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vancouver Island, Canada (1 Viewer)

Staffsmartin

Staffsmartin
1 Cormorant and 3 gulls, would appreciate any help. Thanks Martin

Attachments

• 2016-09-13  Canada 017.jpg
    2016-09-13 Canada 017.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2016-09-14  Canada 097.jpg
    2016-09-14 Canada 097.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 2016-09-14  Canada 098.jpg
    2016-09-14 Canada 098.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2016-09-14  Canada 100.jpg
    2016-09-14 Canada 100.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 49
All three gulls again I'd say Glaucous-winged with a spot of Western in their ancestry - Vancouver is right in the area where the two meet any hybridise extensively.

I think the cormorant is a young Double-crested Cormorant. No other North American west coast cormorant is that pale in front. I agree that photos 2 & 3 are Glaucuos-winged Gull and the last California Gull.

Bill is very long / thin for double crested.
also immature DCCOs tend to show more gradation in color between front of neck and hind neck.
I have a bunch sitting on the pier outside my apartment right now ;)

Bill is very long / thin for double crested.
also immature DCCOs tend to show more gradation in color between front of neck and hind neck.
I have a bunch sitting on the pier outside my apartment right now ;)

The bill does look rather thin, but Pelagic (and Brandt's) never have a bill or a breast that pale, and Pelagic has a thinner neck. I still have to go with a Double-crested Cormorant.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back