• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 vs 10x42 the old story from a new perspective (1 Viewer)

Kenza

After reading quite a few threads on 8x42 vs 10 x42 binos i've decided to add a few thoughts based on personal experience.

Many people say that 8 x is better for woodland and 10 x for open spaces. This is a bit too general. Things are not that black and white. When you say this to someone who is a beginner they end up thinking that they need two different sized binoculars for birding. We need to clarify things with a bit more detail than just woodland and open spaces.

The only type of terrain where I advise people to bird with an 8x bino is mountainous terrain. For all other types ( coastal, wetlands, plains/steppes, desert etc.) take a 10x. There are two reasons for this: hand tremor and backpack weight. I haven't actually considered other segments like FOV or image brightness because frankly if I am not mountain birding I don't see a big difference between an 8x and a 10x when it comes to these characteristics. Let me explain.

For this test I used an 8 x 42 Kowa XD BD Prominar and a 10 x 42 Leica Noctivid. They are both mine, I haven't borrowed them or anything. Although the Kowa bino is MUCH cheaper than the Noctivid, if there is any difference in optical quality I haven't noticed it ( I hope the people at Kowa are reading this ;) ).And I use both binos a LOT. Seriously the view through the prominar series is AMAZING! But that is not what I am testing here. I wanted to see how hand tremor and backpack weight will affect my viewing during long hours of hiking. Please bear in mind that I am not a newbie to hiking and that my physical condition is pretty good. I have hiked mountains for years. Initially I thought that the tiredness in my hands will show itself after many hours of hiking. But it doesn't. It actually starts pretty quickly. Why? Because on a mountain you rarely have the opportunity to watch birds on level ground ( except when you reach a plateau). You are almost always at an angle. It takes much more effort te keep things steady when you are like this. As if this is not enough, we have the backpack weight issue. When walking on the coast or through wetlands, or even level woodland we usually ( at least I don't ) don't carry a heavy backpack. A couple of stuff for a couple of hours and it's enough. But when you're mountain hiking you carry more things and the backpack gets heavier. I am not saying that this is a fact for everyone and for all situations but that usually this is the case. Let's say you are climbing for 1-2 hours and suddenly a bird takes off from a nearby tree. You quickly lift your binos and start tracking the bird. But besides the usual hand tremor your whole body is now wobbling slightly from left to right, as if you were on a boat. What's going on?? It's your backpack. Remember, it's a bit heavy. It takes time to settle. At this moment you can't tell if the bird you are tracking is an eagle or a sparrow let alone identify the species :) . The wobbling stops and the view slightly steadies but the bird is gone. With the 10x this happens almost every single time, whether you are in an open mountain sideor inside a forested area. With the 8x things are much different. The view is much steadier and you can not only identify a bird but also enjoy watching it fly. All this above mentioned concerns not only birds in flight but also perched or ground birds. Now I don't carry a 10x with me anymore when I am on a mountain hiking. It's just pointless. The 8x does a very good job.

Conclusion – It is not just open/closed spaces that matter. You have to also take into account the type of terrain where you bird most. If you are mostly birding on level ground ( wetlands, plains, coast, desert and so on ) my advice is to get a 10x. You will appreciate the slightly higher magnification. I haven't noticed a big difference in hand tremor , FOV or image brightness in this type of terrain. On the other hand if you prefer mountain birding than go for an 8x and use it in open areas as well as in forested ones. You can get great views with an 8x in open areas. But if you bird in all these terrains equally than what can I say. Get both! :)

I hope this helps beginners decide and please , comments are very much appreciated.

Weight and field of view are not the only factors. Many years ago after using 10x binoculars for approx 18 years I purchased the Zeiss 7x42 and hardly ever used my 10x40 dialyts again. The advantage in woodland or forest was the deciding factor and this was due to better close focusing and depth of field. Depth of field is important in woodland and observing birds which are relatively close.
I would always recommend 8x as a first choice for new birdwatchers( you can use a telescope for higher magnification).
I'm lucky I have a pair of 8x32 and a pair of 10x42. If I could only have one pair it would be the 8x. This opinion is based on 46 years of birding.

Do you think quality of binocular comes into it. I’ve found that the FOV and close focusing that comes with high end 10x bins adequately compensates for the issues many people mention when describing the advantages of 8x vs 10x

Last edited:
I have 2 pairs of binoculars, 8 x 42 RSPB HD and 10 x 43 Hawke Frontier.

Both are pretty good mid-to-upper range bins, but obviously not as good as Leica/Swarovski etc.

But in general I use the 8 x 42 when I am birding in woodland with quick moving close warblers, and my 10 x 42 when doing all other birding - estuaries, open terrain, marshland etc.

I accept that most birders seem to settle for 8 x mag these days, but personally I struggle with the lack of magnification using them all the time, and I have tried. So I use my 10 x bins about 80% of the time, if not more.

Main advice I would give is listen to advice, but ultimately do what is best for you and your eyes as they are not the same as anyone elses, so only testing binoculars yourself is applicable.

Have a pair of each and use accordingly. The price and quality of good ones like Opticron means about 400 quid all in - well within the budget of most i would think:t:

Laurie -

The old 8x vs 10x mantra goes back a long way - worth bearing in mind that modern 10x roof prism binocs are lighter weight, and better at light transmission, than even 8x porro prism binocs from the time the mantra was first promulgated :t:

(Realising that the thread is old, it remains a useful one)
Interesting comment; a good point well made by Nutcracker. :t:

I'm looking at 10x binos at the moment to completment my 8x... so posts and comments like those in this tread are useful.

The old 8x vs 10x mantra goes back a long way - worth bearing in mind that modern 10x roof prism binocs are lighter weight, and better at light transmission, than even 8x porro prism binocs from the time the mantra was first promulgated :t:

I go back and forth on the handshake and magnification debate. Some days I do ok with 10x, some days I am shakey with the 8x. Sometimes the lighter binos seem steadier to me than the heavy ones. I dunno! I'm just a one off human, and probably just a bad sample at that ;) Ability to hold the eyecups to the brow/sockets and ability to get a good relaxed but funtional grip on the barrels probably makes more difference in shake/view quality than 8x vs 10x. But then again there is a reason Leica's 7x42 is legendary for long viewing sessions, and walking, hiking, and boating into habitat where the things you want to see live. I will say it is just a joy to handhold 6x32, just rock solid with no perceptible handshake for me, bright and wide too. Is there a takeaway from all that? Not really. You do you. Get some 10x and see how you like them. I like all the mags on certain days for certain things. People that can afford a quiver of binos often have a quiver... myself included in that camp. Can't go wrong with an 8x32 or 42. For longer distances, bracing a 10x42 is nice. For hiking and walking I like 8x. For car birding and wide open spaces 10x. I wouldn't ever go 10x32, nor a higher mag than 10x handheld. However, I know two people with very steady hands that like 11x45 and 16x56 (handheld!!). Both are top shelf birders with "unconventional" optics preferences. And I know hunters that carry 12x42. I would never do that, but I drink coffee...

For modern binoculars, I don't see the issues with field of view for 10x binoculars, for example NL 10x42 at 399/1000 or NL 10x32 at 396/1000 so a wide field of view 10x is as good as any 8x in a woodland with the benefit of seeing the birds with more vivid details..

For modern binoculars, I don't see the issues with field of view for 10x binoculars, for example NL 10x42 at 399/1000 or NL 10x32 at 396/1000 so a wide field of view 10x is as good as any 8x in a woodland with the benefit of seeing the birds with more vivid details..
I personally find the better FOV and perhaps just as importantly the depth of of field of 7or 8x binoculars superior in woodland. I used my Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 as my default binocular for many years without using my older 10x40s.

Hand shake is not a problem if the binos eyecups rise up far enough to use them to brace the binos against my eye sockets. This makes all the difference in the world. There is a lot more light transmission with 10x as compared to 8x and that makes it easier to see details in low light situations.

I have 8x and 10x and 12x binos with 25mm, 30mm, 43mm, and 50mm objectives as well as 20x60 for stargazing. The 8x ones have not been out of the storage box in years. Prior to the Covid pandemic shutting everything down I had planned to take all my 8x binos on my next trip to South America and donage them to local research groups.

My latest purchase was a 12x50 from Vortex that was very inexpensive and at 29 ounces it is not very heavy to have hanging off my neck. My favorites for wildlife photography are the Swarovski 10x25 Pocket Mountain binos that are small enough when folded to fit in any jacket pocket and even in the water bottle pockets with my backpacks.

One thing I have done is buy the inexpensive Nikon Monarch 8x25 binos and put them in our two vehicles so they are always available.

I am new to birding and wildlife viewing in general, but have been quite involved with optics for the past few years, mainly for amateur astronomy. I had not read this insightful original post a couple of weeks ago before pulling the trigger on an Oberwerk Sport ED. But after a lot of reading on the subject, I arrived to the same conclusion… that 10x42 binoculars might be more useful to me for a mix of safari/birding excursions in India next February. At home in Mexico, 10x42 also seems to me more appropriate for birding where we live with nearby wetlands along the coast. One might be viewing birds from a distance on a small lancha boat or from a road or a bridge.

At any rate, great thread! I am enthusiastic about learning more about birding with my new binoculars.

With 10x and 12x binoculars I now leave my scope and its tripod at home. In low light or with very small birds the 25% gain in image size with a 10x compared to a 8x helps me a great deal. Out on a small boat a 7x50 are my favorite choice and invaluable when navigating at night and needing to see buoys and channel markers and other boats and ships.

8 x 42s went through a real favoured phase here in the UK, I do have a pair but rarely use them unless its dense woodland birding where you need quick focus and can obtain close views.

I much prefer my 10 x 42s though (Swarovski), because as said above, that extra 20-25% closer or more powerful focus provides more detailed views and I find that invaluable on many occasions.

But its each to their own and what suits your own eyes. And that varies.

I used 10s all my life but at 60 I have dropped to 8s as I get a less jerky view. (I also have a stabilised 10 which I occasionally use - stabilisation is amazing but the optics are not as nice as I'd like).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back