• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaeger sp. Vancouver Island. Canada (Aug. 26, 2018) (1 Viewer)

Indobirder

Hi all,

I've got some older pictures of a jaeger sp. from Vancouver Island (Ucluelet) back in Aug 2018. I know the pictures aren't great, but am hoping they are good enough for an ID.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 71
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 42
  • combined.jpg
    combined.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 78
Someone suggested it being a Parasitic dark morph due to pointed tips to the central rectrices and there being too much white in the outer wing for Long-tailed.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess?
Fwiw, I also think it's Parasitic, but this was my first and only time seeing a jeager, and I don't know much about them

Looks like Arctic on build, proportions and plumage to me there is also a couple of shots in the montage showing slightly protruding central tail feathers (to my eyes anyway) - there are much better birders on here with far more experience and hopefully one of them will pitch in with an informative post:t:

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back