• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Brazil - Atlantic Rainforest (1 Viewer)

Aracari

Birding in Brazil
Went yesterday to my typical weekend spot, in the Serra do Mar Atlantic Rainforest at sea level, about an hour from Sao Paulo.

In the morning, following a trail up some montane forest, I stumbled across a huge ant swarm and the usual followers were present: many white-shouldered fire-eye, gray-hooded attila, black-capped foliage gleaner, black-goggled tanager and several plain-winged woodcreeper. In the vicinity I also saw a white-tailed trogon and a blonde-crested woodpecker. On a deep gorge I saw a very big white colored eagle flying away, not sure what it was.

In the afternoon I went near some orchards and found violaceous euphonia, blue dacnis, red-necked tanager, ruby-crowned tanager, chestnut-bellied euphonia, azure-shouldered tanager, brazilian tanager, plain parakeet, scaly-headed parrot, channel-billed toucan, a very close view to a red-ruffed fruitcrow (when I got him on my viewfinder it flew away, typical) and some others with less interest, like typical flycatchers, ground-doves, etc.

Below are some photos taken:
63556205.98jhsMbx._DSC8071.jpg

63555735.xFpYB3EP._DSC7970.jpg

63556037.KvkYmGcC._DSC7982.jpg

63555477.fjFdwprX._DSC8037.jpg

63555672.4zqH21em._DSC7918_2.jpg

thanks for looking

Last edited:
Aracari

This is a wonderful report ! How blessed you are to have these species in your own local patch.I will be in Peruibe and Ourinhos for a week in late December 2006 and I would like to email you about birding together for a day or two . I just bought the 'All the birds of Brazil" book by Souza and my mind is begining to wonder about all the birding oppourtunities in the area.
Meanwhile thanks for the report and fantastic photos! :clap:
-Stephen Bahr

stephennj said:
This is a wonderful report ! How blessed you are to have these species in your own local patch.I will be in Peruibe and Ourinhos for a week in late December 2006 and I would like to email you about birding together for a day or two . I just bought the 'All the birds of Brazil" book by Souza and my mind is begining to wonder about all the birding oppourtunities in the area.
Meanwhile thanks for the report and fantastic photos! :clap:
-Stephen Bahr

Sure Stephen, send me an email and we'll go birding! This place I went to is very close to SP. Next week I'm also visiting a place (about 3 hours from here) called Parque do Zizo, it's inside the State Park of Carlos Botelho... it seems to be excellent there. Will post a report here, and hopefully some good photos.

Parque do Zizo visit

Aracari said:
Sure Stephen, send me an email and we'll go birding! This place I went to is very close to SP. Next week I'm also visiting a place (about 3 hours from here) called Parque do Zizo, it's inside the State Park of Carlos Botelho... it seems to be excellent there. Will post a report here, and hopefully some good photos.

Hiya,

I'm just back from Parque do Zizo! I wish I'd thought of contacting you before I went - I'm sure I'd have seen a lot more...Oh well, it's a fantastic place and deseves a great deal of support for all its conservation work. I've posted a report with some photos (it rained continuously so the photos are a bit limited) at http://www.charliesbirdblog.com/zizojuly06/zizojuly06.html

If you'd like to make email contact please mail me at [email protected]

Cheers

Excellent pictures Aracari - just back from southeast Brazil and saw a similar range of birds. Also enjoyed looking at Charlie's report - I think you were unlucky to catch the rain as the previous few weeks had been almost cloudless. I shall have to try to get to Zizo next time I'm in Brazil. It's a bit reminiscent of the excellent REGUA reserve near Rio:

http://www.regua.co.uk/index.php

I went to Brazil for the first time in June. I have a trip report on my website if you or anyone else is interested. Lots of cool birds, but they sure as heck are hard to get photos of in the forest!

Trip Report Link

I don't post here too often, I'll try to hang out more. :)

EDIT: By the way, your photos are amazing!

The only time I see beautiful coloured birds like that are on the kids cartoons.

Seriously, what beautiful photos of some wonderful looking birds. Its amazing how continents differ.

Thank you all for the comments!

Very nice reports there... Charlie it was really unlucky that you got this wet weather. This has been a very dry, sunny winter and honestly you got the only wet week of the season.

Next time you guys come around here send me a note, I'd like to join you guys if possible!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back