Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

K 100D and Sigma 170-500mm; HELP!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 25th July 2007, 02:15   #1
Matt Palmquist
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grainfield, KS
Posts: 35
K 100D and Sigma 170-500mm; HELP!

I bought a Sigma 170-500mm APO off of Ebay. It said that it was for a film camera, but I thought that it could be used on either.

Anyways, I have had the camera and lens for a while now, but am still very naive to the dSLR game and the manual settings. I have taken quite a few photos, but now have a problem.

My problem is that the camera will not do anything when the 170-500mm lens is attached. The other lenses I have work fine. It is flashing Av-- in the top LCD, and F-- is flashing through the viewfinder. I have tried changing the aperture priority, but I can't change anything. Have I accidently caused the camera to lock up, or is there a problem with the lens?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Palmquist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th July 2007, 12:27   #2
stevetb
Registered user
 
stevetb's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: England
Posts: 2,809
I have no experience with pentax d-slr so i dont know. The lens should work fine, i assume you have the non dg version. I have a 135-400 non dg on my 400d, it works fine. perhaps you should try phoning sigma/pentax?
stevetb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th July 2007, 13:05   #3
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018
 
postcardcv's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 17,066
It's probably a lens issue. Some of the older copies of this lens are not suitable for use on digital bodies and need to be 're-chipped' to work. You may be able to get some use from it by setting the camera to apertue priority and setting the lens wide open (F6.3 at 500mm) as it's closing the aperture that is the problem. If you contact Sigma with the serial number of the lens they will be able to tell you if this is the problem and also advise if it can be sorted.
postcardcv is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th July 2007, 22:54   #4
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...
 
Keith Reeder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE England
Posts: 11,038
So it was working then stopped, Matt?

That might rule out Postcardcv's suggestion, which would probably be the explanation if it had never worked.

A couple of thing to try:

Make sure the battery is fully charged (you never know);

Try removing the battery for a while to see if that resets the camera/lens;

Try a "hard reset" of the camera (most cameras have an option to do this, I assume the Pentax is no different);

Clean the lens contacts - a pencil eraser is good.
__________________
Keith Reeder

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk
Keith Reeder is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th July 2007, 23:48   #5
Spot Focus
Registered User
 
Spot Focus's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Palmquist View Post
I bought a Sigma 170-500mm APO off of Ebay. It said that it was for a film camera, but I thought that it could be used on either.

Anyways, I have had the camera and lens for a while now, but am still very naive to the dSLR game and the manual settings. I have taken quite a few photos, but now have a problem.

My problem is that the camera will not do anything when the 170-500mm lens is attached. The other lenses I have work fine. It is flashing Av-- in the top LCD, and F-- is flashing through the viewfinder. I have tried changing the aperture priority, but I can't change anything. Have I accidently caused the camera to lock up, or is there a problem with the lens?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Hi try checking that the aperture ring is set to the A position on the lens. If that doesnt work try asking the question at http://pentaxworld.com
__________________
Cheers
Nick
Pentax K10D
Sigma 50-500 APO DG
Spot Focus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 29th July 2007, 22:33   #6
Matt Palmquist
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grainfield, KS
Posts: 35
Yes, it was working, but then quit. The aperture ring is set on A, but I think the problem may be with the aperture ring. It started doing this a week or two ago, but if I jiggled the lens it would work. Now it just flashes Av -- constantly.

I have contacted Sigma, but of course they just want me to send it to them. So, I guess that is what I will do.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Keith, Stupid question, but where are the lens contacts?

Matt
Matt Palmquist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 30th July 2007, 03:29   #7
Matt Palmquist
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grainfield, KS
Posts: 35
Well, I cleaned the contacts, and it didn't change. I decided to jiggle the lens like before, and got it to work again Something isn't contacting right, but I may have found a quick fix to get me through the fall months.

Thanks again for the help and ideas!!

Matt
Matt Palmquist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st August 2007, 21:39   #8
impotentspider
Registered User
 
impotentspider's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: leeds
Posts: 234
This has to be said Matt;

Have you bought a dodgy lens? its quite possible this is the reason the original owner disposed of it. do you have or know anyone who has any other Pentax bodies you could try the lens on to see if the problem ocours with other cameras? However if all your other lenses are ok then the problem does seem to be with the contacts on the Sigma, if you got the lens for a good price it may well pay you to have it checked out by Sigma
impotentspider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd August 2007, 03:55   #9
Matt Palmquist
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grainfield, KS
Posts: 35
Yes I would say I did get the run around by a person on Ebay. The lens will not work on My K100D or my ZX-30 film camera.

It is not contacting on the botton side of the contact ring. If you push/pull down the lens will work, so I know that is the problem.

I only paid $390 for it on Ebay and most were going for well over $500 at the time. I thought it was a steal, but am now having second thoughts.

Lesson learned I guess
Matt Palmquist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd August 2007, 22:40   #10
Spot Focus
Registered User
 
Spot Focus's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Palmquist View Post
Yes I would say I did get the run around by a person on Ebay. The lens will not work on My K100D or my ZX-30 film camera.

It is not contacting on the botton side of the contact ring. If you push/pull down the lens will work, so I know that is the problem.

I only paid $390 for it on Ebay and most were going for well over $500 at the time. I thought it was a steal, but am now having second thoughts.

Lesson learned I guess
That would explain alot as the contacts are on the bottom side. It might be fixable with a new mounting bayonet
__________________
Cheers
Nick
Pentax K10D
Sigma 50-500 APO DG
Spot Focus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 8th September 2007, 15:14   #11
Matt Palmquist
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grainfield, KS
Posts: 35
Well, I am a little embarrassed to say it took me so long to identify the problem, but at least I did before sending it to sigma

I have been getting by on using an eraser to clean the contacts on the lens. While doing so today I noticed that one of the screws on the mount was loose. I tightened it up and problem fixed.

I sure feel like an idiot for not noticing this earlier, but better late than never. Plus now I still feel like I got a good deal off of Ebay.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Matt
Matt Palmquist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 07:25   #12
bestboat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Palmquist View Post
Well, I am a little embarrassed to say it took me so long to identify the problem, but at least I did before sending it to sigma

I have been getting by on using an eraser to clean the contacts on the lens. While doing so today I noticed that one of the screws on the mount was loose. I tightened it up and problem fixed.

I sure feel like an idiot for not noticing this earlier, but better late than never. Plus now I still feel like I got a good deal off of Ebay.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Matt
Matt,
We all feel like idiots at one time or another, so don't worry too much about it, and just congratulate yourself with finding the solution to your problem. Your experience in this matter is a useful lesson to us all.
Thanks for relating it.
Hope that all goes well from now on.
bestboat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX HSM Andy Holt Sigma & Other Third Party Lenses 16 Thursday 20th August 2015 19:11
Tamron 200-500mm vs. Sigma 50-500mm DG JSI Sigma & Other Third Party Lenses 30 Monday 19th January 2009 08:07
Sigma 500mm F4.5 APO EX chinny Sigma & Other Third Party Lenses 16 Wednesday 25th July 2007 21:25
sigma 500mm f4.5 mad Sigma & Other Third Party Lenses 5 Monday 16th July 2007 20:47
SIGMA 400mm F5.6 APO HSM or Sigma 170-500mm CurtMorgan Sigma & Other Third Party Lenses 7 Saturday 4th November 2006 02:07

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17144799 seconds with 26 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07.