• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AT80HD stiff focus wheel after service (1 Viewer)

geastrum

Hi all,
I just "upgraded" from a ~1999 AT80 (non-HD) to a 1997 AT80HD. The AT80HD is the square-ended older version with softer coatings. Not too worried about that, more worried about getting a good copy.

I've used the AT80 happily for 17 years. However, ever since I bought the 25-50x zoom a few years ago and I've increasingly felt that I was "ready" to get a better corrected scope.

I bought the AT80HD from Ace Optics in Bath, felt pretty good to buy from a reputable dealer so I could return it if it was not a good copy. However, the optics are truly excellent so it's a keeper from that perspective. Just had some beautiful views of 4 white storks and a couple of red kites outside my house.

One issue, though: the focus wheel is quite stiff. My AT80 can be turned with one finger, but the AT80HD must be grabbed with two fingers. I guess the 19yr old AT80 may have gotten pretty loose over time, but I definitely prefer it to the stiff AT80HD.

The AT80HD was just serviced by Swarovski. Is it common for scopes to return from service with a stiff focus wheel? Do you think there is a good chance it will loosen after a couple of months? I really hope so.

Of course, I can still return the scope and buy another one, but I think I prefer to keep an optically "known good" over an unknown scope.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180323-105514~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20180323-105514~2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 176
As an aside, I was quite disappointed in the old-style (fold down eyecup) 30xWW eyepiece that came with the AT80HD. Back in the 1990's I used to think that this was a fine eyepiece, and fixed EPs have generally aged better than zooms. Since I already had the old 20-60x zoom, I liked the fact that the scope came with a fixed 30x. However, I don't think that I will keep it.

With the 30x on the AT80 and the 25-50x on the AT80HD, the image in the AT80 was dull, low contrast with a disturbing yellow cast, whereas the AT80HD was crisp, light and almost neutral. Switching the eyepieces, the AT80HD+30xWW combination was slightly crispier than the AT80+25-50x combination, but the difference was not very clear cut at all. To me, this suggests that the upgrade from 30xWW to 25-50xW makes almost exactly as large a difference in I as the upgrade from AT80 to AT80HD.

I expect the 30xSW to be a similarly large upgrade over the 30xWW.

Both the focus wheel and the zoom of my AT80 are also stiff, I can remember they have always been like that (I bought the scope around 2000), but as long as I can use the focus wheel with one finger it doesn't bother me. If I couln't I would not hesitate to bring them back to Swarovski.
Moreover I remember pretty well the Swaro reseller telling me the focus wheel of the scope was designed to be used "between the thumb and forefinger", not with the forefinger only.

Hi,

I cannot remember having used a Swaro scope where I could turn the focus easily with one finger, so two it was. Not a big fan of the huge focus wheel anyways.

If the focus turns smoothly and quietly from end to end but needs a light grip with two fingers, this might well be a sign of new grease in there and it might get better with time. If you need to apply real force or the movement is uneven, sth is amiss.

If you are content with the optics, I would keep it - either sending it back to Swaro right away asking if they could fix the focus drive or do so later if it doesn't get better after a few months of use.

Joachim

Thanks gentlemen for your input. I've used the scope some more, and the weather is no longer freezing cold. Both factors probably contributed to the fact that the focus wheel already feels a little more loose. I'm pretty sure the scope was put up for sale immediately after it came back from service so that I'm the first person to condition this grease. I've also gotten more used to grabbing the wheel between my thumb and index finger.

For now I'll just keep using it and see what it's like in a couple of more months. I've done some more star tests and it's a very well collimated scope. I'm more than content.

Last edited:
Oh, and the focus wheel on my "new" AT80HD is very smooth and even from end to end in both directions. My old AT80 scope was not, it had a bit of play when changing directions and did a weird clicking sound when it reached infinity, so I sent it in for service.

I can see why someone wouldn't like the big focus wheel of the AT series, but I've become so used to it since it's pretty much the only scope I've ever used ( I upgraded from my father's old TS-1 to the AT80 as a 16-year old). I'm really happy that I've been able to upgrade the optics, without altering the ergonomics that I'm so used to using. In particular, I feel that the low eyepiece placement is a very underrated aspect of the gray AT bodies, it really makes aiming super easy.

Hi,

good to hear that your new scope is now working as it should. Good optics is the most important point - I have unfortunately seen my share of bad alphas...

Have fun with it!

Joachim

Just received my AT80HD back from Swarovski after service. The zoom lens and the 30ww and the scope had small specks inside and the scope focus had a little play.
Really impressed by the fast turnround and the quality of the work. Everything absolutely clean and the focus is smooth and free of play.

Just received my AT80HD back from Swarovski after service. The zoom lens and the 30ww and the scope had small specks inside and the scope focus had a little play.
Really impressed by the fast turnround and the quality of the work. Everything absolutely clean and the focus is smooth and free of play.

Yep, same positive experience here. Recently sent in my AT80 with broken focus mechanism. Came back very quickly, clean and smooth, almost as new. I was also extremely impressed when they essentially updated my SLC 8x30 WB from Mark II to Mark III for free (new rubber, new twist-up eyecups, everything).

Top notch customer service.

My AT80HD is getting looser and looser. I'm starting to be able to use one finger now, even though I have had much time to bird. It'll probably be fine eventually.

Last edited:
Btw, I've actually changed my mind about the 30x WW, which at first made me a bit disappointed (described in post #2). I was recently able to spend some time comparing the 30x WW on the AT80HD against my father's Leica APO-televid 77 with the 32xW. I've always loved the Leica 32xW. The small, old-style Swarovski 30xWW looks a little silly next to the big and beautiful Leica eyepiece, but the image it delivered was definitely on par with the Leica. Very nice, wide, bright and sharp.

So I decided to keep the 30xWW. The newer SW is better if course, but the WW is definitely worth keeping as a backup to my 25-50x.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back