• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Antivirus (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
I recently purchased a new PC which came with a month's free antivirus with Mcafee. The free month ends tonight and I was wondering what to do. A friend who knows a bit about computers (well more than me anyway) said a free version of Mcafee or AVG should suffice. But I was wondering what others think would be the best option. As it's a new PC I don't want to compromise it by getting basic free protection if that's not enough to fully protect me. So I'd be grateful for any opinions.

Last edited:
The built in protection that comes with Windows 10 is more that adequate. The most important anti-virus tool is behind the keyboard! Check the bona fides of any links, especially in emails, before you click on them.

That's what I was told too, Mono. I've never 'paid' for an anti-virus yet and never picked up anything.

Mind I'm not a great one for clicking on things that I don't understand, so am careful. Even if I'm pretty sure an email is from my bank, I go in my own way, not through the link they provide.

Many thanks both. I was completely unaware that Windows 10 had inbuilt adequate protection. However, can I just pick your brains again. I did a quick google search of Windows 10 protection and it mentions that it is "good enough as long as you couple it with a good anti malware program." Is that something I will already have or is it something I should maybe download? Cheers.

There can be a lot of paranoia in writing about computer security, some anti-malware products will flag up advertising cookies as "threats". There is also a desire to up-sell products, all the free anti-virus and anti-malware products have bigger and "better" premium offerings.

Using the Windows 10 Defender with automatic updates (the default setting) is fine.

I took my Desktop in for a simple updates problem and the tech guy completely lost everything. Needless to say I wasn’t going to give him a second chance and took it to a guy who had been recommended to me. He recovered everything and at the same time installed Malwarebytes free and it is wonderful. Further to that; a recent brilliant article in a Saturday glossy magazine stated that there was no need ever to pay for protection.

Hi, I also have a new PC. I am happy to stick to Windows Defender (already installed on W10 machines) and Malwarebytes Anti-malware free.

Dave

The advantages to paid security are usually addons like backup, multiple devices, lost device recovery, remote data wipe if lost etc.

The advantages of free anti-virus are, free, many have frequent automatic updates, quick response to new threats, scheduled scans at various levels. Good review sites help choice and will refer to these points and disadvantages such as advertising.

It is in my consideration foolish not to extend the Windows Defender coverage but the extent to which you do that depends on some research into the above points, operating ram, memory, amount and intent of browsing and spam received etc..

Another alternative is to go to a Linux OS with basic free antivirus. You save data too that way but it is a slight learning curve.

Backups of data, docs and pics are also certainly as important. Do not rely on one method. I am a retired electronics tech. and have managed a computer store. I have seen quite rare, but devastating virus and other attack destruction. 'Set and forget' of any decently reviewed free antivirus that scans in background and checks realtime should not interfere with computer usage and will, at least once in a lifetime, prove worthwhile for home users in my experience. I use Eset but have used AVG, Kespersky and others, changing according to reviews where pertinent and usually when advertising or purchase prompts get annoying. For anyone with any enterprise where one holds data or information concerning others, the AV is essential.

Malwarebytes free already mentioned is very good software and covers areas not in all AV software but if i recall you do have initiate some scans. I always use it or similar.

Research for an hour, make choice, set and forget, backup all data both on and off site. It is a real world, be careful.

Malwarebytes free already mentioned is very good software and covers areas not in all AV software but if i recall you do have initiate some scans. I always use it or similar.

Malwarebytes scans can be scheduled or initiated on demand. The "threat scan" takes less than ten minutes on my new Windows desktop.

Gary H

Malwarebytes scans can be scheduled or initiated on demand. The "threat scan" takes less than ten minutes on my new Windows desktop.

Gary H

thank you Gary. I really like that software but the free version had restrictions on something last year, either updates or scheduling. it is not a bad thing to set a weekly reminder to check scheduled updates and backups anyway.

i am now completely on android os with no lack of any usual function including office software and that suits me. especially as i save gigabytes on windows updates now i am on mobile data. thus i freed my heavily MS based win 10 laptop for occasional use with a light linux os. should have done it years ago but people, including me, are often constrained from drastic change by conservative attitudes to reliability.

only Kaspersky for me

Wouldn't touch them myself. Last I heard they have been linked to the KGB--accused of providing KGB with special access to anyone who uses it. US Government now prohibits anyone in the government from using it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back