• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Windows Update issues (1 Viewer)

Have you tried
Start>
Settings>
Devices>
Touchpad, then uncheck "Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected"

Grrrr.!!!! I've looked for that option so many times over the last 24 hours and couldn't find it.

Another search tonight and I have picked it up.... a slightly different path to the one you gave me.... well a bit longer actually. I had to click on the Elan tab and eventually found it in there.

Now to see if it actually 'sticks' over the next few days.

Thanks lad.

Thanks very much.

Delia:

When I got around to setting up my new Windows 10 desktop in mid-January update problems arose almost immediately. Four updates were stuck on "awaiting restart" for weeks. HP disclaimed responsibility and referred me to Microsoft. A remote MS tech attempted a fix late January but finally just turned off updates.

I contacted MS for status on the ticket early this week and yesterday a second-level remote tech spent perhaps four hours navigating through the system. He completed a relatively benign system reinstall that left all apps intact (though I did have to reinstall my wireless printer), checked for updates, installed the updates, restarted the PC, checked again & got the "your pc is up to date" response. Unprecedented on this machine. The tech tells me that it has been a widespread problem and that a fix is forthcoming, but you MIGHT consider opening a support ticket with Microsoft.

I can't say that my problem is the same as yours, but it is a relief to have updates functional.

Gary H

Hi Thanks Gary.

The only change that hasn't been resolved now is the reading of my pictures from the card. But now I'm used to it, it's not too bad.

It's so frustrating though when the update changed so many of my settings and I've had to try and remember how I did them originally.

Dave's pointer to deactivate the touch pad seems to be working today, so that's great. I've not tried taking the mouse out yet though, but at least the constant irritating pop-ups have stopped.

What is "a support ticket with Microsoft"?

I trust these updates so little that I never install them, had so much trouble with Win10 that I uninstalled it.

For what I do on my pc, it's not worth the hassle for upgrades or functions that I'll probably never use, still tootling along with Win7.

A

can you really stop auto update? every time I turn it off the next day it's on again

I trust these updates so little that I never install them, had so much trouble with Win10 that I uninstalled it.

For what I do on my pc, it's not worth the hassle for upgrades or functions that I'll probably never use, still tootling along with Win7.

A

I have Classic Shell installed on my W10 laptop, so it works like a Win7 system.

Had an awful time on Saturday, when it somehow got switched off and I was faced with the ghastly w10 screens. Completely lost.

No shortcut desktop icons etc... everything had to be found in the hard drive. You can't re-size screens and have two or three going. Nothing in the Task Bar.

Backwards and forwards I had to go from one screen to find another. I was tearing my hair out until Jape told me how to switch Classic Shell on again.

Trouble is, I understand that CS is no longer being supported and updated. Don't know what I'll do if it collapses.

Whoever dreamed up W10 and that horrid system needs shooting (well that's a polite term for what I want to do with them).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back