• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

As a bird photographer, I'm glad I picked Nikon (1 Viewer)

I have no problem whatsoever tracking flying birds with even a 20D, let alone my 50D, which has a much better autofocus system. If you think any camera available today will track every bird in every situation then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. In the old days we had manual focus, you had one focus point, and it was no problem, perhaps someone needs to work on their technique.

As for poor tracking of birds, of course the body is the driving force, but if you have the wrong lens, it isnt going to make things any easier. Even with 51 autofocus points you still have to lock on with the centre point first before the others will take over. Again, sounds like poor technique. Id like to see a body that can track every bird flying towards you, that has got to be the hardest scenario of all, and with a Snowy Owl, i am assuming on snow, with very little contrast, you are asking for trouble with any camera and lens combination. There is after all that little switch on the lens that i bet most people have never used, it says MF on it.

Please explain the purpose of tagging images with GPS data, as im a little confused as to the reason for it. I can understand when someone is in a different country every day, and can lose track of where they photographed some images, but for the average joe ? And would that person be using a D300 ? I think not.

If you do not want to have to work at producing good images then perhaps you have the wrong hobby. It it were really simple what would be the point ? I saw a great comment from someone in a post some time ago, it mentioned "credit card photographers", meaning people who buy expensive gear with a credit card, and expect it to do everything for them, with little idea of what is going on or how to use it, how true that statement is.

If you dont like the way canon do it, the answer is oh so simple, buy a Nikon that apparently can..........................ahhhhhhh, but that wouldnt work either, what would get the blame for poor photos ?

We have a saying in the UK, a poor workman always blames his tools, never a truer word.

Nikon v Canon comments always make me chuckle, its like saying which is best, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, you wil never get agreement from owners. I happen to think my Landrover is far superior to both, id love to see a fancy sports car on the tracks i go down every day.

I am camera brand agnostic. It would be great if one brand could satisfy all my needs but lucky for them they don't. I prefer Nikon dslrs for their ease of use but hate their digicams for the same reason. Canon is just so much better in the digicam segment. But once Panasonic has a 500mm or longer lens for their micro 4/3 G1 series, I'm there! A 2x crop factor is a gift for wildlife photography.

cheers,
Rick

I am camera brand agnostic. It would be great if one brand could satisfy all my needs but lucky for them they don't. I prefer Nikon dslrs for their ease of use but hate their digicams for the same reason. Canon is just so much better in the digicam segment. But once Panasonic has a 500mm or longer lens for their micro 4/3 G1 series, I'm there! A 2x crop factor is a gift for wildlife photography.

cheers,
Rick
On the bolder part I agree completely. I have a Canon point and shoot which is a great little camera. I hate the Nikon ones.

Well I've not used either the 50D or the D300 so I cn't really comment on those two, but from what I've read a lot of people seem to think that the current crop of Nikon bodies seem to have the edge over the Canons. As a Canon user I think this is great news, if Canon were out in front they wouldn't have the same need to produce better products. While Canon and Nikon keep pushing each other to develop better cameras and lenses we'll all benefit.

I wouldn't like to say which is best - I have a D300 but have never used the Canon. I prefer Nikon because I'm used to them. Can't see myself ever switching simply becasuse of the cost involved. I was happy with my D70 before - even though Canon were probably making better cameras.

There's probably very little in it nowadays.

I would even go as far as to agree and say that Nikon were ahead of Canon at the moment, judging by the reports. You only have to look at sporting events to see that, a lot of agency photographers have switched to Nikon. At one time all the events had about 90% white lenses, now its probably 50%, which from my point of view, can only be good for me, as Canon will start giving more for your money to compete. All i was trying to do was highlight the fact it is not a poor camera, but a poor photographer that will blame his equipment. Why doesnt it do this, and why doesnt it do that ? Thats the way it was made, and thats how you bought it, with that exact specification, so why moan about how it should have been made?

I see no-one has answered the reason for cameras needing GPS.

I see no-one has answered the reason for cameras needing GPS.

Its the last thing I need, but I reckon it could be useful in journalism.
Proof that you were where you claimed you where when an image was taken could be handy.
Or a disadvantage if you were on private land and worked as a pap.... ;)

The reason I like these Canon vs Nikon discussions is because it teaches me a lot about the people who use them more than anything lol

Matter of personal preference. I can't imagine anyone preferring the spot meter remaining in the center rather than the active focal point. Matter of personal preference. One may prefer a good AF system to more megapixels? Now I'm confused.

On the other hand, the fact that Nikon being ahead will only make Canon better is very true. Which then will make Nikon stay on their game as well. That's really why comparing them can be good. We as consumers can look for the most bang for our bucks.

yep and if we believe what we read we would need to buy a new body every year because it would take better images than the last, I'd like to see how Nikon or Canon could improve some of the photographers on BF such as Nigel B's, Adrian's , Nigel P's or Annette's images and that list could go on and on (and does).
The best way to improve your shots is to improve your technique & fieldcraft IMHO

I can't imagine anyone preferring the spot meter remaining in the center rather than the active focal point.

And i cant imagine anyone needing more than one focus point. I suppose if you are following a bird in flight and the camera is wobbling all over the place, then yes, you might.

The reason I like these Canon vs Nikon discussions is because it teaches me a lot about the people who use them more than anything lol.

Perhaps you should try facebook instead. ;) I'll send you my CV.

The best way to improve your shots is to improve your technique & fieldcraft IMHO

Never a truer word spoken.

In my original post I said this:
To be fair, perhaps she hasn't mastered the Canon system. Many members here on BF have capture great flight shots with their Canons as we've all seen. Perhaps one might think it's better to not have to work harder at it?
So I addressed this already. Besides, this is more fun than facebookB :)

And I played around with my friends 40D a little while ago. My luck tracking birds in flight with her 28-300mm lens (I forget the variable F stop), was about the same as when I use my 70-300mm on my D300. Just keep a focus point on the bird as best you can. So yes worse than when I use my 300mmF4 but that's a prime and therefore not a fair comparison. As for the metering, well I can always use center weighted or matrix (whatever canon calls matrix). I now will try to convince her to let me test drive that camera for a day so I can put up some shots and see how I do.

Another thing I should have mentioned, I wasn't fair, I don't use all 51 focal points myself on the D300. I have it set in the menu for 21. I have the switch on back set for the middle crosshair type which lets you see only one in the middle. That's what I use. Don't now if others are used that are invisible but I don't use the bottom one which really is only one.

400mm5.6, I really really want that lens and Nikon makes no equivalent.

Gps

I can see where it would be useful. If you went on a trip somewhere and found a good spot where you got some nice pictures of specific birds then a reference point of where that was would be handy. For example, I'm going to Scotland shortly and if I found a good place to get shots of one of the specialities it would be nice to have an exact point to refernce for any future trips to the same area.
As such it would also be a fantastic tool for the RSPB or the BTO, if you photographed a rare breeding bird then you could give the exact location of that bird. Also think about the wealth of data that could be collected for many of Britains commonest birds... and you can never have too much data! Imagine how many people there are now with cameras photographing birds and they could simply send a set of co-ordinates to the RSPB and in turn that exact location can be plotted on a map. :t:

That would make for a great RSPB campaign in my view. Unfortunately as it's not filtered down to the consumer models such a thing is way off yet but IMO yes it would be nice to have GPS tagging. Does it affect performance though? Such as buffer or write times to the card, that would change things.
B :)
Adam

Always willing to have a lively debate.
Had Canon made man size bodies for there entry level cameras 3 years ago I would have bought a 350D not a D70s, it had a far smoother and quieter shutter, it was just that the D70s ergonomically was a much better fit. So jump on board the NAS train and I was on a one way journey, couldn't afford to switch unless the numbers came up.
So if Canon had made proper sized entry level cameras I would probably have a 40 or 50D now and would still be taking the same shots.
I'm not affiliated to Nikon its just I have made a choice which I stick too, its not right or wrong its just stuff.

I have to agree about the girly bodies. I think they were designed for Smart car owners, as they don't have much room for carrying stuff.

Always willing to have a lively debate.
Had Canon made man size bodies for there entry level cameras 3 years ago I would have bought a 350D not a D70s, it had a far smoother and quieter shutter, it was just that the D70s ergonomically was a much better fit. So jump on board the NAS train and I was on a one way journey, couldn't afford to switch unless the numbers came up.
So if Canon had made proper sized entry level cameras I would probably have a 40 or 50D now and would still be taking the same shots.
I'm not affiliated to Nikon its just I have made a choice which I stick too, its not right or wrong its just stuff.
Now you have a D300 which has the loudest shutter I've heard so far lol. I really hope that what Nikon announces on the 14th (just two days) is an affordable 400mm F4 or even 5.6 like the Canon version. Doubtful but I'm hoping. WHo knows, if I get to use my friends 40D I may be the only BF member to shoot both brands lol

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back