• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Explorer WA Oasis-C 8x42 Review (1 Viewer)

typo

There have been a couple of previous versions of the Explorer and this one looks physically identical to it's immediate predecessor, the WA, apart from sporting 'Oasis-C' on the focus. It sits at the top of the current range of Chinese made binoculars.
http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/explorer_wa_oasis.html

Opticron Explorer WA (DWCF GA) 8x42

Field of view 131m @ 1000m
Minimum Focus 2m
Eye relief 17mm
IPD 55-73mm
HxW 140x126mm
Weight 670g
Price £209

I must have tried the outgoing model many times over the years, but apologies to Opticron, I didn't find it particularly memorable. This time however things are different. The new name suggest an improvement to the prism coatings but I suspect they've done a bit more than that. This one grabbed my attention as soon as I picked it up. I don't mean I think it's stylish or even good looking but once you put it up to your eyes the view doesn't look like it's 'merely' a two hundred pound binocular.

I saw the new Savanna R listed on the Opticron website a little while back and after a comment here, Opticon offered it for me to review together with this model which hadn't yet been announced. I actually thought it would provide a better benchmark for comparisons with the Savanna R than my usual binoculars but in fact it was other comparisons came under closer scrutiny with the Explorer.

I used the same routine with the Explorer WA as I have for other reviews. It was used from pre-dawn to post-dusk in the woods and fields round when I live, on trips to the local reserve and subjected to my more exacting back yard tests. I'm pleased to say I thought it punched well above it's weight,

Ergonomics

I confess I don't have a great enthusiasm for the fashionable dual hinge designs. At my IPD my fingers rarely sit comfortably, so the more conventional design of the Explorer suites me fine. It fits my hands very nicely with a decent heft. The armour has a harder feel than some but the textured finish gives a reasonable grip, when dry at least, but I've not tested it in the wet. The width between the strap lugs and the lens cap retaining bands is a bit narrow for my hands and it felt more comfortable with the objective covers removed entirely. The lenses are reasonably recessed into the body and I think should be well protected without them. I found the balance good which helps a little with the steadiness of the view. At 5 ½” long and 23 ½ ounces it's neither a big nor heavy binocular, but using it alongside the dainty Savanna R it feels a bit of a brute. It's still almost six ounces lighter and over half an inch shorter than one of the binoculars I use regularly and I imagine most users will find it quite manageable.

The rain guard is quite a tight fit, taking a bit more time to remove than I would like, but on the plus side, it was quite secure and offered better protection than some. I did wonder if the plastic used for the objective covers had sufficient elasticity to stay on in the long term and that might be another reason for taking them off before they fall off.

The focus wheel is a good size with nice substantial ribbing. The coarse adjustment is quite stiff but it feels like high viscosity lubricant rather than mechanical friction and the fine adjustment feels much better. There is an audible click when you reverse direction which was a bit of a distraction at times. From the close focus of 2m to 5m is about half a turn and another half to 10m, there after it is only a very lively quarter turn to infinity. I like a faster focus, but it's a shame it's precision is hampered by a little free play.

The hinge is quite easy to adjust, and though unlikely to move in normal use, I suspect it could change with a modest bump. The IPD range is a slightly unusual 55 to 73mm which is a bit narrower than the most specified 58-76mm and will perhaps favour a younger user slightly but still accommodate most but not all adults so worth checking.

As I reported for the Savanna R, the dioptre adjustment has a very high initial resistance to turning. This will obviously prevent accidental movement, but some might suspect it's stuck. Once on the move it turns quite easily but then will stiffen up again when left.

I didn't fit the neck strap on this review sample but it is a good width, elasticated and padded and should be comfortable to use. The case is reasonably stylish but didn't feel it offered a lot of protection, but then I understand few use them anyway,.

The eye cups are 42mm diameter which is starting to feel a little on the large side and might hamper use at smaller IPDs. There is nice reassuring click as the cups are extended through the single intermediate position to full extension. The eye relief is listed as 17mm but the available ER appears to come in fractionally less than you might expect. With my close fitting glasses full down was perfect, and without them full out was perfect too with no narrowing of the view or blackouts.

Optical Performance

I assume 'Oasis' denotes dielectric prism coatings and the C part, another specification or country to the Japanese made models higher up in the range that use the Oasis name. Together with the AR coatings it produces quite a punchy colour rendition, more typical of much more highly priced binoculars. The blue transmission doesn't match the very best but the rest of the profile appears quite flat with a good extension into the red producing a slightly warm but otherwise very natural colour presentation. On a hazy day it could produce a cleaner view with better contrast than one much pricier binocular I have with better blue transmission.

It seems to be in general terms that models with better blue transmission are often described as being brighter and those with less blue as having a better contrast. This is an impression I understand but may not be technically correct. Instead, I find that each has a colour presentation that suit different light conditions. The warmer models appear at their best under blue skies, but those with a cooler balance render colours better in the redder light at the end of the day. It's very much down to personal preference.

Shining a flash light at the lenses showed the level of reflection of the glass surfaces was a little higher than the best pairs I own, but when viewing it actually took very close scrutiny in extreme light conditions to show that the contrast wasn't quite a match either but I'd rate it pretty good never the less. For the last month a particularly fat pigeon has taken up residence under our feeder and become a useful test target. The Explorer just couldn't quite reveal the feather detail and texture on it's breast that a couple of my other models managed, but it acquitted itself very well.

At this price some competing models will start to feature ED glass, but the results can be pretty variable. The CA control in the centre of the view is very good and while there is fairly strong fringing at the very edge of the view in high contrast situations it is certainly no worse than I've seen in some cheaper models with ED glass. The benefit is usually more evident as you climb the price ladder.

The eyepiece design is not as sophisticated as my better binoculars. A modest astigmatism is evident from about half way between the centre and the edges. There is field curvature but with the 7.5° the overall appearance is a soft and gradual transition to the edges and in good light it feels like most of the view is usable. The Explorer with it's 60° FOV appears to have a bigger sweet spot than my Opticron Classic 7x36 with it's 50° AFOV and sharp edges and I find both quite acceptable. Sharp edges and flat fields cost money.

From time to time I could spot a little glare in the lower half of the view. Holding the binocular away from the eyes, a number of spurious reflections are visible which might account for this. In fact repositioning the eyes pretty much cured the problem. I normally wear glasses and the binocular can slide around a bit so I imagine it will be less of a issue for those that don't use them.

By comparing the effective resolution to visual acuity limit using the binocular it's possible to determine how good it needs to be to avoid being limiting in normal usage for different users. Each user will have an individual threshold determined by their visual acuity. At 7.6 arcseconds for a 20mm aperture the Explorer was a shade behind my best results but should satisfy even the most demanding users in practice. This is better than many much more expensive models I've tried, including some carrying prestige names.

Summary

I've been comparing the Explorer WA to very good examples of binoculars in the £400-£500 range and while it's matched them on some points it came up just a little short on others. It should worry some of those on the price rung just below that in my opinion. I'm sure others might argue that the field of view, edge sharpness or some other aspect are more important, but I concentrate on what's going on in the centre of the view primarily, and it does that very well in my opinion.

Even around the asking price of £209 there are a growing number of models offering ED glass, and while it may not always be effective it is becoming an increasing expectation in a list of features. It would be a shame if the Explorer WA suffered as a consequence. I believe it does as well or better than some cheaper ED models I've tried.

I think it's a very good binocular for the money. I do have binoculars that are better overall at my disposal but it's a rare example of a binocular at this price I'd personally be very comfortable using it in their place.

So far I've only seen a single example and can't say how others would compare, but I'd suggest it's well worth checking out for yourself, particularly if you are on a fairly tight budget, or even if you have set your sights on something a bit higher.

Attachments

• Explorer 1.jpg
    Explorer 1.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Explorer 3.jpg
    Explorer 3.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 337
  • Explorer 4.jpg
    Explorer 4.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 271
Some photo comparisons of three Savanna R and the Explorer WA Oasis-C.

David

Attachments

• 20150802_133945-1-1.jpg
    20150802_133945-1-1.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 20150802_133213-1-1.jpg
    20150802_133213-1-1.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 403
  • 20150802_133744-1.jpg
    20150802_133744-1.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 268
Very nice review David. What price point are these binoculars selling at? Maybe I missed that in the review.

Frank,

Thank you.

The 8x42 msp is £209 here, the same as the previous model, and $335 on the opticronusa.com site.

Cheers,

David

Thanks Lee. The Explorer's should stir things up a bit at the price. I think this one was usefully sharper than some I've tried with fancy badges and much higher price tags.

David

Thanks Lee. The Explorer's should stir things up a bit at the price. I think this one was usefully sharper than some I've tried with fancy badges and much higher price tags.

David

Go on, name and shame. For a reference point of course o:D

At least I know it can't be my wonderful Kowa SV 8-P.

David

Sounds good, but was it free from barely discernable aberrations that could only be seen with exceptional eyesight? :-O

I've always like Opticron stuff, its usually good value for money.

Lee

Sounds good, but was it free from barely discernable aberrations that could only be seen with exceptional eyesight? :-O

I've always like Opticron stuff, its usually good value for money.

Lee

Lee,

I was actually thinking of a couple of models that have already been adversely compared by many here to much higher priced binoculars than the Explorer WA. The difference between the Explorer and the Savanna R is much more subtle.

David

Lee,

I was actually thinking of a couple of models that have already been adversely compared by many here to much higher priced binoculars than the Explorer WA. The difference between the Explorer and the Savanna R is much more subtle.

David

Just having my little joke with you as you were with me, David. I've made a note to myself to have a look at Explorer at Bird Fair.

Lee

Some photo comparisons of three Savanna R and the Explorer WA Oasis-C.

David

Is it me or does that Savana in the photo have a massive knob, I mean focus wheel?

Why so big I wonder?

They both seem a bit boring if I'm honest but that's boringly respectably good, probably? That's the impression I get.

I'm out.

NEXT!!!......

Is it me or does that Savana in the photo have a massive knob, I mean focus wheel?

Why so big I wonder?

They both seem a bit boring if I'm honest but that's boringly respectably good, probably? That's the impression I get.

I'm out.

NEXT!!!......

Clive, this any better?:-O

David

Attachments

• 2015-08-05 10.09.06.jpg
    2015-08-05 10.09.06.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 325
Clive, this any better?:-O

David

Oh WOW!!!

Now that's more um..um..um.....?????

Absolutely Brilliant!!! A+*****

My Kowa 8x32 SV does look a bit of a tart and I suppose your design is just like one Chinese design ripping off another, again. Wonder which Opticron is the Kowa SV equivalent made in the same factory?

I could do without the red bit on the Kowa but I neither loath nor like it, probably do like it as a bit of an oddity but I do like the curves as far as holding them. That does work well. It really is a cracking little bin.

Was out with it again last evening and again I really thought it was great. Strange thing I noticed though was that if I use it with he eyecups folded right down then it somehow looses a lot of contrast but probably accurately reflects the scene but it isn't comfortable that way anyhow due to the eye relief in that it brings my non-glass wearing eyes a bit to close to the oculars.

Then if I use the first click stop, bam, it's as if the prisms had some extra reflective coating added and the contrast goes right up so this may not be possible for people wearing glasses to get this effect. I've never noticed such a difference in other bins at least not to such an extent.

Last edited:
Clive,

It's interesting that Kowa claim thatone of the SV's "most striking attitudes being aesthetic beauty." Not a phrase that springs to my mind or presumably the Kowa rep who was colouring in the red trim with a Sharpie while I was there.:eek!:

It's a couple of years since I last tried the SV. I'd just come from the Nikon stand having tried the Monarch 7 and Pro staff 7 and then the Kowa BD XD and it didn't impress me at all at the time. The Explorer WA has had an upgrade, I've not heard that the SV has as well. I'll try to have a look in a couple of weeks.

David

Last edited:
Ah that's were the red marker idea came from. Gave me a good chuckle, the photo edits. Sort of sexed up the dossier.

Well the paint on this one is nailed on so I would say you may have a pleasant surprise in store. Sounds to me like Kowa have got their game together with this model since. I have it beside me and I'm always taking a break for a peer about with it.

Looking forward to whatever you discover at Bird Fair this year. Leave no bin unturned.

You'll probably see Opticron out with the red markers now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back